Is it forbbiden to eat meat on Fridays?

Hello, I would like to know if it is forbbiden to eat meat on every friday of the year or it is just in Lent's Fridays? Why is it forbbiden?

Are there other days that it is forbbiden to eat meat? Thank you.

The discipline of abstinence from meat on Fridays in Lent and during the year depends upon where you live.

The universal norm of the Church (per canon law) is to abstain from meat on all Fridays during the year. However, the Bishops in a particular area have the authority under canon law to adjust this norm.

For example:
In the US, one may do a different penance on Fridays outside of Lent. During Lent one must abstain from meat as Friday penance.

In England, one is to abstain from meat on all Fridays of the year.

So, where do you live?

I think it depends on where you live Devonsams,

In England and Wales the Bishops re-instated Friday as being meatless in 2011 (see here). I don't think the approach these days is so much to "forbid" meat on Friday, but to ask the laity to make a sign of penance, through abstinence from meat, remembering our Lord's sacrifice for us on that day,

I am from Brazil.

I'm worried with this question, I would like to know if it is true that It is a Mortal Sin eating meat on fridays?

[quote="devonsams, post:4, topic:315958"]
I am from Brazil.

[/quote]

If you are in Brazil, you should check with your pastor. I do not believe that the Brazillian bishops require abstaining from meat during Fridays of Lent as a penance. But, you should double check with your pastor.

I'm worried with this question,

[/quote]

Then talk to your priest, who can tell you what the discipline is in Brazil.

I would like to know if it is true that It is a Mortal Sin eating meat on fridays?

[/quote]

Again, it depends upon where you live, and what your bishop has decided regardig Friday penance.

an oops moment if you forget and have meat? Yes. Mortal sin? NO!

Posted from Catholic.com App for Android

[quote="garn9173, post:6, topic:315958"]
an oops moment if you forget and have meat? Yes. Mortal sin? NO!

I agree - a mortal sin - certainly not.

[/quote]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.