Is it ok to attend a mormon baptism?

We have been invited to our neighbor’s son’s baptism. They have told my daughter, who is six, that there is no difference between Catholicism and Mormonism (she told them that that was **not **true) .I think I would be giving the wrong impression, both to my daughter and to the family, if I attended baptism. What does the Church say about attending baptisms that don’t include the Trinity?

I don’t think there is any prohibition in attending. But, you have it right that it’s a bad idea in that it gives tacit approval to the baptism and some sort of legitimacy to it. Your six year old is smarter than most adults! And, you don’t want to send any confusing signals.

But, I’m confused, because non-Mormons are not allowed in the Mormon Temple to witness ordinances. So, I don’t understand how you could be invited to the baptism to start with.

But, you have it right that it’s a bad idea in that it gives tacit approval to the baptism and some sort of legitimacy to it. Your six year old is smarter than most adults! And, you don’t want to send any confusing signals.

So this is the Church’s version of “family values”?

If they asked that you attend something that is considered by the parents to be a significant landmark in their childs life, I think it is important that you attend and be a part of it. Don’t let theology and religious differences get in the way of that. Does God care more about being theologically correct? Or showing your loved ones that you do indeed love them and that you are part of their life?

[quote=Gnosis]But, you have it right that it’s a bad idea in that it gives tacit approval to the baptism and some sort of legitimacy to it. Your six year old is smarter than most adults! And, you don’t want to send any confusing signals.

So this is the Church’s version of “family values”?

If they asked that you attend something that is considered by the parents to be a significant landmark in their childs life, I think it is important that you attend and be a part of it. Don’t let theology and religious differences get in the way of that. Does God care more about being theologically correct? Or showing your loved ones that you do indeed love them and that you are part of their life?
[/quote]

1. It’s a neighbor, not a family member. And, she can continue to be neighborly without attending the Mormon baptism.

2. Jesus himself said he would divide houses. So, I believe God cares more about serving Him 100% and less about keeping the peace with everyone else.

[quote=wisdom 3:5]We have been invited to our neighbor’s son’s baptism. They have told my daughter, who is six, that there is no difference between Catholicism and Mormonism (she told them that that was **not **true) .I think I would be giving the wrong impression, both to my daughter and to the family, if I attended baptism. What does the Church say about attending baptisms that don’t include the Trinity?
[/quote]

In an identical situation, I and my family would not attend. The fact that the LDS family, who surely knew better, told your daughter that there was no difference between Catholicism and Mormonism, makes their motivation suspect in my mind. That may sound like it lacks “family values” but it is my family for whom I am responsible. My Catholic faith is the one true religion, instituted by Christ over 2000 years ago. The last thing that I want to do is confuse impressionable children with new religions and new beliefs. I could anticipate that the next thing that will be asked is if they could take my daughter to church with them–after all, Catholicism and Mormonism are the same.

This may sound un-christian to some but these days with the Church under so much attack, I feel that I must be more vigilant to defend our faith.

I personally would not attend but there are reasons for that as I am not a private person and I feel that it would bring scandel to the faithful if I were at non-Catholic ceremonies (for this reason I did not attend my fathers wedding outside the Church). Under the old canon law there was a proscription against what was called “communio in sacris” that is communion in the sacred. I was interpreted that no catholic should attend non catholic services. However, today, the Church leaves it up to your personal conscious execpt that we are still forbidden to take active participation in rites of another religions.

In the particular instance of going to an LDS “baptism” I would definatelly not attend because it is not a valid baptism. All emotionalism aside it has no effect and would but no different than going to watch someone at the kiddie pool. This may sound contentious however I think that it is warented when it comes to profanation of a sacrament.

[quote=1ke]But, I’m confused, because non-Mormons are not allowed in the Mormon Temple to witness ordinances. So, I don’t understand how you could be invited to the baptism to start with.
[/quote]

Bump for an answer.

[quote=1ke]But, I’m confused, because non-Mormons are not allowed in the Mormon Temple to witness ordinances. So, I don’t understand how you could be invited to the baptism to start with.
[/quote]

I know very little about the LDS religion. Maybe they are not orthodox mormons and its more about the culture for them. But we do have an invitation that gives the address of the temple.

I’m pretty sure normal baptisms are not done at a temple so it may be possible that non-Mormons would be able to attend/witness.

Baptisms for the dead are done at the temple and non-Mormons of course would be (at least from my understanding) unable to attend.

[quote=bigdawg]I’m pretty sure normal baptisms are not done at a temple so it may be possible that non-Mormons would be able to attend/witness.

Baptisms for the dead are done at the temple and non-Mormons of course would be (at least from my understanding) unable to attend.
[/quote]

Ah, perhaps that is it. I do know that only Mormons are allowed inside the Temple to witness ordinances. I thought all baptisms were in the temple. I guess not. They must have the baptism in their ward or stake building.

So this thread is seven years old, but I came across it googling info. for a student's baptism. First of all, I am a Mormon and was thrilled that I was allowed to create an account. Secondly, I just wanted to clear up a few misconceptions from this thread. Regular baptisms for members of the church are done at their meeting house. Baptisms are done for children at the age of eight years old (known as the age of accountability). Also, when people convert to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, they will get baptized at the meetinghouse as well. This building is the same place that Sunday worship takes place. Entering the Temple is reserved for worthy members (which is basically living your life at a higher standard: never drinking alcohol, tobacco, coffee, tea. Being good to all around you, trying to serve others, etc.) Baptisms in the temple are for the dead. Those people that did not learn of Christ's gospel or have an opportunity while living on this earth to be baptized. I don't expect you to understand our practices right now.. just giving you the facts about our church! Lastly, PLEASE don't listen to the words of a 6-year old as being the true beliefs of the LDS church! Seriously, you have to understand children (especially ages 3-7) to know that kids make things up and/or confuse things all the time. Trust me, nobody in the Mormon (LDS) church believes that a Catholic baptism is the same as our baptism. We believe they are very different. I think anybody that has kids will agree with me on that one :) If you have ANY other questions about the Mormon church or our beliefs I'm happy to answer them. Lastly, I completely agree with Gnosis. I think supporting and loving one another is Christ's gospel. I have attended First Communions, weddings, etc. of my beloved friends and they have attended my children's baby blessings, church activities, etc. Heavenly Father knows our hearts and our intentions and as long as you are attending a life event out of love for another, it is not wrong. And I believe that Christ would rank that higher than worshipping him.

One more thing... this website was created amidst the confusion of Prop 8 in California (a proposition Catholics and Mormons were steadfastly united on). It has a short little video debunking a lot of the myths about the Mormon church. Please check out "Mormon Myths" at www.mormonsmadesimple.com so you can understand a little better. And for the record, I haven't met a Catholic that I didn't like! :)

I would definitely not attend a Mormon baptism for fear that it would give the appearance of my approval of it or something.

A Mormon baptism is not a valid baptism so attending would be seen to be affirming their beliefs as true when in fact they are false. Mormons do not believe Jesus is God.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.