Is it okay for a Christian to eat pork?

What verses in the bible supports it?

Why is one needed?

It better be. I’d rather eat pork than any other kind of meat. :smiley:

For Scriptural reference, see Mark, 7: 19.

In the 10th Chapter of Acts Peter fell into a trance where he saw ever kind of unclean animal. God told him to rise, slay, and eat. Peter refused on the grounds of The Law. He said nothing unclean had ever passed his lips. God told him basically nothing he had created was considered unclean. In other words the Law under Moses had been fulfilled by Christ. So therefore there was no longer a need to keep the old Law.
May I suggest Big Bob Gibson BBQ in Decatur Alabama.

With all due respect, that passage has to do with showing Peter that there was no difference in Jew and Gentile, and has nothing to do with eating pork. Jesus and the disciples decidedly did not eat pork as devout Jews and because Christ kept the law in full. Later it was decided by the early Church that circumcision and eating pork should not keep a man from becoming Christian. The Church has said it is ok to eat pork and so shall it be, but for me personally I don’t believe that God’s original intent was for men to eat it. This is simply my opinion and I mean no disrespect to anyone.

You are correct that one of the interpretations is that Jews and gentiles are the same but just like most of the bible there are layers of meanings and another meaning of this coupled with other parts of the new testament is that no food is unclean.

I find it . . . dunno, is “amazing” too strong a word? . . . that this question is still around after 2000 years of Christian history.

From CatholicBible101.com:

Mark 7:18-19: And he said to them, “Then are you also without understanding? Do you not see that whatever goes into a man from outside cannot defile him, since it enters, not his heart but his stomach, and so passes on?” (Thus he declared all foods clean.)

Acts 10:9-16: The next day, as they were on their journey and coming near the city, Peter went up on the housetop to pray, about the sixth hour. And he became hungry and desired something to eat; but while they were preparing it, he fell into a trance and saw the heaven opened, and something descending, like a great sheet, let down by four corners upon the earth. In it were all kinds of animals and reptiles and birds of the air. And there came a voice to him, “Rise, Peter; kill and eat.” But Peter said, “No, Lord; for I have never eaten anything that is common or unclean.” And the voice came to him again a second time, “What God has cleansed, you must not call common.” This happened three times, and the thing was taken up at once to heaven.

I believe that was what I was saying in my reply. It was a time when Peter seemed to be grappling with the transition from his old life as a practicing, Law abiding Jew, to his new life under the dispensation of Grace. You’re right in the broader subject matter of Acts. The book is the pivotal point from Law to Grace, but in this one scenario of showing Peter there is no difference between, Jew, and Greek, God chose the subject matter of food. And in doing so (in my opinion ) he killed two birds with one stone.

I agree. I find this such a non-issue compared to the challenges people are facing every single day in living their faith.

Made my morning!

Some Protestant denominations will scare people by saying that if you eat certain foods your contradicting the Bible. But that was for the Jews as it was given to them in the OT.

If you click on my link, I have a section dedicated to all food is clean. You’ll find all the Bible verses that you’ll need.

mmmmm…bacon…

I dont have scriptural reference but pork is ok to eat as long as it isnt within an hour of communion. Oh and it should be cooked well so ya dont get worms :eek:

All food is permisslbe for Catholics -

Just google “Catholic and food laws”

and from another thread;

Michelle Arnold wrote:
As to the dietary laws, in Acts 10:9-16, Peter is granted a vision in which he is told to “slaughter and eat” a variety of unclean animals. Peter refuses on grounds that the animals are unclean. He was told, “What God has made clean, you are not to call profane.” Peter applies this vision to admitting Gentiles into the Church (Acts 10:19-48) but it is also true in its literal meaning: the dietary laws were no longer binding upon Jewish Christians. Paul confirms this in Colossians 2:16-17: “Let no one, then, pass judgment on you in matters of food and drink or with regard to a festival or new moon or sabbath. These are shadows of things to come; the reality belongs to Christ.”

The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons. Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron. They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth. For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, because it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer.

1 Timothy 4: 1-5

Now I personally think these verses are clearly referring to pork products. Not to mention shrimp and lobster and shellfish… also not kosher. Everything God created is good, especially bacon wrapped scallops.

(giggling) I knew someone about eight years ago who was a Jew and said that bacan was not pork because it (bacon) was from a cow! :smiley:

Mark 7:18-19 inform us of Jesus teaching on the matter:

He said to them, “Are even you likewise without understanding? Do you not realize that everything that goes into a person from outside cannot defile, since it enters not the heart but the stomach and passes out into the latrine?” (Thus he declared all foods clean.)

God’s prohibitions are not arbitrary, but four our good. What good was/is served by a prohibition on eating pork?

Well for one thing it is one of the worst meats for you to eat being a prime source of hypertension and high cholesterol. It is a scavenger and the only animal that will eat it own dead young. As some one else said it can cause trichinosis if not cooked well. Worms will literally crawl out of the meat if left to rot. I mean, I said its acceptable for Christians to eat it, but I believe that the Old Testament is a reflection of God’s perfect will. Does God condemn the Christian for eating it? Obviously not. Did He originally intend for us to eat it? In my humble opinion, no.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.