Is it okay for a Catholic to listen to Hardcore music?

Hi, I'm a 19 year old Roman Catholic who wishes to get closer to Christ, and I listen to hardcore music and some of it has profanity and what not. I was just wondering is it okay to listen to this music? Some of the hardcore bands are actually Christian. Some input please. And also, at shows, when these bands perform, there's this thing we do, its called mawshing or dancing or whatever, and people tend to hit others and what not. It feels good, though I really don't try to hurt anyone, just feels nice to move to the music. Help please, its really hard to explain and it bothers me because I enjoy these things.

i believe its up to you honestly personally whenever i became more religious i felt to turn away from music such as godsmack which i was real in to but i don't listen to them anymore and honestly i dont even miss it

[quote="CurlyCatholic18, post:1, topic:242187"]
Hi, I'm a 19 year old Roman Catholic who wishes to get closer to Christ, and I listen to hardcore music and some of it has profanity and what not. I was just wondering is it okay to listen to this music? Some of the hardcore bands are actually Christian. Some input please. And also, at shows, when these bands perform, there's this thing we do, its called mawshing or dancing or whatever, and people tend to hit others and what not. It feels good, though I really don't try to hurt anyone, just feels nice to move to the music. Help please, its really hard to explain and it bothers me because I enjoy these things.

[/quote]

Listen to this (about 23 minutes in):

2011-05-21_Palmer-Ciuffo.mp3

God Bless

[/quote]

Music is amoral. The waltz was once considered the devils's music. Who knows how tame hardcore is going to seem in years to come. You rock on and enjoy the music.

Just beware that the lyrics and sometimes the culture that develops around the music; they can sometimes be a bit ify . Just use your common sense and go for it.

Agree with Cadellin. Music is completely amoral. In the past, people have demonized all kinds of music that is fully accepted today. Listen to whatever you want to listen to, dance however you want to dance, live in joy because that is what God created you for and if music helps you be joyous and fills you with positive feeling then there's nothing wrong with it.

Conversely, if any kind of music is making you hateful or act negatively then it is not the right music for you to listen to.

If the Holy Spirit tells you that you should not listen to something, you shouldn't.

I used to listen to Cradle of Filth, but I could no longer lie to myself about whether it is "just music". Not with it's anti-christian songs.

However, there is also Christian hardcore music. That way you don't have to be concerned about anti-Chrisitian lyrics.

A perfect example is Impending Doom, if you're into deathcore.

I would stay out of the mosh pit though. It is too chaotic and people have gotten seriously hurt and have even died in mosh pits.

[/quote]

One day you will have to explain away why you listened to this garbage and not only that, why you let your kids listen to it. And it won't necessarily be God asking first.

When my 14 year old daughter asked me how I could have played this stuff around her when she was little, I had no choice but to say "Because I was an idiot".

[quote="mark_a, post:7, topic:242187"]
One day you will have to explain away why you listened to this **** and not only that, why you let your kids listen to it. And it won't necessarily be God asking first.

When my 14 year old daughter asked me how I could have played this stuff around her, I had no choice but to say "Because I was an idiot".

[/quote]

Are you saying all hardcore music is wrong?

[quote="TrueLight, post:8, topic:242187"]
Are you saying all hardcore music is wrong?

[/quote]

No. But don't ignore the lyrics or believe that they don't have a desensitizing effect.

[quote="mark_a, post:9, topic:242187"]
No. But don't ignore the lyrics or believe that they don't have a desensitizing effect.

[/quote]

I agree.

[/quote]

I'm guessing a lot of people on the thread might not know what you're referring to specifically, so let me specifically address what you're asking: There is in fact a sub-genre of post-punk music called "straight edge," named after the song by Minor Threat, that is essentially anti-drug, anti-smoking, anti-premarital sex, generally anything anti-immorality. Wikipedia the term if you don't believe me:

QUOTE, Straight edge refers to a subculture of hardcore punk which was a direct reaction to the sexual revolution, hedonism, and excess associated with punk rock.[1][2] In its simplest form, straight edge is a philosophy of staying clean and sober: meaning refraining from using alcohol, tobacco, and recreational drugs. For some, this extends to not engaging in promiscuous sex, following a vegetarian or vegan diet, and not using caffeine or prescription drugs.[1] The term was coined by the 1980s hardcore punk band Minor Threat in their song "Straight Edge",[3] UNQUOTE
Source: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straight_edge

Of course, if you're being celibate and living a moral life to be in a "straight edge" clique, that's not exactly the same thing as liking a band because you actually like their music. You might be better off hanging out with some kids at a local LifeTeen group, as they'd be more likely to be living truly 'straight edge' and genuinely like the same kind of music. Trust me on this: You probably won't like the same hardcore music 10 years from now - I routinely find myself on YouTube re-discovering old Black Flag and 7 Seconds songs I had long since forgotten about. Keep the faith - Catholic faith - brother.

[quote="havana1, post:11, topic:242187"]
... named after the song by Minor Threat...

I routinely find myself on YouTube re-discovering old Black Flag and 7 Seconds songs I had long since forgotten about. Keep the faith - Catholic faith - brother.

[/quote]

Sorry to kind of stray off topic (not too far though) but goodness, those are some things I never expected to see on a Catholic forum. I'm not entirely too sure why, but just never figured. The stuff of my teen years.

I don't think I've ever listened to "hardcore" per sey Unless Suicidal Tendencies :p count, which I doubt they do. These days, I find I do not really listen to anything. At all. Veggie Tales maybe. Or mass readings or our youth choir.

I don't know if moshing is right or wrong. As teenager, any show I went to, it was usually there. I didn't much care for it, but wasn't about to stop others from doing so. The only time it was bothersome to me, was when people intentionally or unintentionally took the aggression part a little too far. When you stop and think about it, it really is one of the strangest concepts and I've still yet to see the real point to it :shrug: but that's me. If your intention isn't to seriously harm someone, perhaps it is fine?

hehe I can't say what's moral or immoral, my brain likes to trick me on that.:rolleyes:

If it becomes a real concern for you, it might be a good question to ask your pastor.

what is hardcore? like Husker Du?

Much of this hardcore music contains diabolical lyrics that subconsciously influence our judgment. For example; the song praising Judas by Lady Gaga. Repeating these lyrics over and over again in our minds has a brainwashing affect.

Again, it would be wise to listen to this link to this particular previously aired Catholic radio show hosted by a renowned Catholic psychiatrist Dr. John Palmer and a prominent Catholic Theologian Dr. Anthony Ciuffo. This very popular NY radio show featured a young fellow who was caught up in this music. This segment is about 23 minutes into the show.

2011-05-21_Palmer-Ciuffo.mp3

God Bless

[quote="Bobby_Jim, post:13, topic:242187"]
what is hardcore? like Husker Du?

[/quote]

I'm listening to them and the Foo Fighters today:thumbsup:
I'm actually glad this came up, so Thanks to the OP.
I threw away all my Eminem a couple of years ago..while very talented and funny- not something I want in my CD player if I die on the highway!! I have to agree with the majority on this issue. If you keep growing in faith, then some of those interests will go away through the grace of God. You will not miss them one iota!! I am 45 years old BTW, and a fan of some pretty diverse and heavy, fast, hard music from way back. There are only 2 kinds of music...Good and Bad. Stick with the 'Good' kind!!:D

[quote="Armor_of_Light, post:15, topic:242187"]
I'm listening to them and the Foo Fighters today:thumbsup:
I'm actually glad this came up, so Thanks to the OP.
I threw away all my Eminem a couple of years ago..while very talented and funny- not something I want in my CD player if I die on the highway!! I have to agree with the majority on this issue. If you keep growing in faith, then some of those interests will go away through the grace of God. You will not miss them one iota!! I am 45 years old BTW, and a fan of some pretty diverse and heavy, fast, hard music from way back. There are only 2 kinds of music...Good and Bad. Stick with the 'Good' kind!!:D

[/quote]

Interesting topic in general. Since I had mentioned Husker Du earlier - I really like a couple of their albums. There is some benefit that the screamed vocals on the earlier albums are hard to understand. On Zen Arcade there is one song where Bob Mould screams "I WILL NEVER FORGET YOU! I WILL NEVER FORGIVE YOU!", and then there is one of my favorite songs from them "NEVER TALKING TO YOU AGAIN"... both of these seem very contrary to the notion of Christian forgiveness. However I take them more as a reminder that forgiveness doesn't come easily, or naturally, or quickly in a lot of situations, especially in the immediate aftermath of a painful situation.

I do agree though that sometimes this sort of music which is full of anger and angst only serves to reinforce our own tendencies in that regard, essentially a way to wallow in self-pity rather than rise above the problems in our life, or to reach out in love and forgiveness. It's not healthy if taken to extreme. On a related note, I find that now that I am happily married, I have a lot less interest in angry or sad music. I used to fancy myself the heartbroken, spurned, ignored or rejected guy, and I used to identify with a lot of popular music reflecting themes of sadness, rejection, or disillusionment. However it just doesn't speak to me that much anymore, and I think that's for the better.

Of course nothing is totally new... if one reads the Psalms, one finds psalms of orientation toward God, and then there are psalms of disillusionment and disorientation, and then psalms of re-orientation to God after a period of disillusionment. Not to say that the Psalms are quite like today's popular music, but there is certainly a precedent for songs or art that speak to us more or less strongly at different times in our life.

[quote="Bobby_Jim, post:16, topic:242187"]
Interesting topic in general. Since I had mentioned Husker Du earlier - I really like a couple of their albums. There is some benefit that the screamed vocals on the earlier albums are hard to understand. On Zen Arcade there is one song where Bob Mould screams "I WILL NEVER FORGET YOU! I WILL NEVER FORGIVE YOU!", and then there is one of my favorite songs from them "NEVER TALKING TO YOU AGAIN"... both of these seem very contrary to the notion of Christian forgiveness.\

[/quote]

Don't forget the Husker Du song "Sorry Somehow." I can't think of another song, "secular" or Christian, that has said I'M SORRY so well. And the notion of Christian forgiveness also shows up on Social Distortion's "I Was Wrong." So, it's a very broad generalization and unreally unfair to say that songwriters like Bob Mould, Social D's Mike Ness, or even David Lowery (from Camper Van Beethoven) are pushing immorality. They really aren't.

Try No Innocent Victim. They're a good Christian hXc group.

And try to remember that pretty doesn't equate to holy guys. We need those parts of the body that get angry at evil and are willing to be open about pain and such. Heck, you could TOTALLY set Psalm 18 to metal!

Say Hey
Plenty of hardcore music out there that is christian in nature. They have some real good stuff from Disciple, Pillar, Red and many more. Just look it up on line. The thing is also you need to discern what is catholic and what isnt as far as lyrics. I personnaly dont like the profane music or that of a negative nature.

Secret and Whisper <3

Amazing band who are Christians but do not make Christian Music if you get what I mean. Music still has a positive message for the most part though.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.