Is it OK for me to receive the Eucharist?

OK, I probably know the RIGHT answer…I am Catholic and attend church regularly.I am married a second time, to a Methodist,by a Methodist minister. My first marriage of 13 yrs was only a civil ceremony. 2 children baptized, communion and confirmed. My current husband has been married before also in a Methodist Church (twice believe it or not)

I have recently become much more deeply involved in my Faith. Went to confession last Easter,teach 3rd grade catechism, now attend daily mass and find great comfort in receiving the Eucharist. Is that OK?

Can’t bear to think about giving it up but can’t imagine receiving all the cooperation required for annulments.

Pleaser help.

It is generally okay for a Catholic to receive the Eucharist unless he/she is conscious of grave sin. So the question you really should be asking yourself is: “Is it a grave sin to live as though I’m married to someone who is not truly my spouse?” And I suspect that you already know the answer to that question.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church (1650) spells it out quite plainly:

Today there are numerous Catholics in many countries who have recourse to civil divorce and contract new civil unions. In fidelity to the words of Jesus Christ - “Whoever divorces his wife and marries another, commits adultery against her; and if she divorces her husband and marries another, she commits adultery” the Church maintains that a new union cannot be recognized as valid, if the first marriage was. If the divorced are remarried civilly, they find themselves in a situation that objectively contravenes God’s law. Consequently, they cannot receive Eucharistic communion as long as this situation persists. For the same reason, they cannot exercise certain ecclesial responsibilities. Reconciliation through the sacrament of Penance can be granted only to those who have repented for having violated the sign of the covenant and of fidelity to Christ, and who are committed to living in complete continence.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.