Is it licit for priest to skip both the homily and prayer intensions?

This occurred during daily Mass. I’m fairly certain that a priest may skip a homily at Mass during the week but I thought it odd that the priest also omitted the offertory prayers normally said before the consecration. Both omissions contributed to a 20 minute Mass

The short answer is yes to both. The longer answer comes from the GIRM:

66…On Sundays and Holydays of Obligation there is to be a Homily at every Mass that is celebrated with the people attending, and it may not be omitted without a grave reason. On other days it is recommended, especially on the weekdays of Advent, Lent, and Easter Time, as well as on other festive days and occasions when the people come to church in greater numbers.[65]

1. In the Universal Prayer or Prayer of the Faithful, the people respond in some sense to the Word of God which they have received in faith and, exercising the office of their baptismal Priesthood, offer prayers to God for the salvation of all. It is desirable that there usually be such a form of prayer in Masses celebrated with the people, so that petitions may be offered for holy Church, for those who govern with authority over us, for those weighed down by various needs, for all humanity, and for the salvation of the whole world.[66]

“Recommended” and “desirable” leave room for omission.

If by offertory prayers, you mean the blessing of the gifts (“Blessed are you, Lord God of all creation…”), those are required and cannot be omitted.

I know this happened a time or two, usually with a retired priest. I just figured he forgot because it was not a common thing. I wouldn’t worry about it. Make your petitions in the silence of your heart, say a prayer for the priest.

It is also possible that by “offertory prayers” the OP meant Prayer of the Faithful, the omission of which would be a lot more consistent with omission of the homily, and a lot more likely than the priest moving right to the Prayer of Institution.

Those can, however, be done “secretly” - that is, barely at all voiced. The entire canon can be; it should not be, but can be, save for the people’s public prayers as part of it - the our father, and the I am not worthy…

The following parts may be omitted on weekday masses for non-solemn holy days:
The Gloria #53
The Homily #66
The Creed #68
The universal prayer aka Prayer’s of the Faithful #69*
The individual sign of peace (but not the rite of peace as a whole)**
(If only one person is present) The Ite Missa Est (THe Mass has Ended)*** #272

The following parts may be done “quietly”:
The Gospeler’s prayer before and after the Gospel reading.
The Benedictus, et domine (Blessed are you, O Lord) #142
The priest’s prayer for communion #156
The priest’s prayer at reception: Corpus Christi custodiat me in vitam aeternam (May the Body of Christ keep me safe for eternal life) #158

Certain parts may be substituted for just cause:
Apostle’s Creed for the Credo Romanum
Nicene-Constantinopolitan Creed for the Credo Romanum in languages where the Romanum has issues. (its two words difference, people.)
The Baptismal Promises (When baptisms/confirmations are done at mass)

The use of incense is not required under the current missal, but is always permitted.

• It should not be, but can be, omitted when the mass is public.
    ** the individual conferences can dictate a sign be given, and how it is done.
    *** There are other changes as well in such cases.

Since it was called “prayer intentions” in the title of the thread,I think it is most likely that it was the Prayers of the Faithful that were omitted.

The homily and the Prayers of the Faithful may be omitted during a weekday Mass, that is, Masses on days other than Holy Days of Obligation or the vigil masses thereof; priests are encouraged, however, to retain them.

It is okay to have a 20 minute Mass. Mass doesn’t have to have a certain number of minutes.

Priest today eliminated the Creed. He gave a long homily and said “everyone believes in the creed, right” so we will skip it and go on.:frowning:

Now that’s an actual abuse. The Creed is to be said on Sundays.

Yes, and he has done it before. I really have a difficult time in my heart with him about other things as well.

This is a case where, rather than tell us, you probably should email the priest, citing GIRM Instruction #68, and asking him not to skip it on sundays; CC the bishop as well.

1. The Creed is to be sung or said by the Priest together with the people on Sundays and Solemnities. It may be said also at particular celebrations of a more solemn character.

If it is sung, it is intoned by the Priest or, if appropriate, by a cantor or by the choir. It is then sung either by everybody together or by the people alternating with the choir.

If it is not sung, it is to be recited by everybody together or by two choirs responding one to the other.

(usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/the-mass/general-instruction-of-the-roman-missal/girm-chapter-2.cfm

Note that His Holiness Benedict XVI instructed that we are to do all in ur power to protect the Eucharist and the Eucharistic Liturgy from abuse; Cardinal Arinze put this in Instruction Remtionis Sacramentum:

1. Complaints Regarding Abuses in Liturgical Matters

[183.] In an altogether particular manner, let everyone do all that is in their power to ensure that the Most Holy Sacrament of the Eucharist will be protected from any and every irreverence or distortion and that all abuses be thoroughly corrected. This is a most serious duty incumbent upon each and every one, and all are bound to carry it out without any favouritism.

[184.] Any Catholic, whether Priest or Deacon or lay member of Christ’s faithful, has the right to lodge a complaint regarding a liturgical abuse to the diocesan Bishop or the competent Ordinary equivalent to him in law, or to the Apostolic See on account of the primacy of the Roman Pontiff.[290] It is fitting, however, insofar as possible, that the report or complaint be submitted first to the diocesan Bishop. This is naturally to be done in truth and charity.

(vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccdds/documents/rc_con_ccdds_doc_20040423_redemptionis-sacramentum_en.html)

If you are not comfortable emailing the priest, you still have a right to inform the bishop, since you know it to be an abuse.

I appreciate the seriousness of this question and the good answers that have been given.

Without objection, I’d like to pipe in that I don’t like so much singing at Mass. I used to try to attend Mass 7 days a week, and I got a hoarse voice from singing. Now, I can’t sing for other reasons.

But, we have two churches in our merged parish. the same priest celebrated mass on Sat and Sun, but at first the one and then the other church. In the first, the Mass was 60 minutes in length, with what I’d call “normal” singing, but 75 minutes in the second, due to the belabored amount of singing. I counted up in the neighborhood of over 70 stanzas and choruses to make it through that Mass. This is significant, especially when singing is not even required, if I understand the previous posts. In my opinion, we have an out-of-control control-freak organist.

3 year old thread :shrug:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.