Is it necessary to state when last confession was?

I made my confession recently but deliberately avoided stating when my last confession was. I didn’t want to say that it was the previous day thinking that the priest might say I was scrupulous.I am battling with severe temptations against chastity so frequent confession is necessary but I’m wondering if witholding this information invalidated things.

I don’t think it is necessary. I think it’s used as an “indicator” of your relationship with God. But that’s just my opinion. Feel free to disagree. :slight_smile:

A lot of people can't even remember when their last confession was. But, I would suggest, in addition to going to confession frequently, you may want to add a daily rosary to your prayers - it's amazing how the Virgin Mother can help you fight off temptations of the flesh.

I agree with CrispSnowflake.

The time since your last confession is an aid to the priest (and to yourself) to indicate what kind of spiritual direction you might need in addition to absolution.

If you are going to confession extremely frequently that could mean you are undergoing some kind of spiritual "attack" or it could mean that you are suffering from scrupulosity. If you are going to confession too infrequently then you might not be taking sin seriously enough.

It's not absolutely required (as far as I know) but I would think that if a priest asks (because you don't tell) that you would be expected to answer honestly.

as stated above I think it helps to be hoenst in this respect towards god because it can helps in your own conviction and your priest can give you spiritual direction or a penance that is in correspondence to your confession…

I know personally that it is sometimes regretful to go so often and state it because you feel bad but it does help for you to avoid sin and become stronger and being honest with god is never a bad thing

When you confess that you did sin A x times it helps the priest to know if that was in a week or in year.

[quote="Jaffacake, post:1, topic:331855"]
I made my confession recently but deliberately avoided stating when my last confession was. I didn't want to say that it was the previous day thinking that the priest might say I was scrupulous.I am battling with severe temptations against chastity so frequent confession is necessary but I'm wondering if witholding this information invalidated things.

[/quote]

Yes you should state when your last confession was.

I usually go to confession weekly but one Saturday was different. I went to confession in the morning and I really messed up just a few hours later and I went back later that same afternoon. I did say, "Bless me Father for I have sinned. My last confession was this morning". He was ok with that understanding that sometimes our weaknesses don't wait for certain periods of time. I think that confession should be utilized when needed. There are those who are scrupulous but I think that the priest can spot that and give guidance in that area. If I were you I would have stated it and, by the nature of your sin, I don't think he would have advised you to wait. This is just my opinion and either way your sins are forgiven. For that you shall rejoice!! God bless.......................................teachccd :)

Thanks for all the replies. I checked with a priest who told me that it didn't make the confession invalid but in future I should always state the time since my previous confession. Frequent confession has been very necessary for me in trying to overcome habitual sin.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.