Is it more righteous to pray to rather than ask from?

Would it be nobler to glorify God with our prayers rather than to ask God to fulfill some mundane or even desperate desire?

Sometimes.

It behooves us to make petitions to God. By doing so, we acknowledge our utter inability to care for ourselves. Petition is a very important part of both vocal and mental prayer (meditation).

On the other hand, sometimes there is a need or suffering we have which is such that we stand to merit more by offering it up for God’s glory, not asking for the issue to be removed, but making the intention to suffer as a mortification.

Both of the above are good, and it is up to the individual to choose which is more appropriate at a given time (with direction from a spiritual advisor if the situation makes that helpful). I would not say that to choose to suffer as a mortification is more “righteous” as you said in the title, but in some cases, it could be described as “nobler”, in the sense that we are putting aside “self” and instead looking to God.

You’re not in a formal interview. Pour your heart out. Remember the prayer acronym. ACTS which lists the component parts of which our prayers should consist: Adoration, Contrition, Thanksgiving, and Supplication. Try to include some of each in your prayers. Throughout the day it’s good to pray in short bursts with little acts of Adoration or Contrition or Reparation. Lots of little Thank You’s too.

I think yes, but it’s something that should come naturally as a Catholic becomes holier. The closer we get to God, the more our desires are in line with God’s, the less reason we have to ask God to fulfill our desires. Also, we are meant to have some desires on earth. That’s one of the reasons why we work so hard to go to heaven. No matter how good our lives can be on earth, we still have basic needs and still feel something missing. We need to be with God. We can get a taste of that on earth, but we won’t be satisfied until we are in heaven with God. It’s perfectly normal to have this desire, but still, in this case, the holier person trusts God enough that they don’t need to pray for this all the time. Assuming they are living a holy life, they just trust it will happen and don’t need to pray for it.

Though our relationship with God is obviously not summed up in one dynamic, there is a parent-child relationship between us and God. Children have to ask for things from their parents. Saint Therese’s Story of a Soul is a beautiful book if you haven’t read it already; she lived a sort of spiritual childhood.

Also, in the Gospels, Jesus gave people wine at the wedding of Cana and also washed His disciple’s feet and made breakfast for them. I don’t think that Jesus is “above” providing seemingly mundane things for people.

Does not matter. All God wants is for us to go to him.

I can understand prayer to glorify God, or to ask forgiveness of our trespasses, but to ask for a new job, or nice weather so that the little league game wont get cancelled, or for a bed to open up in a booked hotel room, and on and on…are we abusing the spiritual purpose of prayer? Do we tempt God by asking for ridiculously mundane and borderline selfish things?

Not necessarily. For better or worse, our needs are often what drive us to a truly sincere prayer. And God knows that-and is just waiting to hear from us. Often people in the the NT came to Jesus because of their needs. Admitting to our limitations and needfulness is an act of humility-the very thing that overcomes pride and it’s resistance to God. We’re needy:).

Are you saying that because I really really want a corvette which carries over into the sincerety of my prayer that God would be pleased I prayed for this because of my sincerety? Seems prayer has become a tool used to get what one wants and not as much to Glorify God as to satisfy our own neediness. Even Jesus in the desert in the hrs of his “neediness” assailed by satan himself did not pray for legions of angels giving us the advice not to tempt the Lord our God. We should pray to God’s glory and our own forgivance like Jesus showed us how to. Not for rediculous self centered wishes as if we were to parrish if we didn’t get what we wanted instead of what we need. So many prayers on here sound like a Santa clause wish list or desperate plea for a cure all as if God otherwise wouldn’t care.

I said needs, not wants-not sure why you carried on so. :slight_smile: God uses our needs, Everyone who came to Jesus for healing died later on anyway. But the faith that prompted the plea to begin with-and the even greater faith yet that was fostered as a result of the healing, is what pleases God.
**“And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.”
** Heb 11:6

Your prayer should start or end with - “May thy will be done not mine” - Jesus say the Father already knows what you need before you even pray - The Father’s will is done not ours in the answering of our prayers. The Our Father is the perfect prayer what more could you ask for?

beautifull person,
That is my whole point. Many prayers on here seem to have blurred the lines between wants and needs. I carry on so because more and more people on here seem to have a misleading idea of what prayer is for. What would please God I imagine would be a proper respect for the difference between the two. Whats being done to prayer is whats been done to “Christmas” which has gotten to the point where even atheists will celebrate Christmas merely because its “fun” with no reverence to God intended. Worse though is those who earnestly believe they are showing reverence to God through their prayers but are merely exhibiting a form of selfish expression. A mark against the spirit of charity. I’m sure one can have faith in a misapropriate prayer as much as a proper one. Not that a prayer need be rigid and formulistic but in the spirit of Glorifying God. One cant be too careful though since the bible says some will believe they are doing right but it will only lead them straight to death.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.