Is it ok to promote non-Catholic worship?

I am very supportive of non-Catholics worshipping according to their traditions. It would be better they joined us, but better to worship Christ than not to worship Him.

But in our parish there is a group of Carasmatic women [no disrespects, I am not being sexist or critical of women] who go to extraordinary lengths to promote non-Catholic worship. They post fliers and give hand outs to encourage Catholics to attend non-Catholic Charasmatic events.

Two years ago, they were very active in promoting a Benny Hinn performance. I took great pride in removing their posters as fast at they put them up. I wa shocked to be caught in the act and told ‘if I am not with Benny Hinn I am not with Christ’! I was speechless :frowning:

Now I see no harm in promoting Catholic worship. But I do not think it appropriate to keep trying to cajole and pressure Catholics to go to non-Catholic worship just because it is of the Carasmatic pursuasion. Surely far better to encourage Catholics to go to Benediction or other form of Catholic worship.

If folk want to do Catholic Carasmatic worship so be it, I do not agree personally but to encourage Catholics to follow Protestant Worship particularly by groups who are hostile to Catholicism is to me, tantamount to apostacy. But these are people who are extraordinary ministers of the Eucharist, Readers, and pseudo- self appointed lay pastors. This is all a bit scary. Traditionalists are not sure how to deal with it. If they are challenged, they are very scathing. They gang up on lone traditionalists and bully them into submission. To date I have kept quiet but we are losing traditionalists so something has to give. Our Priest is not happy with the situation but he is not well and over 70-years of age so is unfair to expect him to stand up to what has become a very strong feminist movement.

I am not sexist. This is not an attack on women. There are numerous examples of very pious women in our parish but not all. Some have asumed the role of ‘preachers’ in their carasmatic meetings. Some women preach and give homilies in Eucharistic Services, I went to hear a spectacle for myself as I could not believe it. I left in disgust. In one such homily I heard the female minister say she receives communion in non-Catholic Churches. She said ‘this was a matter for the individual conscience which is answerable to God alone’! This is without permission from the priest. This i I am sure no one is allowed to preach without express permission from a Priest. But they tell me I am just old fashioned and need to get real.

My daughter used to go to mass daily but stopped going as she was fed up with being constantly pressured to join the carasmatic movement. She kept telling them she was not interested but they kept on and on at her until she stopped going to daily mass.

This has to be arrested. I am not sure how one goes about challenging it. This cannot be a unique phenomena. What have other trads [or even non-trads] done?

What is your view

What is your view

I don’t support anything non-Catholic, even if it’s reverent. If it’s Catholic then I’ll question whether it is worship to God or just going out to meet your neighbors, before I’ll promote it.

On the way to a TLM, I drive by a lot of Sunday worshippers. Some of them are genuine and sincere worshippers, even if they do probably disturb the peace. I’ll admire them for their efforts but I’ll never support them. But if I can’t convert them, I’ll just leave them alone. I figure it’s their business.

Some of the women in my bible study at our Catholic Church attend bible studies at protestant churches as well as at the our church. They see nothing wrong with it. They also talk about their children who attend protestant churches and think it is OK.:shrug: I am very orthodox and do not agree with them, but have learned to keep my views to myself. I think the only way I would be able to reach them is by example. I wish the priests would speak up on these issues but they are silent. I guess all we can do is pray for a return to orthodox Catholicism.
And that’s my :twocents:
:blessyou:

i dont try to convert others as long as they dont try to convert me.

but if they try, then its on! let the battle begin. :knight2:

she had not the right to compare benny hinn to christ. that was out of left feild and totaly off base. you have my permission to counteract as catholic as possible for that blastphemy.become gods warrior and go st. micheal on them and banish them. be the holy knight!:knight1:

I would stay on the safe side, and not promote anything that is non-catholic.

You can think to yourself, “Is this something that Our Lord would approve of?” If the answer is no, then stay clear.

God bless,
Melanie

Wow. Quite the situation. Those women are obviously wrong. I, being gruff, would tell them straight up that if the non-catholic charasmatic services are so great then they should just stay over there, and that they are not welcome since they have made it clear through their beliefs that they are no longer Catholic and just come to try to promote their own false ideals. Also, if you can, somehow make the bishop or someone higher aware of the situation. Or start your own little gang whos’ sole purpose is to hamper these peoples’ motives. Be careful though for they might play the victim card and gain a lot more support.

God speed.

Vigis

No, you should not support non-Catholic forms of worship. The charismatic gifts themselves are legitimate (the Church has never condemned speaking in tongues) but from my experience within the movement there is not enough discernment of charisms nor a solid foundation in traditional Catholic theology. The central emphasis of the charismatic movement–receiving and growing in the gifts of the Holy Spirit–is a very noble goal, and most Christian, but the movement suffers in many regards and overall, in my opinion, is detrimental to the life of the Church.

The Catholic Church has long maintained that the Protestant churches are in a state of heresy and need to come back to the Church. The charismatic group I was involved with emphasized the authority of the bishops and the Pope, had a strong devotion to Mary, the saints, and were involved in Eucharistic Adoration and Liturgy of the Hours–in these regards they were very Catholic.

But the difference between Catholics and Protestants seemed to not be so important. The difference between Protestantism and Catholicism seemed only to be different insofar as which one had the greater “fullness of truth.” Supposedly Catholicism did, but this did not stop one woman from boldly asserting, “We have a lot to learn from the Protestants!” In retrospect, the charismatics were attempting to infuse the “enthusiasm” of certain Protestant trends into the more solemn Catholic tradition of worship, and the two didn’t mix very well, quite poorly in fact. Good people with overall good intentions, but not realizing the dangers of their spirituality or the effects on the Latin traditions of worship.

…[sigh]…Sometimes I wonder what has happened to the Roman Catholic Church. I’ve come to the conclusion that to be Roman Catholic one must accept Vatican II. Although, I have a very difficult time understanding certain verses in a way compatible with previous positions of the Church? How can I reconcile what is said in my 1956 missal–that St. Ignatius of Loyola combatted the forces of evil as represented by Protestantism and Mohammedism–with the “separated brethren”/hug-a-bunch, adore-the-same-God language of VII? I don’t have really close access to a TLM, and I’ve attended an Eastern Catholic church the past two years. As much as I love the TLM, the Latin tradition and wish the Catholic Church were the true Church, the more I wonder the horrible possibility that perhaps the Roman Catholic Church has long been separated from the real Catholic Church. Well, I’ll give it a few more weeks. :frowning:

I contend that most of what passes for worship in non-Catholic/non-Orthodox settings is not worship at all. At the heart of worship is “sacrifice”. I.e., if there is no real sacrifice of Christ on the altar there is no worship. Hence this disqualifies what non-Catholic/non-Orthodox groups do from being properly called worship.

CDL

Originally Posted by GregoryPalamas:

I contend that most of what passes for worship in non-Catholic/non-Orthodox settings is not worship at all. At the heart of worship is “sacrifice”. I.e., if there is no real sacrifice of Christ on the altar there is no worship. Hence this disqualifies what non-Catholic/non-Orthodox groups do from being properly called worship.

Ah, but where in the Bible does it say that on Christian altars is re-represented in a real way the Sacrafice of Christ? :smiley:
I’ve talked with a few Lutherans, and they argue that at the Mass there indeed is a sacrafice, a Sacrafice of Praise, the Sacrafice of Praise as is found in the Epistle to the Hebrews.

One thing I’ve noticed is that the Orthodox Divine Liturgy does not place as much exclusive emphasis on the re-presentation of the one-time Sacrafice of Christ as does the Tridentine Latin Mass, or even the Novus Ordo Mass. I can’t think of any lines off-hand which make it clear that it is Christ on the Cross being offered in the Divine Liturgy. Maybe it’s just my experience, but the Divine Liturgy in its understanding amamnesis takes the whole of Christ’s life and ressurrection and not simply a specific moment of sacraficial death and atonement.

I do not support, defend or promote non Catholic worship. I see them as being deficient and lacking in truth. Why support or promote something lesser when you have the real thing readily available?

Priest(s): “We offer to you yours of your own, on behalf of all, and for all.”

later:
All: “Oh, Lord, I believe and profess that this is truly your most precious body, and life-giving blood, which I pray, make me worth to receive for the remission of sins and the healing of soul and body.”

Divine Liturgy of St. John Chryssosstum, as used in the Ruthenian Catholic Church in America.

So it’s there, the statements of the joining in the living sacrifice.

As for non-catholic/non-orthodox “christian” worship… promote it, no, never. Attend it? As an anthropological, sociological, or theological excercise in comparison, Yes; as a support of a good marriage or for a memorial of a good life, yes.

Holy St. Herman, pray for us!, from an Alaskan born. (Kodiak)

I believe Aramis has answered your question. But I shall add. We do bring “the sacrifice of praise” as the Psalmist writes. But that is not what makes worship possible. True worship is begins with the sacrifice of Christ in our place. It is the continuation and fulfillment of the OT covenant worship. The service of the Word is simply Synagogue celebration ('worship" loosest sense of the word) carried forward. The Eucharist is true worship. If all that is required for worship is that we bring a sacrifice of praise why did the Gallilean bother to come?

CDL

Goblin,

I would add one more observation. The American experience has tended to homogenize many things into a secular soup. Baptists sometimes tend look more and more like used car salesmen. Lutheran’s and other mainline Protestants tend to look more and more like Baptists and Novus Ordo Catholics tend to look more and more like mainline and even evangelical protestants. To resist the trend is a strenuous counter cultural activity but well worth it.

The trend in brief is to become completely a historical giving up ones patrimony for the latest fad. But we aren’t to be swept away by every wind of doctrine.

CDL

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.