Is it okay that the Catholic church do things that are unbiblical? How to defend it?

Some people seems to be confident that if the Catholic teaching is not in the Bible, then it’s immediately wrong.

It’s common that some people say that the CC has unbiblical practices. But, how do the CC properly explain that it’s okay?

From some research in Catholic internet sources, I know already that not everything needed to know about Christianity is written in the Bible, some are passed on orally and some are traditions passed on by the apostles, they can be written in other books. There is history that the New Testament is written by Catholics after the ascent of Jesus, and generations later, the real Bible books are differentiated from the fakes first by the Catholics especially the New Testament that exactly has same books in both Catholic and Protestant Bibles of today. Written material is easily faked while a group of people around the world having one belief from a lineage is not easily faked like the CC. It’s an example of the importance of Catholic lineage because nobody else can confirm the authenticity of the real scriptures from an intelligent source. The clergy has succession of being chosen as keepers of Christianity beginning from Jesus and the apostles so It also gave them authority to give new teachings just like Biblical apostles do because they are the new apostles(is this right?). That’s my explanation for now, I hope Catholics here can help me.

I was not aware that there were unbiblical practices within the Catholic Church. Could you give some examples of practices you think are unbiblical?

What does the Church do that is unbiblical? Who is making such a charge? Does he refrain from doing anything not described in the Bible? The Bible does not cover every aspect of life.

That’s like asking “Is it okay that the Police department do things that are unlawful?”

Because some policemen behave incorrectly !

I just want to know what they say the Catholic church is doing now. :popcorn:

The Catholic Church wrote (well, canonized) the dang bible! :bible1:
And I am pretty sure that nowhere therein does it instruct: *“to gather ye together ispired, sacred writings, and bind ye them together into one booke.” *:rolleyes:

No, it is like asking *Are policemen allowed o do things that are not written down in the Jutice Code?" *Of course they are – The code does not say officers may take bathroom breaks, nor specify whether to walk their beats left-right-left-right or right-left-rigt-left, not any number of other minutiae.

:rolleyes: again

tee

Nothing in Church teachings contradicts Scripture.

Some things we do may not be directly mentioned in Scripture, but the Bible actually tells us to keep the traditions we have received through word OR letter. So that solves the issue :slight_smile:

I am in the Catholic Church because of the Bible. The Bible shows the birth of the Church and states quite clearly…

But if I should be delayed, you should know how to behave in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, **the pillar and foundation of truth

**1 Tim 3:15.

OP, you are asking half of a question. Give examples of what you are talking about if you wish people to help you. Your question is too vague.

Nobody, including me, really knows what you are trying say/ask. Please give some specific examples then we can discuss them.

The bible is not the instruction manual for the church. It is good, true, and useful for many many things – but not for basing a church off of. The Word of God is not primarily a book. The Word of God is primarily a person. The Church is based on that person, Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ did not write a book – he founded a society. A Church.

The Church is not a product of the bible – on the contrary the Bible is a product of the Church! It was written, canonized, and given authority by a church that was already well established.

Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Who knows.

Which came first, the Bible or the Church? The Church. :slight_smile: By a couple hundred years.

In fact, the Bible says that the Church is the pillar and foundation of truth.

Man, I can go on and on. Thinking that everything has to be “Biblical” in fact – in itself – very unbiblical!

The only reason they’re confident that Church teaching is not in the Bible is because they follow sources that broke off the Catholic Church.

:yup: :rotfl:

Really.

Can you imagine this scene:

Jesus: I tell you solemnly—

Matthew: Wait, wait, not so fast…[writes laboriously] "I…tell…you…solum"…er, “solim”…um… Hey, how about instead, “I kid you not?”

Jesus: [sighs]

Hi!
…the problem with these people (both non-Catholics and non-Believers) is that they seek to use Scriptures to nullify the Church’s Authority; they search Scriptures (sometimes even historical extra-Biblical writings) to point out what they perceive as “proof” for their claims.

Here’s how simple it is. Most non-Catholic Christians base their denominational credo on sola Scriptura/Fide; yet, both these tenets are not Scriptural since nowhere in Scriptures are these principles found… the closest we find to sola Scriptura is as follows:

24 Do you see that by works a man is justified; and not by faith only? (St. James 2:24)

3 Careful to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. 4 One body and one Spirit; as you are called in one hope of your calling. 5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism. 6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in us all. (Ephesians 4:3-6)

…both of these passages are not proof of what is claimed! Faith alone is not an Apostolic Teaching.

However, Holy Tradition (Oral and Written) is the Apostolic Teaching which most, with the exception of the Church, reject/ignore/contort to mean/include other things:

14 Therefore, brethren, stand fast; and hold the traditions which you have learned, whether by word, or by our epistle. (2 Thessalonians 2:14)

In this passage we have St. Paul admonishing Believers to hold on to the Faith through Apostolic Teachings which has been handed down to them through Apostolic Tradition (Oral and Written)–it takes huge Chinese acrobatics to contort this passage to say/mean not what the Apostles Taught!

Further, Scriptures attest to practices in the Church that are not written down but simply indicated in generic form (ie: the Church’s hierarchy and Doctrine):

And they conversed there in the church a whole year; and they taught a great multitude, so that at Antioch the disciples were first named Christians. (Acts 11:26)

5 And there are diversities of ministries, but the same Lord; 6 And there are diversities of operations, but the same God, who worketh all in all. 28 And God indeed hath set some in the church; first apostles, secondly prophets, thirdly doctors; after that miracles; then the graces of healing, helps, governments, kinds of tongues, interpretations of speeches. 29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all doctors? 30 Are all workers of miracles? Have all the grace of healing? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret? (1 Corinthians 12:5, 6, 28, 29, 30)

17 For this reason I have sent to you Timothy, my son whom I love, who is faithful in the Lord. He will remind you of my way of life in Christ Jesus, which agrees with what I teach everywhere in every church. (1 Corinthians 4:17)

Scriptures clearly demonstrate that the Church Founded by Christ developed Liturgy, Doctrine, and hierarchy–all, Biblical; all rejected by those who do not want to the Church to have Authority over them.

Sadly, ignorance/rejection of Scriptures keeps the Body of Christ in constant schism; the concern should not be about divesting the Church Founded by Christ of the Authority Delegated to her by Christ Jesus but of reconciling all members into the Unity of that One Faith, One Baptism, One Gospel, One Lord, One God:

25 That there might be no schism in the body; but the members might be mutually careful one for another. 26 And if one member suffer any thing, all the members suffer with it; or if one member glory, all the members rejoice with it. 27 Now you are the body of Christ, and members of member. (1 Corinthians 12:25-27)

Maran atha!

Angel

PS: actually, atheism *is *a form of religion: an interest, a belief, or an activity that is very important to a person or group (Merriam-Webster) (merriam-webster.com/dictionary/religion)

The proper counter is to ask where it says that all things that Christians do must be found in the Bible. There is no such mandate…not even implied. Check out these threads where we dealt with this.

[LIST]
*]It’s NOT in the Bible, okay?
*]It’s NOT in the Bible, okay? (Part II)
*]since the Bible is the Word of God it is all we need…
*]“If anyone teaches/preaches something that is not in scripture”
[/LIST]
These articles:

[LIST]
*]Does the Bible teach that everything that we belie…
*]Refuting the fundamental modern error of Sola Scriptura.
[/LIST]
The fact is that that idea itself has no basis in scripture and so it violates its own premise and, by its own standard, cannot be a true Christian doctrine.

Carefully scrutinize any and all scriptures you are offered by these proponents of Sola Scriptura and you’ll see that none of them say what they assert them to say on this doctrine.

Therefore if it’s not in the Bible why should Catholics be bound by it? In fact…why should any professing Christian? :slight_smile:

For those who are asking for unbiblical things by Catholics, on top my head are the Rosary, use of holy water, monstrances and saints hear prayers.

Please don’t get defensive from me, I’m looking forward for Catholics to defend well.

I won’t get defensive with you. :slight_smile: But 2 things about the charge that others bring up bother me: 1) there’s nothing in the Bible that says all worship must be based on the Bible and 2) non-Catholics also do things that aren’t necessarily found in the Bible.

To illustrate point 2: My dad was raised Protestant but considered himself an atheist for years. He was converted when he was about 45 & was a faithful Protestant Christian for the rest of his life. But it really bugged him when a preacher would brag that they didn’t have soul-less rituals like other churches (meaning Catholics). Dad would point out that their Protestant church had rituals, too - they would have an opening hymn, opening prayer, a word from this person & that, and so on to the closing hymn. Don’t think that schedule is found in the Bible! :smiley:

God is not the God of the dead, but of the living ! The Saints are living and pray to God just like us. All Christians pray for each other’s, that’s why the Saints pray for us.

Just as the first Christians had holy things, todays Christians had have holy things.

Acts 19:11 “And God did extraordinary miracles by the hands of Paul, so that handkerchiefs or aprons were carried away from his body to the sick, and diseases left them and the evil spirits came out of them.”

Things from Saint Paul and other Saints bodies are holy.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.