Is it dogma that Saint Joseph was also a virgin?

Today one of my children asked me if Saint Joseph was also a virgin like our blessed mother. I had to tell him that I honestly did not know the answer. While the issue of his virginity is less important to the miracle of Jesus’s conception and birth, I thought it was a very reasonable question for my son to ask. I wondered if someone could give me an answer to this question as well as provide the basis of our belief.

Moreover, if the answer is that we do believe that he too was a virgin, I wonder why we do not emphasize this point more, so that St. Joseph could serve as an inspiration to young men who are developing their sexuality identity and making important choices that will impact them for the rest of their lives.

The following link should answer your question about St. Joseph. If you have any further questions, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:

Was St. Joseph also a virgin?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.