Is it okay to attend a Mass that has connections with Una Voce?

I love to attend Tridentine Masses, approved ones only, of course.

I have noticed that many of the approved Tridentine Masses have connections to Una Voce, the group formerly headed by the late Michael Davies. He was an apologist for Archbishop Lefebvre and the Society of Saint Pius X(SSPX), although he also recommended approved Masses. Mr Davies, as far as I know, never apologised for his connections to the SSPX, and they still publish some of his books. Una Voce definitely admires Mr Davies.

Many people at approved Tridentine Masses that I have attended, admire Mr Davies, and some of these approved Masses are even “run” by groups with official connections to Una Voce.

So I am wondering:

Is it okay to attend a Tridentine Mass, celebrated with the permission of the local Bishop, that has connections to Una Voce?

Sean O L, what do you think?

Thank you!

A note to the moderators:

Would a better place for this thread be in the Liturgy and Sacraments forum?

Thank you!

[quote=GoLatin]I love to attend Tridentine Masses, approved ones only, of course.

I have noticed that many of the approved Tridentine Masses have connections to Una Voce, the group formerly headed by the late Michael Davies. He was an apologist for Archbishop Lefebvre and the Society of Saint Pius X(SSPX), although he also recommended approved Masses. Mr Davies, as far as I know, never apologised for his connections to the SSPX, and they still publish some of his books. Una Voce definitely admires Mr Davies.

Many people at approved Tridentine Masses that I have attended, admire Mr Davies, and some of these approved Masses are even “run” by groups with official connections to Una Voce.

So I am wondering:

Is it okay to attend a Tridentine Mass, celebrated with the permission of the local Bishop, that has connections to Una Voce?

Thank you!
[/quote]

If the Mass is and Indult Mass, I don’t see why it wouldn’t be OK to go to it unless the priest is preaching something contra to the Faith regardless of the Indult. You’ll find people holding schismatic views at a Novus Ordo Mass too. The focus for us should be on the Mass, not the whacky views of those who attend the Mass.

[quote=bear06]If the Mass is and Indult Mass, I don’t see why it wouldn’t be OK to go to it unless the priest is preaching something contra to the Faith regardless of the Indult. You’ll find people holding schismatic views at a Novus Ordo Mass too. The focus for us should be on the Mass, not the whacky views of those who attend the Mass.
[/quote]

If the Priest himself is a supporter of Una Voce(and many Indult Priests are), then would the Mass still be “okay” to attend?

Some of these Indult Masses, like I said in my original post, are actually “run” by official affiliates of Una Voce.

Your help is appreciated! Thank you!

Does anybody have any more input?

Thank you!:slight_smile:

Una Voce is a group seeking the ‘generous and widespread’ Latin Mass that Pope John Paul II asked for. They are entirely in union with Rome! Go to Mass at any chapel affiliated with Una Voce with full confidence.

Ave Maria!

www.unavoce.org

I just find it difficult to stomach that Una Voce will not repudiate Michael Davies. There are other things about them that I dislike, as well. I will, therefore, not support them financially until further notice.

[quote=GoLatin]I just find it difficult to stomach that Una Voce will not repudiate Michael Davies. There are other things about them that I dislike, as well. I will, therefore, not support them financially until further notice.
[/quote]

I understand you concern. The mass isn’t illicit (at least not for having an Una Voce supporter as it’s celebrant). The priest, presumably, is still in good standing with the Church, yes? If so, and he’s not preaching contrary to the Faith, I don’t think it could be wrong. Even if he is preaching contrary to the Faith, it’s still a valid Mass. The error would be with him. Have you asked the priest what he thinks of Michael Davies?

I, personally, think if you’re attracted to the TLM that it would be good having someone with your concerns there to counter any radical traditionalists who might be trying to spread error.

[quote=GoLatin]I just find it difficult to stomach that Una Voce will not repudiate Michael Davies. There are other things about them that I dislike, as well. I will, therefore, not support them financially until further notice.
[/quote]

Would you ask Pope Benedict XVI to repudiate Michael Davies as well? Here is his tribute to Mr. Davies after his death in 2004:

"I have been profoundly touched by the news of the death of Michael Davies. I had the good fortune to meet him several times and I found him as a man of deep faith and ready to embrace suffering. Ever since the Council he put all his energy into the service of the Faith and left us important publications especially about the Sacred Liturgy. Even though he suffered from the Church in many ways in his time, he always truly remained a man of the Church. He knew that the Lord founded His Church on the rock of St Peter and that the Faith can find its fullness and maturity only in union with the successor of St Peter. Therefore we can be confident that the Lord opened wide for him the gates of heaven. We commend his soul to the Lord’s mercy."
Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger
(Translated from the original German)
9 November 2004

Is that group not fully orthodox? What information do you have that it is anything but in full communion with Rome?

[quote=fix]Is that group not fully orthodox? What information do you have that it is anything but in full communion with Rome?
[/quote]

They’ve gone more from promoting the TLM to attacking the Pauline Mass over the years. Their website also promotes books/bookstores with less than great books.

[quote=bear06]They’ve gone more from promoting the TLM to attacking the Pauline Mass over the years. Their website also promotes books/bookstores with less than great books.
[/quote]

I just went to their website:

Any writings presented on this webpage are believed to be fully orthodox and in perfect compliance with the teaching magisterium of the Church. We accept that the 1969 Novus Ordo of Pope Paul VI is a valid rite of Mass. We accept that the Second Vatican Council was a valid Ecumenical Council of the Church and we hold that its teachings are to be given the appropriate respect in relation to authority of its decrees.
unavoce.org/about.htm

There is nothing wrong with Una Voce. Just because Mr. Davies was an apologist for Msgr. Lefebvre it doesn’t mean that he was outside of orthodoxy. There are some very serious canonical and theological points that can be discussed in favor of what was done without respect to certain other aspects.

Una Voce is working in colaberation with the Ecclesia Dei Commission and various groups that are associated with the use of latin in the liturgy and not exclusively the Tridentine Mass.

[quote=mosher]There is nothing wrong with Una Voce. Just because Mr. Davies was an apologist for Msgr. Lefebvre it doesn’t mean that he was outside of orthodoxy. There are some very serious canonical and theological points that can be discussed in favor of what was done without respect to certain other aspects.

Una Voce is working in colaberation with the Ecclesia Dei Commission and various groups that are associated with the use of latin in the liturgy and not exclusively the Tridentine Mass.
[/quote]

That is what I thought. The sites I have seen show they are good folks.

[quote=fix]That is what I thought. The sites I have seen show they are good folks.
[/quote]

You might want to look into why other orthodox Catholics have a problem with Mr. Davies and the bookstores they endorse before you make such a judgment.

[quote=GoLatin]I love to attend Tridentine Masses, approved ones only, of course.

So I am wondering:

Thank you!
[/quote]

Since the late Pope has encouraged the work of Una Voce on several occasions, the answer is definitely, “Yes”.

The late Michael Davies did a very great deal to admire - his work on behalf of the International Federation of Una Voce in particular. If canonised saints can get away with admiring heretics, why can laymen not be given similar latitude ? No reason - what is allowable for one, is allowable for both

unavoce.org/news/2005/FIUV_GA.htm ##

If canonised saints can get away with admiring heretics, why can laymen not be given similar latitude ?

:rotfl:

[quote=bear06]You might want to look into why other orthodox Catholics have a problem with Mr. Davies and the bookstores they endorse before you make such a judgment.
[/quote]

The Vatican has no problem with them. State your proof.

[quote=Gottle of Geer]## Since the late Pope has encouraged the work of Una Voce on several occasions, the answer is definitely, “Yes”.

The late Michael Davies did a very great deal to admire - his work on behalf of the International Federation of Una Voce in particular. If canonised saints can get away with admiring heretics, why can laymen not be given similar latitude ? No reason - what is allowable for one, is allowable for both

unavoce.org/news/2005/FIUV_GA.htm ##
[/quote]

Can you explain this more? I am missing your point. Are you saying this Davies was a heretic or that he admired a heretic?

[quote=fix]The Vatican has no problem with them. State your proof.
[/quote]

I did ot say the Vatican said they had a problem with them, did I? So you can stop accusing me of something that didn’t happen.

The Vatican has been rare to speak out on these matters and seeks to keep unification with those who are heading in the wrong direction. I hardly doubt they will speak out on the matter. That said, Msgr. Calkins and Msgr. Perl have constantly warned of going too far in their talks.

TAN and Latin Mass magazine have had some questionable publications. They have both started to imbibe the spirit of radical traditionalism and I think it’s quite sad since I believe both could have done a lot of good.

Once again, I encouraged people to find out why Mr. Davies has been questioned by so many orthodox Catholics.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.