Is it okay, as a Catholic, to use holy oil that has been blessed by a Pentecostal?

I have used it before, and the bottle is shaped in the form of Jesus’ cross. The bottle is still almost full. Is it a sin to continue using it?

Thank you,
Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk

Hi Eugen,

I think the right question is, “Is Oil Holy blessed by a non-catholic a Sacramental?”, and the answer to that question is no. Holy Water blessed by a Catholic Priest is not equal to holy oil blessed by a non-catholic. A sacramental is anything set apart or blessed by the Church to excite good thoughts and to increase devotion, and through these movements of the heart to remit venial sin. (Baltimore Cat.)

But for it to be a sin to use it I suppose goes back to what you are using it for and what you believe it is. I suppose you could be offending God and causing damage to your relationship with Him and the community, but you know the answer to that question better than anyone else would.

Merry Christ Mass

It’s probably not a sin to use it but you’re really just rubbing olive oil on your head.

ChadS

Oh, I see. That clears everything up. Thank you very much, and Merry Christmas to you as well :slight_smile:

Thank you,
Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk

Merry Christmas :slight_smile:

Thank you,
Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk

I would dispose of it, or have a good priest bless it, after a minor exorcism (in the “old” 1962 books).

:slight_smile:

nothing wrong with using oil that has been prayed over in faith-in Jesus’ name. God honors that, but as bayernfan suggested have it blessed as a priest preferably exorcised so you can have exorcised oil and the 1962 prayer for exorcised oil is much better than the new prayer.

If you are a Bayern Munich fan you’ll need a lot more than the Holy Oil to help your team this season!! :smiley:

I’m a Man Utd fan! :thumbsup:

I just had a house built, and the contractor, who is a Protestant, asked if I would like him to bless my house. I said no and had a priest come instead and bless my house. I don’t think it would have been a sin to have a Protestant bless my house. And in fact, a Protestant’s prayers can be as good as a Catholic’s prayers, of course. But a priest has special God-given powers to bless. There would be nothing wrong with using the oil, but to me, frankly, it would have been a joke, since if a priest had blessed it, it would have been something special under God.

Ouch. :’(

:slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.