Is it Obliging People to Work if they were Already Obliged by Someone Else? (Questions Regarding Honoring the Sabbath)

Hello all. I keep getting mixed information on this issue, so I decided to ask the Catholic Forums for help. Lets just say, on a Sunday, I want to go the GameStop and get some Microsoft Points so that I can play the Xbox One version of *Minecraft *(I am not a little kid, I am a college student :)). The people who are working in GameStop were already obliged to work on this day by their bosses. I most certainly hope I would not call someone on a day of rest to get back to work just so that they can provide me access to Minecraft. But, after getting home and creating extravagant kingdoms in Minecraft on my Xbox One, I would feel like, although I did not oblige that person to begin with, that I further obliged that person to work.

So, is it sinful to make use of a person’s services on a Sunday even though they were already obliged to work? Is it wrong for me to go out with my family to Jollibee after Mass concludes on Sunday? Can I even order Godzilla on the internet on a Sunday or get tech support to help me with a computer-related problem? What exactly can you do on a Sunday that would not incur sin? Is there anything else I should know?

I thank you all in advance. Please cite the Bible, Catechism, Priests’ advice, etc.

Read about Sunday in the Catechism:

vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s2c1a3.htm

It is not a sin to visit a restaurant on Sunday. Buying or playing video games is not inherently sinful but should not be the focus of your Sunday.

The people working at Game Stop are working whether you go there or not. They have already made the personal decision that it is okay to work there on Sunday. Aren’t catholics allowed to work on Sundays anyway if their job requires them to do so?

Whether it is Gamestop or McDonalds or the grocery store, they are already open and these people are already committed to work whether you go in or not. Unless you are willing to to completely isolate yourself on Sunday and do nothing, I wouldn’t worry about it. You are being overly scrupulous.

Yes that is correct.

Except that if no one gave them business, they wouldn’t open. So by shopping on Sunday, we’re encouraging them to stay open. I’m not saying it’s an absolute, but it’s not like their commitment to work is absolute either.

Yes, but Op struggles with scruples and his ideas are off base and one person not shopping or eating out on Sunday isn’t not going to make any difference in the matter on whether shops are open for business.

Ditto!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.