Is it greedy to want to be a saint?

Anyone else here want to be a saint? Sometimes I feel like I’m being spiritually greedy by asking God for this but I can’t help it. I pray that I can trust in Him ever more each day, really rely on Him. At mass I pray that God just uses every ounce of my energy toward doing His will. It is my hope to see Him and give thanks for every loving gift and trial I’ve received. All for His glory. Anyone else feel this way?

Of course not! We are all called to be saints. We should pursue it throughout are lives with great vigor.

“But earnestly desire the higher gifts.” I Cor. 12:13

I am terrified of the bodily suffering that most Saints experienced.

In any case, I don’t care about having Churches named for me, or my name one day being on the calendar; I just want to hide in our LORD’s arms!

ICXC NIKA

We are all called to be saints. Great suffering isn’t mandatory. We all have our struggles and problems. The thing is to let God be the light in your darkness. Whatever causes you much pain, can be used here. Ok, for instance, my daughter stopped communicating with me some time back, and she just had a baby last month. This has been a real struggle for me, causing me a lot of pain. But the one thing that God has been telling me is to sit back and let Him handle the situation. Now, if she were to want to start a conversation with me, the last thing I need to do is throw the book at her. Although that’s what I feel like doing. Maybe hit her over the head with a cast iron skillet? I have to let go and let God take care of the situation. I know that this wouldn’t cause me to be named a saint in the church’s eyes, but it does help me along the road of picking up my cross, dying daily to myself, and follow Jesus.

Do you realize that God only wants the best for you? Not just the good or even the better.
But what I would ask is, in who’s eyes do you want to be a saint? In the church’s eyes? In your eyes? Or in God’s eyes? If in God’s eyes, then you already are, for He has made you a saint by giving you his own righteousness as a free gift. You could never work for such a valuable thing. Sometimes Saints are seen as failures in the eyes of the world, but what God really cares about is just knowing you on a personal basis. That is why He saved you and made you righteous. If He didn’t, then it would be impossible. God has many servants but few friends.

Shalom,
Jerry

Everybody in heaven is a saint whether they are known to the world as a canonised saint or not (that’s why we have all saints day for all the unknown saints in heaven)…so to want to be a saint is basically to want to make it to heaven since everyone in heaven is a saint…so its not greedy

Not greedy. A form of pride. Do you want to be saint to prove you are better than others? Do you genuinely want to follow Christ? Do you love Jesus that much? Being a saint is very noble goal, it will be one of the most difficult things to attain in this life. Keep up with your goal and depend on the Lord.

This is what i worry about, pride. I don’t want anything named after myself I just want to serve the Lord as He sees fit. It has to be in God’s eyes only that I am a saint.

We were not made for this world, but to live with Him forever in heaven. As saints.
God bless.

We, the baptized, were all given new birth, and all have the Holy Spirit, with Sanctifying Grace infused in our souls. It is identical to that Sanctifying Grace infusing the Saints, no less. What is the difference? Growth in the use of that Grace, in using the Virtues that are now part of us by the presence of this Spirit of Christ. They did their doings virtuously, whatever their daily doings were.

You are what they were, in your soul - a new creation, and new creature. So, try it out - “I am going to do this thing I am doing virtuously.” with each thing you do.

Are you driving to work? “I am going to drive virtuously”. Are you making supper? “I am going to prepare the meal virtuously”. Are you talking to a co-worker? “I am going to talk and act virtuously to this person right now.” Are you shopping? “I am going to shop virtuously, spend virtuously, speak to fellow shoppers and clerks virtuously.” Are you at Mass? “I am going to do my part in this sacrifice virtuously.” Are you at confession? “I am going to confess my sins virtuously to the Priest and to Christ virtuously and resolve to amend my life virtuously.” etc.

What happens? The new life in your soul, the soul infused with Virtue, is now in the material world also, and not just in your soul. Now your “body”, including your brain and physical thoughts, is a true representation of your soul.

I am finding all these posts very inspirational and uplifting. Thank you all and God bless you.

No, it’s not greedy. It’s a gift, a blessing from God Himself… everyday I pray that God draws me closer to Himself and never lets me go… and also to do His will always. I don’t think you can pray that unless the Holy Spirit inspires you (and me!)

Come Holy Spirit and fill the hearts of your faithful…

Yes to all please!

It is God’s will for all of us to be saints. This is why Jesus said He was very pleased when St. Faustina told Him about her desire to be a saint.

If you say you want to be a Saint, it is like saying yes to God’s will. All people who end up in Heaven are saints. I mean all.

Why is it more virtuous to want to go to hell instead? :shrug:

Sr. Benigna Consolata asked Our Lord essentially the same thing, and He assured her that if her confidence is in Him, then this desire is very noble.

“This firm resolution to become a saint is extremely pleasing to Me. I bless your efforts and will give you opportunities to sanctify yourself. Be watchful that you lose no opportunity that My providence offers you for sanctification.”

• Jesus to St. Faustina (Sarcelle alluded to this revelation)

What would be vain and presumptuous would be to try and become holy on our own terms and by our own ‘strength.’ Otherwise, “be ye perfect” and love God “with your whole heart…”

Obviously not! I want to say YES to God’s will, not “maybe”.

No! Everyone should want to be a saint. Remember to remain humble and serve Jesus in the most needy. John 3:30 “He must increase; I must decrease.”

But given that most of us are more ready to play football in New Orleans than to exhibit the heroic holiness that is the norm among the recognized Saints, where do we go from here??

Everyone of the baptized is a new creation, a new and divine creature, with the qualities of the Virtues penetrating the depths of their souls as the Holy Spirit dances within them as he moved over the waters of the first creation; the Spiration of the Love of the Father and Son being the breath of this new creature’s soul.

John was asked by the repentant converts, “What should we do now?” and he told them how to do what they are doing as Saints rather than their pre-repentance method of doing the same things

“He who has two tunics, give one to him who has none, and whoever has food is to do likewise” - virtuously use the wealth you have.
To soldiers: .“Do not extort money from anyone by threats or by false accusation, and be content with your wages.” - virtuously do your soldiering today, and virtuously enjoy your pay.
To tax collectors: “Collect no more than you are authorized to do.” - virtuously do your tax collecting now, today.

Later Jesus walked by the tax booth of one of them and said “Follow me”, and later that tax collector wrote a long 28 chapter book about Jesus. Because he did all his doings virtuously, even writing this book virtuously, we now see that this tax collector is a Saint, St. Matthew.

“Where do we go from here?” [GEddie] - do all your going virtuously. There is no “extra life” in New Orleans; you have the Holy Spirit, all Divine Life, united to you already. So go where you are going Alive, rather than going somewhere to get life or to get better life or to get more exciting life.

From here? For myself, I try to perform as many corporal and spiritual acts of mercy as I can. I try to be a positive influence on the people who I work for and those who work for me. With grace I ask for from above I try to tell them from Whom these things are actually coming from.

The Corporal Works of Mercy are these kind acts by which we help our neighbors with their material and physical needs.

feed the hungry
give drink to the thirsty
clothe the naked
shelter the homeless
visit the sick
visit the imprisoned
bury the dead

The Spiritual Works of Mercy are acts of compassion, as listed below, by which we help our neighbors with their emotional and spiritual needs.

counsel the doubtful
instruct the ignorant
admonish sinners
comfort the afflicted
forgive offenses
bear wrongs patiently
pray for the living and the dead

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.