Is it "lucky" to die in a state of grace

Yes you are right, the problem is that most of us have merely imperfect contrition, poor Sarah is going to have a very boring eternity because her contrition was imperfect.

Only God knows whether her contrition is perfect or imperfect, or whether His Mercy alone will save her.
It is not something worth speculating on. Just do what you personally need to do.

Exactly. Perfect contrition is not some unattainable thing or something that only the likes of St. Therese can reach: we all can! If you are so disturbed at the idea of dying with mortal sin on your soul and only having imperfect contrition for your sins, then work towards making it perfect! That is our job here on earth.

How do i do it exactly? can i still have perfect contrition if i fear Hell? or does it have to simply be about fearing God because one does not want to offend him out of love?

Maybe you should replace your fear of God with love of God. Vow to not commit mortal sins out of Love of God.

Yes i feel that i love God but it is hard to get rid of the fear, If only God could tell me face to face that i have perfect contrition or not, it would be so comforting.

Perhaps you should make an appointment with your parish priest and discuss your fears. He would be able to help you. i really feel that fear is your problem more than imperfect contrition, in my opinion.

God gave us freewill. It was her choice to separate herself from God.

Most of us separate ourselves from God occasionally in our lives, it does not mean that most of us can not be saved! A perfect example is St Paul who sinned a lot but came to know the lord, he had mercy on him!

First of all, you don’t know the frequency which people commit mortal sins by, whether it’s someone living today or St. Paul. There is venial sin and then there is mortal sin. Mortal sin is never an accident, and is 100% a choice. While it’s true that salvation is not out of the question just because one occasionally sins mortally, this should not lessen the gravity of mortal sin. It is a rejection so severe that it is spiritual death. While the sin is forgiven, there is still penance to be done for the sin, whether it be in this life or purgatory.

You are right that mortal sin is never an accident, it is something freely chosen by us. We rightly view mortal sin as grave but we hope that God can save a soul that has committed M sin as long as that soul is not despairing of his mercy. I hope that God can save someone who has died suddenly by offering them a chance to confess their sins to him before he separates their soul and body, just because a body appears dead does not mean it is dead.

As an earlier poster said, God’s goal is everyone in Heaven who is willing to go there. It’s the whole reason He underwent the Incarnation and the Passion. While I don’t want to say that God is the direct cause of things like earthquakes or buses, He is never surprised by them either. He knows each soul and what grace it needs to come to Him, and He offers sufficient grace to all. If He permitted those two people to die suddenly, then He knew either that they were in His friendship at death, or would never finally turn from their sin even with a hundred more years of life. God doesn’t do “luck.”

The question is could God offer Sarah a chance to confess her sins to him before he separates her soul from her body?

No, it is not based on luck. The situation you describe would never happen. If Sarah is seeking to confess with a contrite heart, assuming she needs to do so to be saved, God will infallibly ensure that she does. As Jesus promises:

Matt. 7:[7] Ask, and it shall be given you: seek, and you shall find: knock, and it shall be opened to you.

He elaborates on this elsewhere:

John 16:[24]…Ask, and you shall receive; that your joy may be full.

The condition on His promise is to give what we seek is that it make our joy full, that is, it is good for our salvation (that’s what full joy is).

Secondly, He also desires all to be saved (see also 1: Tim 2:4):

Matt. 18:[11] For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost. [12] What think you? If a man have an hundred sheep, and one of them should go astray: doth he not leave the ninety-nine in the mountains, and go to seek that which is gone astray? [13] And if it so be that he find it: Amen I say to you, he rejoiceth more for that, than for the ninety-nine that went not astray. [14] Even so it is not the will of your Father, who is in heaven, that one of these little ones should perish.

Therefore, God grants us anything we seek if it is conducive to our salvation. In fact, if He denies what we seek it means not getting it is even better for our salvation. The Roman Catechism sums this up when discussing this principle of prayer:

For God will either grant what is asked, and thus they will obtain their wishes; or He will not grant it, and that will be a most certain proof that what is denied the good by Him is not conducive either to their interest or their salvation, since He is more desirous of their eternal welfare than they themselves.

As I said before, a contrite person on their way to confession is seeking sanctifying grace itself, therefore getting there safely and being absolved is always conducive to their salvation and the Lord promises that the person will find what he or she seeks.

God knows how much time we need if we are to return to Him. He also knows who would not return to Him. Ultimately, this is a bit of a mystery since we cannot see the whole picture like God can.

Some mortally sin and instantly receive the prompting from the Holy Spirit and turn back. Some are left to wander the desert of sin for a while before they receive that grace–I know some very saintly people who would not be as saintly if they didn’t first sink to the depths of sin. Some are called at “the eleventh hour” and convert on their death bed–which shows that even a lifetime of sin can be forgiven. Some, sadly, harden their hearts to grace to the end.

In your scenario, perhaps God forsees that Sarah is not contrite and would persevere to the end in sin. If she were contrite and seeking salvation, the omnipotent all powerful God will make sure she finds it.

In the case of Sarah if she was imperfectly contrite could God offer her the opportunity to confess her sins to him just before he separates her soul from her body? We know that God can offer salutary repentance to those who have committed suicide, could he offer Sarah the chance to have confession with him or a saint before he separates her soul from her body?

I think whatever worked best for His designs, He would either give her the grace of perfect contrition or ensure she survives to confess. As someone else mentioned, God directs all things and leaves nothing to chance–a hypothetical might be a set of circumstances God would never direct and therefore it would never happen.

Psalm 33[8] The angel of the Lord shall encamp round about them that fear him: and shall deliver them…[19] The Lord is nigh unto them that are of a contrite heart: and he will save the humble of spirit.

Thank you, a very reasonable answer

It’s more than just this. The only reason the Sacraments have any power is because God gives them power. They are 100% reliable, yes, but that’s because God is 100% reliable.

If Sarah had perfection contrition, she will be saved, not most likely.

According to private revelation by mystics: yes.

God can prompt a soul towards perfect contrition provided that the soul gives consent.

We need to remember here that we can’t experience any contrition without God’s assistance. So God is always necessary whether or not one is about to die.

I think it’s just wrong, because it’s not all those who commit mortal sin, who go to Hell, some have the grace to repent before dying. So someone can commit mortal sin hoping to have grace later to repent. Committing a mortal sin means that Hell is possible, but that does not mean that Hell is certain. It is God who ultimately decides to give an ultimate grace of repentance, or to punish from hell anyone who has committed a mortal sin.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.