Is it lying to tell someone you did something they asked which is wrong when you didn't really do it?

I think the title summarizes it best. Thanks

IMNAAHO, yes it’s wrong; we should uphold the right with our voice (or by not using our voice) as well as our actions.

ICXC NIKA.

Whereas I don’t think it is wrong to lie in certain situations eg.to protect oneself from evil intentions ,but this is definitely wrong as also by not doing ’ it’ ,and making the person think it has been done,you may cause serious conséquences.

So you need to be brave and own up.If you do not have the courage to faire face with this person ,write it down nd send it .

Yes, it’s lying to tell someone you did something when you really did not do it. Whether the thing was “wrong” or “right” to do is irrelevant.

Is there a reason you couldn’t tell the person the truth? (I don’t expect an answer; maybe just ask yourself why you can’t tell this person, “No, I didn’t do it” and/or “I didn’t do it because it’s wrong.” Good luck and God bless.

If they asked you to do something wrong, why agree in the first place?

Good question :confused:

“All that is needed for evil to prosper is for good men to do nothing” Edmund Burke.

In the Anglican BCP General confession we have a line “for what we have done and for what we have left undone (or failed to do)”. If someone is trying to get you to do something wrong there is an unstated obligation to bring the evil to light (can be done by simply saying “no” to the request). By not doing so, you are giving the impression that a Christian is on board with doing wrong things.

Sounds like a good opportunity for faith and character building!

I run into this problem when people make suggestions to me on things I should do or try that I have no interest in. For instance, when they say I HAVE to read a particular book, or I HAVE to watch some TV show because it’s so funny, or I HAVE to try some product. Sometimes people can be really persistent about that sort of stuff! It’s tough to be honest when they ask me later if I did try these things and I didn’t, and it can be uncomfortable because I don’t want to lie and I don’t want to insult them. I’ve learned to either just look into what they’ve suggested so I can honestly tell them I did and it’s not for me, or just be honest and say I’m not interested. It’s hard to do when someone is convinced that because they love it so much, so will I!:rolleyes:

Yes it’s lying…but why lie? Have the guts to say " no I didn’t do it because it’s wrong!"

Amen. And that’s one of the blessings about getting old - it’s so much easier to tell the truth! I no longer care what people think, only what God thinks.

Yes: it’s lying.

I can relate to this and I think Bonnie nailed it --I find that the older I get, the more honest I am. Maybe I just don’t care what people think about me so much anymore, but it’s very freeing. Much better than trying to come up with excuses or looking into things you don’t really care about.

I highly recommend honesty for all life’s situations. As long as you are polite about it, the person should not feel offended.

Hi Tolkien13,

According to the CCC - " To lie is to speak or act against the truth in order to lead someone into error." So sounds like yes, that would count as a lie unless you weren’t trying to lead them into error.

However since you were really trying to avoid doing something wrong the gravity of the act is significantly reduced.

Hope that helps!

I’m better than I used to be, thankfully. I just need to stand strong even when someone seems like they’ll be offended if I don’t try whatever they’re suggesting. And a side benefit to honesty is that once you’ve made you’re point, they stop bugging you! :wink:

Yes.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.