Is it OK for Catholics to read books for help that are written by Protestant Authors?

I have alot of books by Joyce Meyer, one by Rick Warren, one by Joel Olsteen, and several other Protestant authors. Is this ok to read for help and to get closer to God by seeing him in a different light as not being one who is going to send you to hell for anything small that you do?

Meyer subscribes to the word of faith heresy.
I wouldn’t read a grocery list she made up. Olsteen and Warren I’ve never read and have no interest in watching them.
You are aware of course some of these televangelists have their books ‘ghost written’.

While I don’t believe this is a mortal sin, it could lead to mortal sin-- by leading you into error.

All three of these authors subscribe to various ideas and theology that are at odds with the Catholic faith.

I suggest instead you start getting books by Catholic authors on spirituality and help. There are many. No need to seek out these authors who have false ideas.

I still have books by some Protestant writers that I think are good and helpful. I wouldn’t consider the writers mentioned to be in that category. They are outside the mainstream of even Protestantism.
IMHO.

What is meant by faith heresy and “Ghost Written”? I dont understand.

In a nutshell, the ‘word of faith’ (or ‘prosperity’ gospel) movement teaches that ‘faith’ is a ‘force’ that even God must tap into. If you speak ‘words of faith’ you can be prosperous. Meyer teaches it bigtime and most televangelists do as well. It usually involves giving the tv preacher lots of money, so money will suddenly appear in your bank account. Not making this up.
As for ‘ghost written’, simply means they hire someone to do the writing for them.

I’m a protestant and I wouldn’t read those three authors! Joyce Meyer is interesting, but the “word faith” (Joyce Meyer and Joel Olsteen)… ick.

I’d be surprised if its a sin in the Catholic Church to read them, but do be cautious of what you believe from them.

I myself now stay away from protestant writers.
Haveing found out their are whole bunch of better books from Catholic writers.
would you rather dive into a puddel or an ocean?:thumbsup:

Before I knew better, I bought loads of books at the local “Christian Bookstore” (read Protestant bookstore). After all, the books were “Christian,” so they must have been okay! :doh2:

As time passed and I learned my Catholic faith better, I realized just how much of my home library contained heresy. Now that I know better, I’m in the process of throwing out many of them (mostly so that my children don’t ever read them), and for every one I chuck, I buy a Catholic book in its place. I’m slowly building a good Catholic book collection from used bookstores and eBay. Today, in fact, I received the final volume I needed to complete my set of the Navarre Bible commentary.

With the wealth of Catholic literature that has accumulated over 2,000 years, who has time to read other religious works? Why would I read Joyce Meyer when I still haven’t even read all of Fulton Sheen?

If a book by a Protestant author can help you grow in your own faith, then you should read it. Just because Protestants don’t have all of the same beliefs as Catholics, doesn’t mean that anything they say is inherently evil.

I think often, Catholics and Protestants could learn a lot from each other, if only we’d be more willing to listen before making judgments.

And if a book by a Protestant author will cause you to fall into error, you should avoid it. And the authors the OP specifically mentioned do just that.

Just because Protestants don’t have all of the same beliefs as Catholics, doesn’t mean that anything they say is inherently evil.

True. But then again, no one on this thread suggested any such thing.

I think often, Catholics and Protestants could learn a lot from each other, if only we’d be more willing to listen before making judgments.

I’m fairly sure at least some of the people who’ve responded HAVE listened to/read the authors mentioned. Then, they judged the orthodoxy of said authors in the light of Holy Mother Church’s teachings.
I’m not going to read junky, heretical pop-religious books written by Protestants for the sake of ecumenism.

I have read a book though by Cindi McMenamin called When God Pursues A Womans Heart and it has given me a new light to what kind of a God we have. The book shows God to be a mercyfull, loving, embracing, forgiving God who wants more than anything to be considered like your best friend, lover, and father. When I was growing up, I was almost drilled into believing that God was a barbarian who was going to damn a person to hell if they look crosseyed at someone. I am a Catholic from birth. I just want to find something that will help me through trying times and uplift me when I need it. I really dont see anything wrong in reading these books if they bring you closer to God. I wont ever leave my home, the Catholic Church, for another religion but sometimes you just have to read something that seems to help you out at the time. I was just wanting to get your opinion on this. I have asked a Nun at Mass about this and she said it was ok because alot of the books have scripture in them. I dont know. I am just tired of being confused when I only want to read something that is going to help me out in the long run. God Bless you all and Mary Keep you. Sincerely A Confused Gigglin4God Or Georgia.

At least one Catholic author thinks it’s OK. He coauthored a good book with an Evangelical!

:smiley:

amazon.com/Roman-Catholics-Evangelicals-Agreements-Differences/dp/0801038758

I wont ever leave my home, the Catholic Church, for another religion but sometimes you just have to read something that seems to help you out at the time. I was just wanting to get your opinion on this. ** I have asked a Nun at Mass about this and she said it was ok because alot of the books have scripture in them. I dont know. I am just tired of being confused when I only want to read something that is going to help me out in the long run.** God Bless you all and Mary Keep you. Sincerely A Confused Gigglin4God Or Georgia.Hi G4G,

Let me suggest some books that will be better for you than anything that comes out of any n-C authors. Bear in mind that the Catholic Church has over 2,000 years of great saints that have written a great deal of uplifting material.
[FONT=“Palatino Linotype”]
The Story of A Soul
Autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux

Padre Pio The Stigmatist

The Life of St. Francis of Assisi

By: St. Bonaventure

Surprised by Truth
Patrick Madrid

Catholic Home Study Service
Catholic Home Study Service (CHSS), sponsored by the Vincentian community and the Missouri Knights of Columbus, has been offering free courses on the Catholic Faith for more than seventy years.

These are just a few of the great options that I know of off the top of my head. The fact is that most n-C Christians can scarcely even come close.

I hope these help.:slight_smile: [/FONT]

Personally, “Giggler” I would say read EVERYTHING and anything you can get your hands on. Some books will appeal to you, others will not. There are things to be learnt about God in everything; religious books, science books, fictitious novels, nonfictions, medical journals, magazines, movies, etc.

Fear nothing and learn much. If questions arise about God and the Catholic Church and you’re not sure?,… well, you already know where Truth Subsits!

Our faith is not out of ignorance of what others say and believe, but in the understanding and knowledge of ours, compared with the knowledge and understanding of theirs, about WHO God is.

Happy Learning.

:cool:

While I totally agree that Catholicism is marked by an assumed use of our reason and intellect, I disagree that one should read anything one can get one’s hands on about God.

I am speaking from 13 years involved in New Age philosophy. I, too, thought that “God could be learnt about in everything”. I, too, like the OP, was having a spiritually trying time, and being in a weakened state by that difficulty, my powers of discernment were also weakened.

Just like you wouldn’t put everything into your mouth to see what nutrients you could get from it, why would you put everything into your brain and heart to see what fruit it bears?

Start with solid Catholic sources first. Then, when this time of desolation has passed, when you’re no longer going through “trying times” or needing to be uplifted, THEN see how God sprinkled bits of the Truth in all religions. When one is going through trials is the time we need Holy Mother Church and the writings of her saints the most.

C

The thing is, I have never seen any books on topics like ridding your life of strife and dealing with depression as well as anxiety from any Catholic authors. I have never found anything as well on what my purpose is here on earth as well. If you have any good suggestions on books by Catholic Authors on this topic. I am very open to them.

Serious Protestants do not ascribe to the teachings of these three new-agey types.

Now, Jim Dobson is another story. And the Evangelicals have put out some terrific stuff on marriage and money. Gary Smally has excellent materials on marriage. Tommy Nelson is also good (and funny).

the pope came out last week talking about what an intellectual giant martin luther was, the contributions he made to theology as being impressive.

I’d say let as many authors impress themselves on you. I really like CS Lewis and he wa CoE.

footnote: Luther never called for establishment of a new church, merely a reform of the existing one.

I have a small book by a Catholic author on how to deal with depression and anxiety. It is written with the Catholic viewpoint in mind, and follows the ways of the saints.

Go to a Catholic bookstore and you’ll find books that go deeper than some of the non-Catholic authors that seem to emphasize on the outer, material things.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.