Is it moral to play and perform disordered music?

I’m in a small motley band and we have been playing two Star Wars songs that I suspect have internal problems with the music: Darth Vader’s theme and the one about the “force” being with someone (I don’t like using its title).

I am fairly certain, more so with the first, that they are intrinsically disordered to move the soul to vice. Because of this, it would be a sin to deliberately play them (I think).

I have been playing them at rehearsal, with some qualms, but also afraid to voice my concerns about them, because I am afraid to offend the director, since I and my parents have had a good, close relationship with him for over six years. I don’t play the songs when I practice.

I’m concerned about this since the concert is on Tuesday.

Would it be human respect to play the songs?

Apparently yes. Your conscience is activated, and influence of human respect will always modify disorder into it.

The duties of one’s state of life ought to be performed regardless of human respect. An upright heart chooses his or her acts to please God alone.

I think you’re being rather scrupulous:shrug:

If we started defining music as "disordered, we’d have to throw out a lot of classical music. For example, Hector Berlioz’s “Symphony Fantastique” was likely partially written while the composer was under the influence of opium. And then there’s the Germanic paganism in much of Wagner’s work :bigyikes:

Next to those, John Williams’ Star Wars themes are pretty small beans.

^If you’re worrued about Star Wars songs being intrinsically disordered, please speak to someone about that to put your mind at ease. I can’t see any way myself how that could be.

You are overthinking…

Praying for uou.

You should not be forced to do something you have qualms about. This is not being scrupulous and those who do not see a problem with disordered music are the devil’s advocate. Chris Cornell, may God have mercy on his soul, recently took his own life. Here is a list of ‘grunge’ artists whose troubled lives ended tragically

Is Grunge Cursed?
digitalmusicnews.com/2017/05/18/grunge-is-cursed-chris-cornell/

montfort.org/content/uploads/pdf/PDF_EN_85_1.pdf

click on find on page in your browser and type Condemnation of the world ( the title of the hymn). This is a hymn from St. Louis de Monfort - there is an important aspect to consider in the claim of being scrupulous.

Well, I see the Star War music, esp. “May the Force be with You”-as a non confrontational way of telling the listener that there is a “Force” greater than what a lot of non-believers would knowingly acknowledge as the unknown-unnamed God ;i.e. the Christian God. I don’t see a problem with that if it draws us to the ONE TRUE GOD. However, I tend to see things in and from a different perspective. Disordered music doesn’t attract a lot of listeners and musicians as it just isn’t ‘music to the ears.’ I don’t think it is moral or immoral-just a lot of noise to me-but then-what do I know! :slight_smile:

You’re being scrupulous. What is ‘disordered’ music? If the song is full of blasphemous lyrics then performing it may legit be a problem for you. But a tune by itself? The devil’s tritone is a myth. Catholic Answers even has an article about it.

Here’s Chris Jericho, professional wrestler, metal musician and Christian, talking about themes of evil in music like Black Sabbath.

youtu.be/ewzzmI_Ff9s

I myself play guitar and a lot of what I lean towards is doom and black metal inspired. I find the music beautiful, atmospheric and awesome.

Hey, if you have a problem with a piece of music, that’s fine. But maybe examine why you have a problem with it. Relying too much on emotional reactions is the basis of scrupulosity. God gave us reason as well.

Disordered music is one thing. Thinking the orchestral themes of Star Wars are disordered is something else entirely.

We’re not talking about music filled with swear words and vulgar talk and imagery.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=G2nJlE9CNeo
m.youtube.com/watch?v=l_bgAKATS68

You sound scrupulous. Play the music. There is no problem and no sin.

How can notes - remember, at issue here are musical sounds, not words - be “disordered?” Before calling-out people as diabolical because they don’t see a problem with a specific wordless melody, you need to explain how such in your view can even be “disordered.” The tune to which is set the U.S. National Anthem - “To Anacreon in Heaven” was an old drinking song. Disordered? Stravinsky’s “Rite of Spring” was based on pagan myths. Disordered? Wordless melodies are a long way from Grunge.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.