Is it ok for Catholic people to use Ouija Boards?

Me and my friend bought this Ouija Board, we want to try to talk to a dead friend that we had and talk to my dead Uncle.

[quote="William_P, post:1, topic:203263"]
Me and my friend bought this Ouija Board, we want to try to talk to a dead friend that we had and talk to my dead Uncle.

[/quote]

I'm not sure which is more ironic: that the correct answer is that this is "grave matter" (potentially a mortal sin) or that you posted this under "family life."

But, to be clear, no - it is not ok for Catholics to use Ouija Boards.

Absolutely not. Anyone that says its "child's play", doesn't understand that board is a tool for demonic activity. Stay away from such things.

[quote="Paganus, post:2, topic:203263"]
I'm not sure which is more ironic: that the correct answer is that this is "grave matter" (potentially a mortal sin) or that you posted this under "family life."

But, to be clear, no - it is not ok for Catholics to use Ouija Boards.

[/quote]

Sorry if I posted in the wrong place, thanks for your opinion!

[quote="PatriceA, post:3, topic:203263"]
Absolutely not. Anyone that says its "child's play", doesn't understand that board is a tool for demonic activity. Stay away from such things.

[/quote]

Thanks for answering!

[/quote]

Short answer: No. Ouija Boards are occult tools and are forbidden by the Catholic Church, as is any type of diviniation, fortune telling, or anything designed to foresee the future.

Long answer: A little bit about Ouija boards -

A Ouija board is a board with the letters of the alphabet and numbers 0 - 10, plus phrases such as "yes" and "no" on it. The participant(s) place hands on a gliding pointer that selects letters, words, or numbers in response to questions posed to it.

In most cases, people use Ouija boards to try to contact ghosts, spirit guides, angels, and other beings like faeries and minor demons or imps.

There are three problems with using the Ouija board (or any other method) to try to contact the dead.

1) It doesn't work.

Although I disagree with Penn and Teller on their attitude toward the Catholic Church, I have seen episodes of their show BS because I do enjoy seeing how they answer some questions scientifically. On one show they had a group of people demonstrate the use of a Ouija board. The occultists who tried it got convincing answers to a series of questions they posed to a "ghost" supposedly haunting a place. When a group of regular people were blindfolded, and the Ouija board secretly turned without their knowledge, they got nonsense answers to their questions, including the glider sliding over to a blank space for "yes," where the participants had known yes was, but wasn't any longer (the board being turned and all).

See, Ouija boards are designed to work based on unconscious movement - your hands will move in the direction you want them to go, whether you're thinking about it consciously or unconsciously. If you want answers to questions like, "Oh great spirits, will my boyfriend propose next week on our date?" you will unconsciously guide the moving slider to the answer "yes" if that is what you're really hoping for.

From "The Straight Dope" straightdope.com/columns/read/1798/how-does-a-ouija-board-work :

'What makes the pointer move? An effect similar to that which occurs in dowsing, known as the ideomotor effect. This is a fancy name for involuntary/unconscious movement, such as a dowser's hand flicking enough to move his stick when he passes over an area he knows has water. ...The basic point is that your muscles can move without your consciously thinking, "move to the word YES." As the Skeptic''s Dictionary says, "suggestions can be made to the mind by others or by observations. Those suggestions can influence the mind and affect motor behavior. What is purely physiological, however, appears to some to be paranormal." In other words, if you believe this stuff and are trying to get the spirits to answer questions proving that they are all-knowing, and you ask a question that you already know the answer to (for example, "What's my father's name?"), odds are that your own hands will do the rest by spelling out your answer. That's where trying it blindfolded comes in (provided you haven't memorized the board, obviously). If it's spirits, they should be able to guide your hands no matter whether you can see or not. But if it's you doing it unconsciously, the blindfold will screw things up.'

2) If someone else is using the board for you or with you, that person can use it to con you.

The practice of "cold reading" is one that goes back as far as magicians have been around (a pretty long time, considering Pharaoh had magicians who pretended to be able to do everything Moses did). A "cold reading" is where a "psychic" or other person who is trying to scam you learns a lot about you in a very short amount of time and attributes it to either an innate ability or the spirits talking to him. An example - suppose I never met you before but I saw that you had no watch on and that both your arms were tan, with no line where a watch would be. I could casually mention that I "sense" you're someone who doesn't worry about time very much and that you're not always good at keeping appointments. If I happen to see a name tatooed on your arm, I could make a comment about a loved one or someone very close to your heart. If you're a young man coming in to see me, I could take a gamble and say, "I sense you're troubled and disquieted about your love life. There's a dark-haired woman who is constantly on your mind." Now, most people are heterosexual, more people are dark haired than blond or red-headed, and a lot of folks going to see psychics focus on their love life, so these are all random guesses that could fit anything, and seem to be the works of a psychic.

In the same way, if you use a Ouija board with another person, that person has a chance of controling the outcome, moreso if that person has something to gain either by conning you out of something, or just wants to scare you, or has something else on his mind. You said that you're going to do this with your friend - well, your friend knows an awful lot about you, and may remember (consciously or unconsciously) about things that happened in the past, things that you think only you and your deceased uncle or deceased friend might have known about. That would play to your belief that the dead are actually speaking to you, and could spiral out of control if you keep at it.

These two are practical, down to earth reasons to avoid using a Ouija board, but the third reason, which I will post separately for the sake of room, is the most important.

It's a piece of cardboard and plastic that's only going to tell you what you want to hear via your own movements and is going to be a waste of your time at best.

And now, for the BIG reason to stay away from Ouija boards:

3) Sometimes they DO work.

After death, there are three possibilities for the human soul - Heaven, Purgatory, and Hell. People in Heaven are with God and enjoying themselves, waiting eagerly for the arrival of their loved ones, praying for those of us here on Earth, and asking God's favors for us on our behalf. They're Saints, and as such they are sometimes employed by God to help bring us to fuller faith. That means that sometimes God performs miracles through their intercession - I lose my child and pray to St. Anthony, the patron of lost things, to help me find him in a crowd, and suddenly he appears where I just looked for him. That's a miracle of intercession. Sometimes the Saints and the Blessed Mother of God will appear to people to give them private revelations. These are all good communications with people of God, permitted by God for the sake of saving souls and ending strife.

Those in Purgatory are working toward Heaven. They are paying off the debt of sins that were forgiven by God but which they still owe to Him and to the people they hurt. These people mostly work off their sins and pray for us and each other, as they're part of the Communion of Saints - they will become Saints after they have expelled their vices from them and are purified. At times, God allows some of them to visit the living, either to offer help in serious situations (as he does with the Saints), or to appeal to the living to make certain sacrifices to help them get out of Purgatory. Padre Pio, for example, was visited by appiritions who asked him to pray the Mass for them, so that they could be released from their punishment. Likewise, St. Faustina was asked by nuns in Purgatory to pray for them, that they could be freed.

In both the cases of Heaven and Purgatory, God is the one sending these people (they are still people, despite being dead) to living men with one goal in mind - the salvation of souls. God is the actor here. People in Heaven and in Purgatory do not visit us of their own will, but by the will of God. They do it out of love for God and for their fellow men - us. At NO time will a soul in Heavne or Purgatory answer the call of a Ouija board or other device of mediums except when sent by God to stop the travesty. And the only instance of something like that happening that I'm aware of was in the Bible.

That leaves Hell.

You don't want to mess with anyone in Hell. Hell is where people who have actively rejected God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit go. Hell is where people suffer unendingly, with the worst suffering being the pain of their loss and rejection, and all other pains just adding to it. Hell is where beings who are angry and vengeful and envious of the living are, because we have a chance to be with God. They want us to be miserable, right along with them. They can't have happiness, so they want everyone to be unhappy. They can't have God, so they want no one to have God. They will work hard to lead you astray, to make you think things that are against Church teaching, and ultimately to make you suffer. They will answer to a Ouija Board summons, pretending to be whomever you want them to be.

It's worse if you get a demon (demons and angels occupy only Heaven or Hell, but as far as intent go, they're the same as dead people - angels will NEVER answer to an occult calling, and demons will ALWAYS want to make humans miserable), but demon or dead human, either way you'll be lead away from God. Their goal is to make you suffer horribly, because they are so removed of pity, so empty of love and understanding, that they want only to hurt others. It gives them no joy, but it gives them a sick satisfaction.

Do people or demons in Hell always answer Ouija board calls? No. Sometimes they like to sit back and watch you make a jackass of yourself without their help, and if you're busy falling on your own, they can enjoy the show while working on someone else. That's when numbers 1 and 2 above apply. Does that mean they never canswer an Ouija board? On the contrary, if they can screw your head up better than you can screw it up yourself, then they'll be happy to answer.

Do yourself a favor - stay away from the stupid thing. Either you won't get an answer, in which case your "conversations" with the dead will only be you fooling yourself, or you'll get an answer you really, really won't like.

Please never try an ouija board. The psychological consequences of this affected me for years.

Yes, its ok to use a Ouija Board.

..as firewood!!

HEHEHEHE I'm sorry I'm joking. See the serious answers above. :)

[/quote]

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DON'T DO IT!

The Holy Church Forbids these things!

It is grave matter.

Grave matter + Full Consent + Full Knowledge = *MORTAL SIN!*

*MORTAL SIN!* = Losing Heaven. AND! EVEN WORSE! Offending The Lord!

( All sin offends The Lord! but mortal sin is REALLY!!!! BAD!!!! )

So PLEASE!

DON'T DO IT!

"Let no one be found among you who sacrifices his son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead. Anyone who does these things is detestable to the LORD, and because of these detestable practices the LORD your God will drive out those nations before you. You must be blameless before the LORD your God." Deuteronomy 18:10-13

I agree with Garyjohn2: the only thing you should use an Ouija board for is for firewood!

[/quote]

Absolutely not! Under NO circumstances! (I'm trying to say this as friendly as I can.)

There was a young man, who is a priest now, who went to a party where they had one of these things. He saw it, and remembered he'd forgotten his scapula in the car, so he ran out, put it on, and went back in. As soon as he did, the ouija board stopped "talking." They asked it why. It spelled out, "I smell God" He left immediately!

True story.

[quote="justamoose89, post:12, topic:203263"]
"Let no one be found among you who sacrifices his son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead. Anyone who does these things is detestable to the LORD, and because of these detestable practices the LORD your God will drive out those nations before you. You must be blameless before the LORD your God." Deuteronomy 18:10-13

I agree with Garyjohn2: the only thing you should use an Ouija board for is for firewood!

[/quote]

but remember. We can be Forgiven! :)

It is important to drive the message home.
but
I hope I am not leading him to Scrupulousity.

Scrupulousity is a heavy thing to carry! :(

So the simple answer is an absolute NO.
I don't want you to go scrupulous however. If you don't know what Scrupulousity is, it is an OCD type of thing where you think almost everything is sinful.

Remember the 3 conditions for a mortal sin to be commited or ommited

[/quote]

Like others have said, the OB may simply reflect unconscious muscular movement (no useful info).

But even if some other being were operating it, how on earth would you know they were the deceased human beings you were seeking?

Human beings who have died are powerless in this world, where they no longer have a natural body. They cannot communicate with anyone, nor do anything to or for anyone. (And if they could, they would not need to wait for someone with an OB to make themselves known.)

It is FAR more likely, if you "raise" another being with this thing, that they are a deceptive spirit. Such spirits can influence physical nature. And having followed your deceased companions around while living, they can convince you of being them, while leading you to harm.

This is one fad that should be left in the 1980s. (And the same goes for the "Angel Board," which is just a prettied-up OB, allegedly for use in talking to guardian angels.)

God Bless and ICXC NIKA!

[quote="Scoobyshme, post:13, topic:203263"]
Absolutely not! Under NO circumstances! (I'm trying to say this as friendly as I can.)

There was a young man, who is a priest now, who went to a party where they had one of these things. He saw it, and remembered he'd forgotten his scapula in the car, so he ran out, put it on, and went back in. As soon as he did, the ouija board stopped "talking." They asked it why. It spelled out, "I smell God" He left immediately!

True story.

[/quote]

Wow, I didn't know those beings could smell:confused::)

ICXC NIKA

Capital letters here...NO!! NO! NO! NO! NO! I cannot stress it enough! Do not start messing with stuff you cannot control. You have no idea what you could potentially invite into your lives!!! It's a gateway to hell, and honestly I cannot see ANY Catholic being okay with using one.

[quote="Scoobyshme, post:13, topic:203263"]

True story.

[/quote]

I just peed my pants.

[quote="Angel7, post:14, topic:203263"]
but remember. We can be Forgiven! :)

It is important to drive the message home.
but
I hope I am not leading him to Scrupulousity.

Scrupulousity is a heavy thing to carry! :(

So the simple answer is an absolute NO.
I don't want you to go scrupulous however. If you don't know what Scrupulousity is, it is an OCD type of thing where you think almost everything is sinful.

Remember the 3 conditions for a mortal sin to be commited or ommited

[/quote]

For the OP:

These conditions are:

1. Grave matter.

2. Full knowledge.

3. Deliberate consent.

The Church defines using an Ouija board to try to channel spirits as grave matter. As far as deliberate consent and full knowledge...keep in mind that you had questions about this, and you came here to ask them. Once you've read this thread, then you **know **what the Church says about participating in occult practices and games, and you can't ever go back to *not *knowing. :(

[quote="ac_claire, post:19, topic:203263"]
For the OP:

These conditions are:

1. Grave matter.

2. Full knowledge.

3. Deliberate consent.

The Church defines using an Ouija board to try to channel spirits as grave matter. As far as deliberate consent and full knowledge...keep in mind that you had questions about this, and you came here to ask them. Once you've read this thread, then you **know **what the Church says about participating in occult practices and games, and you can't ever go back to *not *knowing. :(

[/quote]

I think even the fact that the OP knew to come here and ask the question, they knew in their gut that an Ouija board is something they shouldn't be engaging in.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.