Is it "lucky" to die in a state of grace

Luck has nothing to do with anything. God is a God of order, not chaos, and God desires all souls to be saved and go to Heaven.

People do not know the hour that they will meet God because we are supposed to live each day as if there were no yesterday or there was no tomorrow. Not in the sense of being reckless or only thinking in the short-term, but in the sense that we only exist in the present and we aren’t entitled to having a tomorrow. We should be ready at all times and being in mortal sin for even a second only happens through our own fault.

If God were to condemn everyone who knowingly committed a mortal sin there would be very few souls in Heaven! The fact is that God saves many who commit mortal sins but not all. St Paul could have ended up in Hell as could have St Augustine.

Let’s not reduce salvation to “luck”. We’re told to be vigilant and encouraged to be blameless in God’s sight. The man-made concept of “luck” is only an observation on our part and an attempt to explain certain events. Let’s not use it to describe death and salvation.

I think you bring up a great point which illustrates the problematic definition of grace that many have. The bottom line though is this, if you are in Christ through faith, you are in a state of grace. End of sentence. That grace is not based on your works or ability to please God. While your works are the fruit of the faith that the Holy Spirit has gifted you with, they do not justify before God. Only Christ’s blood shed on the cross and received by grace through faith does that. Christ died for your sin, all of it. He didn’t just die for some sin before your baptism. He bore the penalty for all of it.

I would encourage you to think otherwise.

I think it is luck as if you take the example i stated above of Ian and Sarah they both lived fairly normal lives with occasional fallings into mortal sin. We are called to
avoid mortal sin in life but Christ knew that most of us would fail to live lives totally free of M sin so he instituted the sacrament of confession.
The reality of the situation is that Ian died after he went to confession while Sarah died before she went to confession, surely Ian was lucky?

Hardly. You also forget that God is not bound to the Sacraments. If Sarah had perfect contrition, desired forgiveness of her sins, and fully intended to go to confession, then she would most likely be saved. God would not turn His back on her simply because she was in the wrong place at the wrong time: He should forgive her of her sins.

I hope so, God can i am sure work outside the sacraments, sadly many in the church teach that if one dies after commiting a sin before they have the chance to confess
they are damned, i feel there has to be more compassion among Catholics as a great deal of us have committed mortal sins and we should never feel that God would condemn
a sinner unless they were completely despairing of Gods mercy. That said we must always emphasize the sacraments and how vital they are to live a decent Christian life.
While we can i believe be saved in some circumstances without going to confession, not going to confession also means that we increase the chance that we may end up loving sin to the point
where we may not even bother to repent.

As I said, luck is only a conclusion we try to come to based on our (limited) observations. Salvation can’t be whittled down to “luck”, only grace and cooperation with that grace.

Is there really such a thing as luck at all? Is someone who wins 5 million on the lottery lucky? Is someone who avoided going on a bus that was blown up by a terrorist lucky? Where Christs apostles lucky to meet Christ and live with him out of dozens of billions of people across the millennia?

We might say so, based on the conclusions we reach from our limited perspectives. I think that meeting Christ and getting to spend eternity with Him requires a word other than and greater than “lucky”. The idea of luck is rooted in superstition and should be avoided when we’re discussing the spiritual. Feel free to use it in casual conversation, but it truly has no place in a discussion of salvation.

And who are these “many”? I’ve never heard any authoratative figure in the Church state this to be true. Come to think of it, I’ve never heard anyone ever teach that in the Catholic Church.

I think this is the best answer. God is Merciful and he knows our hearts better than we do.

Only place I have heard is by some posters on CAF.

I have heard priests in different churches state in homilies that if we are not in a state of grace when we die that we will end up in Hell. In my example above Sarah was in a state of mortal sin because she had not had the chance to go to confession and only had imperfect contrition.

Well they’re right. Repentance comes before (and even during) death, but not after.

That was not in your OP.

Catholic churches? Again, that has not been my experience.

It depends where you attend Mass, in Britain there are some more traditional churches where it is not uncommon to hear regular preaching on the 4 last things.

Thank you for clarifying. I was wondering if that was the case.
Please remember that God is merciful. No one knows who will find salvation. Only God knows.

I have never heard a priest in a traditional parish say that one is damned if he or she doesn’t confess their mortal sins before they die without also mentioning that God works outside of the Sacrament for those with perfect contrition in the same sentence. They stress the need for confession and perfect contrition, and that mortal sins must be confessed, but they would not say that someone who died with perfect contrition and fully intended to go to confession would be damned.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.