Is it liturgically possible to process with the Eucharist at the start of Mass?

We see that the Crucifix is processed with the two candles at most Masses.

However, I was recently viewing a Corpus Christi Feast day on youtube and I saw the priest processing down the street with the monstrance with red candles.

I have never seen this, but could it be liturgically possible, and reverent, to process down the aisle to the altar with the altar server holding the Monstrance and then placing the Host container inside the tabernacle?

This is such a weird question I am posing, and I would not expect such to ever happen because an altar server (Even of Good age) could trip and that could really cause a disaster.

But just posing a question for thought.

Thanks!

It would not really make theological sense to start a Mass with consecrated bread on the altar.

Are you sure you’re not talking about the Maundy Thurdsday’s procession of the Eucharist in a monstrance for adoration? I’ve never heard of the Eucharist being processed outside of that context (at least in conjunction with the mass) and there are some pretty strict regulations regarding THAT particular procession (as in, an altar server is not allowed to do it)

I think you missed the part of the OP’s post where he said that the Host is placed in the tabernacle once the Monstrance reaches the altar.

There is a significant different in the purposes between a Eucharistic Procession on Maundy Thursday or Corpus Christi that takes place after Mass, and the procession of the priest and servers at the entrance to Mass.

I have never seen this, but could it be liturgically possible, and reverent, to process down the aisle to the altar with the altar server holding the Monstrance and then placing the Host container inside the tabernacle?

My instinct is that, even if it were done reverently, it’s not the right place or time for it. The first part of the Mass is where we prepare our hearts and our minds for the coming of Christ by hearing His Word. Then, Christ comes down to us on the Altar, and then, on these special feast days, we process with Him in the streets - but I have never heard of there being a Eucharistic procession before Mass - it’s a bit like cutting the cake before the wedding ceremony instead of waiting until afterwards - or issuing high school diplomas to children entering kindergarten - it’s out of place and doesn’t make sense.

I think that unless it was announced well in advance, that many people would be taken by surprise, and not be aware that Jesus was Present in the Procession. They would not be prepared to make the reverent gestures (kneeling, etc.) appropriate for His Majesty among us.

I hope that makes sense.

Between the Monstrance and a Priest carrying it, this sounds like adoration, not Mass.

In addition to all the other comments, it would never be an altar server who would carry the Monstrance in procession; that would be the priest, or in the case of a very long procession, a deacon might also assist with the Monstrance. (Not that a priest or deacon couldn’t trip either!) But as others have stated, it would make no liturgical sense to do this. It would render the Eucharistic Prayer almost as an afterthought.

No.

I have seen it a few times. It occurs after Eucharist Adoration when a Mass is about to begin. There is a celebration in the Adoration chapel and the Monstrance with Eucharist is processed up to the front of the Church where the Tabernacle is. Then Mass begins after that.

It’s technically not part of the Mass though, right?

I suppose it is not part of The Entrance. None of these were on Sunday.

XLT adoration is really the only thing similar, but it is not part of a mass obviously. But, the answer to your question would be no JD.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.