Is it normal for a teen catechumen to

Be really interested in the priesthood? Like really love reading about it and such? I’m 16 and I find it really interesting :o

yes once the heart has been open to the action of the Holy Spirit this is certainly one response.

ask to talk to the priest about it. About your age they have vocations retreats for teens in many dioceses and seminaries.

Yes! I know that a number of male catechumens have a tendency to look at the priesthood. You may have a vocation! I was reading on some vocations' test that constantly thinking about the priesthood and reading priesthood material may indicate that you hear the call.

That's good.pray aand recieve Our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament often.

When I was in the seminary, many of my non-sem friends asked, "You're gonna be a priest?" My response was usually, "I'm not sure, maybe someday. But I'm 100% sure that I will be a seminarian for the priesthood today and tomorrow."

It's a journey that takes much prayer, reflection, and listening. I'd advise you to listen each day and avoid the distant future; it's enough to handle one day at a time.

BTW, I did not become a priest, but I value my time of discernment and am the person that I am because of it.

Kyrie Eleison,

Glennonite

My son started thinking about becoming a priest during his conversion to Catholicism too. He is your age now and continues to discern.

If God is calling you, then its not unusual for you to feel called. I felt my calling during the same age for similar reasons. This is why the discernment period is so long. Take your time and follow God. I thought the fact that I was 27 with no prospects or desire to marry were evidence that God must want me to become a priest. Then he hit me over the head at one moment in time that lead me to my wife of 22 years. Together we are continuing my formation to become a deacon one day. God's will be done.

I'm a candidate and 22 and I am going through the exact same thing. I'm still unsure if this is right for me though. I've never really been in a relationship before, so it looks like something to consider. This is definitely a vocation that will forever change your life. ;)

[quote="blanc10, post:7, topic:238531"]
I'm a candidate and 22 and I am going through the exact same thing. I'm still unsure if this is right for me though. I've never really been in a relationship before, so it looks like something to consider. This is definitely a vocation that will forever change your life. ;)

[/quote]

Don't worry. This way, you'll never have to think for the rest of your life, "What if I ignored God's call?"

God won't kidnap you; the seminary means "a place where seeds can grow." Each day it will feel more and more "right". Or it will not. In the seminary, discernment is the name of the game, not certitude.

I was 22 when I entered; I was 3-4 years older than most of my classmates who came in right after highschool. And it is a joyful place. You'll have friends who are asking and listening about the same things that you are. There are teachers who will teach you Math, and Philosophy, and how to grow in service of God's sheep.

Mother Theresa said, "I don't worry about it; I wonder about it." :)

Glennonite

I think everyone should go on at least one retreat to see if they might be called to the priesthood or religious life.

Even if you are dating or interested in someone, it could just be you thinking that is the “natural” response since our culture seems to teach that everyone should get married. And most dating relationships don’t end in marriage anyway; most people date several people before finding the person they’re called to marry.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.