Is it ok to cancel mass because of the Superbowl?

There was an announcement at my parish at the end of mass that Sunday evening mass is being canceled because of the Superbowl and this has been down the previous two years before. I’m guessing because of the lack of attendance. But doesn’t this seem to throw the wrong message off to the people in pews? It’s as if somehow the Superbowl is more important then Mass. Any opinions on this?

In one way you are correct, this is sending the wrong message. On the other hand, the priest may be just is being realistic. If no one is going to show up for Mass, then save the parish some money and keep the lights off.

Although, during the Winter Olympics during the gold medal hockey game between the US and Canada, I do not recall any parishes that cancelled Mass on the account of that game. A gold medal hockey game between the US and Canada is bigger than the Superbowl for Canadians. But realistically I wasn’t keeping tabs on the parishes anyway, but at least our parish didn’t do something like that.

Sunday evening? is it a Mass for Sunday, if not it doesn’t fulfil the Sunday Obligation anyway, so Mass attendance would be low, with the Superbowl, Mass attendance would be especially low, so I am guessing that is why it is cancelled.

However, if the Mass is a Mass for Sunday (like the Saturday Vigil Mass) it shouldn’t be cancelled for any reason, as it is an obligatory Mass, and a Mass that some people may use to fulfil there obligation.

It’s a Sunday Mass that our parish offers regularly at 7pm. Which is a blessing in itself because it’s hard to find anywhere else that does that. There are people who go to the 7pm say maybe not as many as the noon mass but I would say at least 70 ppl on a regular basis. I understand everyone wants to be drinking a beer and watching the Steelers but doesn’t the Lord technically come first even if there’s only 3 old ladies who want to come to mass but can’t?

Sunday evening Mass is a Mass for Sunday, always. Except if Monday is a feast. The rule for “anticipated” Mass is that it only works if the next day is a Feast Day and Day of Obligation. And in the US I think the general rule by the Episcopal Conference is that if Monday is a day of Obligation, the Obligation is lifted for that year (not even transfered to the Sunday preceeding or after) with the exception of Christmas.

I agree though after some thought on it. I remember the previous parish I was in with a 7pm Mass, most of those who come to that Mass are hospital workers, some still wearing scrubs. Its not like those who come to Mass at 7pm are those who just like to sleep in on Sunday. Definitely those people can just make the effort to wake up earlier for one Sunday. But what of those who really have no choice? Those who have jobs on a Sunday and can’t make it to any Mass besides the 7pm one?

Did they cancel EVERY Mass on Sunday or just one in the evening?

My opinion - it’s completely unacceptable. It’s Sunday, and Mass must be made available. The priest is required to say Mass every day anyway, so what difference does it make if he says it alone, or with 10 or 300 people there? I think it is a case of shockingly misplaced priorities. We have plans for Super Bowl too this weekend, but we will go to Mass, and everything else will wait.

I am hearing of this happening more and more lately, and I think it’s really sad that a priest would send the message to his parish that a football game is more important than Mass.

Well - I just hope he has a big chunk of time set aside for hearing allllllllll those confessions for those who didn’t go to Mass at all this weekend. And there is no blaming it on the priest - if this parish is closed, find another one.

Horrible. :mad:

~Liza

Just the evening mass for this day was canceled. Next Sunday and following it goes back to normal. yeah.

Well, as long as there is still Mass on Sunday I guess it’s not SO bad. But I still don’t like it. Surely there are people in the parish who can ONLY attend the evening Mass, and so what happens to them? They miss out.

Still pretty crummy if you ask me. Sounds like Father has a party to go to, and the implication of that is just not nice.

~Liza

A parish may periodically cancel a regularly-scheduled Mass if exceptionally low turn-out is anticipated, provided that there are enough Masses being offered to give the faithful an opportunity to meet their obligation. The faithful do not have the right to insist that Mass will always be offered at some particular time that they have grown accustomed to. As always, if they truly can’t go to any available Mass, then they are excused from the obligation to attend for that Sunday.

Only if the next day is Christmas or the Feast of the Immaculate Conception. Only All Saints, Mary, Mother of God, and the Assumption have the obligation to attend Mass abrogated in the US when they fall on Monday (or Saturday).

This is all true - but it is despicable to put someone in this position for a FOOTBALL GAME! :rolleyes: Yes - even if only five people show up, it’s still worth it.

~Liza

You have a Sunday evening Mass?

I remember too at this parish during the music when everyone was leaving the last time the Superbowl was being played by Pittsburgh, they played the “here we go Steelers, here we go” song during the exit song. I’m surprised that people that people didn’t bring the terrible towels into mass waving them around. People in Pittsburgh really love the Steelers…

And the Lord said “Give thanks, except during the Superbowl.” Hmm, I don’t remember that in there.

It is what it is.

The priest has every right to schedule or cancel masses at whatever time he chooses, whenever he chooses.

Sunday evening masses are a convenience, they are not required if there has been another Sunday mass, and if your priest wants to cancel it and watch the superbowl he can do so.

:eek: You ARE kidding aren’t you?

Do you really want him to answer that ?

Lol nope not kidding…Well I guess like 1ke it is what it is I just thought personally that it sends off the wrong message and to why the mass is being canceled. What I wonder though is if a priest is allowed to cancel mass anytime he wants whats to stop him from just making up his own schedule? Do times have to be approved by the bishop or whatnot?

No, a priest is not required to say Mass every day. He’s not even required to attend Mass every day.

Oh my goodness, people, have you ever thought that just like a mother who constatntly tends her young need a break that a priest may want an afternoon off?

This is ONE Sunday mass among many others. Get a grip. The superbowl is a big American event and the Priests are people, too.

Priests go above and beyond every day of the week, every moment often on call.

What kind of message does this send? How about the fact the priest is human and wants one weekend to not do one Mass for one weekend in order to join into a social event is not the end of the world.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.