Is it ok to stand up at mass just before the great Amen?

At my parish we kneel during the consecration but just as the music starts for the great Amen we raise and stand. We sit when the Eucharist is in the Tabernacle. Is this fine?

In the dioceses of the United States of America, [the faithful] should kneel beginning after the singing or recitation of the Sanctus until after the Amen of the Eucharistic Prayer. (GIRM 43)

You stand after the Amen, not before or during it.

Are these customs of the Mass mandatory. In other words is it sinful to stand early when you know you shouldn’t?

At my parish when I try to stay kneeling until after the Amen people are trying get the kneeler up and everyone else is already standing.

At my parish we used to do the same thing and I found it quite annoying. I tried to polite ask why we did this to several "connected people in the parish and everyone agreed that it was wrong but didn’t know why we hadn’t changed it yet. Shortly thereafter we got a new pastor who within a few months changed all the details of the Mass that were incorrect.

As far as I understood it back then, it was not a sin to stand when you were supposed to be kneeling, so you need not be concerned in that regard.

Pray that things will change for your church as well. You never know!

I don’t know if I’d consider it a sin, but if you know you’re supposed to kneel until after the Amen, and you choose not to anyway, it seems you’re disregarding one of the Church’s liturgical prescriptions knowingly.

Perhaps you could ask your pastor about it. This is nothing to start a fight over, but I’d rather not see laxness in one liturgical matter lead to greater laxness (laxity?) in greater liturgical matters.

In my parish the “music group” often sings a lot of other stuff along with the “Amen” including a few hootnannyish “forever and evers” as well as a few “allelulias”.
Should one stand after the “Amen” or remain kneeling for the rest of the hootnanny stuff?

I would say that, regardless of what they add to it, it is all one liturgical act, the Amen, so wait to stand until after the singing (and hooting and hollering) is done. (Of course, those additions are illicit, but that doesn’t stop most people…)

It’s not the same in every country. In French Canada it is customary to kneel at the consecration, rising again at the Anamnesis.

Right – in Rome, it’s the same. In the US, though, kneeling is done for the whole Eucharistic Prayer.

Oh yeah, I’m pretty sure I know that one – the Amen from the stupid St. Louis Jesuits Mass (this one). Ugh, and such a slow tempo marking too.

Note that standing is usually a bit noisy. It is probably best if that interruption comes after the Amen, a natural break, rather than separating the Amen from the Prayer it is the conclusion of.

When I first became a Catholic 30 years ago we always stood up for the Amen - although it was not a single movement of the congregation in advance, but a rather ragged movement during it, so that everyone was up by the time we were finished. I always thought that standing up was meant to be a way of adding force to our affirmation. However, some years later the Bishop sent out a letter telling everyone not to stand up until after the Amen, and this is what we do now. I never heard anyone complain about it.

As pointed out previously in this thread, standing is to be done after the Amen not before or during. However, its not the end of the world that it happens. While incorrect it doesn’t make any statement against any matter of faith. Its a liturgical quirk that more than a few parishes have developed. “Making a stand” by not standing isn’t going to be productive. As they say, when in Rome…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.