Is it OK to NOT discern a vocation?

I struggle with knowing what path God wants me to take, and have considered both religious life and marriage but I feel no strong attraction to either.
Maybe it’s so that for now I just need to focus on my life as a single person - such as figuring out if I should get a new job or study more.
So, is it ok to live just as a single person and not put too much thought into a vocation? At least for now?

Yes it is okay. I know a 90+ woman and the best advice she ever gave me was to take one day at a time and put your trust in a God first.

If you can, you might want to look for a spiritual adviser or ask God to direct you to one.

Interior silence.

Sacraments

Sacramentals

And God may start leading you when you’re in the middle of the dishes. He called the prophets when they were in the middle of their jobs.

Start yourself on the Spiritual Directory of St. Francis de Sales. If you’ve felt the attraction to religious life, take it one spirituality at a time.

Spiritually, you may feel like you’re in a freefall. He permits this so that you will go running to him.

Blessings,
Cloisters

Hi Blue_Rose,

Don’t see it as “not discerning”. You’re exploring your more immediate vocation. Nothing wrong with it! :thumbsup:

However - don’t get complacent. You should still continue to pray for what your vocation is and ask God to reveal it to you in His time. He may show you tomorrow, He may show you in a long time. He knows when best to reveal it, but you must continue to pray for it!

God Bless!

Yes, of course.

Blue Rose, God leads us on His time, and not ours. I know that one of the best things I ever did was letting the feeling that I need to be somewhere next year go, and focusing on what was right in front of my face. The Wisdom from on high always returns at the most opportune of moments to interject Himself and lead us along the path we should follow, often in surprising and unforeseen ways.

God bless.

Blue Rose, do know that you’re not alone in this. I’ve felt strong pulls to both religious life and marriage, but my mental health makes religious life a difficult option, and I have nobody in my life for marriage.

I’ve tried to continue praying and asking the Father to lead me to the right decision. In the meantime, I try to live my life as a good Catholic and keep my mind and heart open. Perhaps not active discernment, but I don’t want to become complacent by closing off that vocation in my mind.

We all have time though. Whatever we might plan for ourselves is nothing compared to the lives that God has planned for us! :smiley:

I saw your post on another forum, and wanted to leave this link with you:

cloisters.tripod.com/vocations_uk/

Blessings,
Cloisters

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.