Is it ok for me to see a play on good friday?

is it ok for me to go see a play on good friday? i am going to see godspell with my dad tonight?

If you can't go to see a musical about Jesus on Good Friday, I'm not sure when you could go see it. :)

[quote="princess1992, post:1, topic:237156"]
is it ok for me to go see a play on good friday? i am going to see godspell with my dad tonight?

[/quote]

it is not forbidden by any church law if that is your question, these things are matters of prudential judgement and you can follow your father's plans for you.

You certainly can. I saw that play a long time ago, and I found it kind of playful and funny but not very reverent. Not that I thought it was sacrilegious, it just didn’t bring me closer to God.

However, there is nothing wrong with going to a play on Good Friday if it brings you closer to God. Just keep in mind that today you should be focused on Christ on the cross, and you shouldn’t do anything that is going to pull you away from that.

As an example, I’m going to watch the Passion of the Christ later today. But you won’t catch me watching TV, or some mindless movie that will distract me from focusing on what is going on today.

Abraham Lincoln went to a play on Good Friday, and look what happened.

Just ask yourself one question. If you were with Mary Mother of God when Jesus was dying, would she want to see a play or stay with her son and mourn. and if it was your son and instead of your best friend being there he was out having fun. Just think about that and you'll have your answer.
God Bless you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.