Is it ok to read a horoscope if you don't take it seriously?

I know occult practices are forbidden by The Catholic Church. One of the newspapers I like to read has an astrology column. Would it be okay for me to read it if I don’t actually believe what it says and realize that it’s not true? Any thoughts on this? Thank You!!! :slight_smile:

So, to be clear, you are reading it for entertainment purposes only?

I haven’t read it yet. I’m asking for future reference, and yes, entertainment purposes only. :slight_smile:

If you’re not sure, it’s always worth asking your Priest.

5 Likes

Good idea!!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I dont think we should engage in any activity God has specifically told us not to. Rejecting astrology is specifically written in the Bible.

8 Likes

Newspaper horoscopes are typically written in such innocuous language that I don’t think there can be any harm in reading them. On the other hand, why would you want to read them if you don’t believe in them?

4 Likes

Just for fun. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have my suspicions that newspaper astrology is more a con game that everyone is in on than any kind of “real” astrology. I personally don’t think it is any more dangerous than reading a fantasy book about witches. Doubly so if the horoscope actually says ‘for entertainment purposes only’ as some of them do.

That said, I’ve seen a few people actually fall for them, so it’s not like there is no danger at all.

1 Like

I don’t believe any of it. I was just wondering if it would be ok to read it. :slight_smile:

We should not do what God tells us not to do ‘just for fun’

6 Likes

Oh my goodness, that makes so much sense!!! You phrased that up really well. Thank you!!! :slight_smile:

Don’t fall for the horoscope trap! It may seem harmless, but this is the way that the devil works. A little “harmless” fun in reading horoscopes will progress into bigger things. As the exorcists say, "Don’t open that portal."
I read the horoscopes “harmlessly” until a major issue came up many years ago. I was so worried about the issue that I started consulting several online horoscopes per day until I realized that the whole horoscope business is NOT “harmless”.

5 Likes

It’s more than likely a non-issue if you don’t believe in any of it and you’re just casually flipping through a newspaper.

But, it can also be sinful if we have haughty thoughts about it, as in “Ha, these people are so stupid for following this kind of stuff” or if we look down on them. That would not be an appropriate or Christian attitude to have. Real life human beings are harmed because of being misguided in various ways and it isn’t funny or amusing for people to be hurt.

1 Like

I guess it’s probably better to avoid horoscopes. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I used to read them but stopped. They’re silly and really not appropriate for a Catholic. Just my .02.

1 Like

This is what I meant about seeing people fall for them. It’s also one of the reasons I think it is important to think of them as cons. The danger to the soul doesn’t necessarily come from the con side, but the con side is how people get hooked.

I do think some people can maintain a healthy distance, just as many people can responsibly handle gambling or drinking. There’s no way I could tell from an online dialogue if someone is at risk or not, though.

2 Likes

No because that is how it begins.

4 Likes

Those newspaper horoscopes are expressed in such vague and generalized language, one really has no idea what they’re talking about. They’re open to all kinds of interpretation, and even if one was going to try to use them as a guide, they’re really kind of useless for that. There’s nothing specific or precise about them.

On the other hand, when we pray, we can be specific and precise, and we can ask for specific and precise answers that we can understand and benefit from. And, we’re much more likely to get them.

I often check mine, just to marvel at how incorrect is always is. lol

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.