Is it o.k. for me to go to a nonCatholic bible study?

I have been invited to a bible study at a noncatholic church(bible church)is this a good idea.

I don’t recommend it. As a former Evangelical, I’ve seen firsthand what happens when Catholics attend Protestant Bible studies: They eventually leave the Church. If you attend a Protestant Bible study you’ll learn some of the following things:

1. Baptism isn’t necessary for salvation

2. The Bible is the only infallible source and rule of faith (the Bible alone)

3. Believers have the right of private interpretation of the Bible

4. Divorce and remarriage is allowed

5. Once saved always saved (most Protestants believe this)

6. Praying to saints is unbiblical

7. Mary had other children

8. Confessing sins to a priest is not biblical

9. Jesus is speaking symbolically in John 6 (Eucharist).

10. You don’t have to go to church every Sunday

I could go on and on, but I think you get the point.

The Fathers of the Second Vatican Council taught: “We believe that this one true religion continues to exist in the Catholic and Apostolic Church, to which the Lord Jesus entrusted the task of spreading it among all people (Mt 28:19-20)…all persons are required to seek the truth, and when they come to know it, to embrace it and hold fast to it” (Second Vatican Council, Declaration Dignitatis humanae, 1.).

Of course the Church acknowledges that many truths are found in other ecclesial communities, however, those “…ecclesial communities which have not preserved the valid Episcopate and the genuine and integral substance of the Eucharistic mystery, are not Churches in the proper sense; however, those who are baptized in these communities are, by Baptism, incorporated in Christ and thus are in certain communion, albeit imperfect, with the Church.” And, the Christian faithful are…”not permitted to imagine that the Church of Christ is nothing more than a collection—divided, yet in some way one—of Churches and ecclesial communities; nor are they free to hold that today the Church of Christ nowhere really exists, and must be considered only as a goal which all Churches and ecclesial communities must strive to reach.”
Source: Dominus Iesus

Further reading:

How I Led Catholics Out of the Church
God bless you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.