Is it OK to take birth control pills for medical reasons?

I was discussing Catholic teaching on birth control and was asked what a catholic married woman with PCOS should use for treatment as the birth control pill is the most common treatment for the disease (at least according to this person).

I have already explained the Church’s teaching against artificial birth control methods and it is my understanding that a person needs to abstain if on the pill due to the abortifacient nature of the pill.

When taken as necessary for therapeutic reasons, use of “the pill” is not immoral. Humanae Vitae states, “the Church does not consider at all illicit the use of those therapeutic means necessary to cure bodily diseases, even if a foreseeable impediment to procreation should result there from—provided such impediment is not directly intended for any motive whatsoever” (HV 15).

Also, in such circumstances, abstinence is not required. For more on this see the post Pill allowed as an abortifacient?

For alternatives to the pill check out Pope Paul VI Institute.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.