Is It Okay To Have Christmas Tree Up During Advent?

Is it okay to have a Christmas tree up at the beginning of Advent? Growing up we’ve always had our Christmas tree and decorations after Thanksgiving. Now that I’m older and more aware of the significance and meaning of Advent, I’m no longer sure about keeping a family tradition of putting the Christmas tree up after Thanksgiving. Is it wrong to have the Christmas tree up that early? Am I offending God by doing so? Thanks.

Home Christmas trees and decorations are mostly social in nature and therefore are not part of Church rules. Its up to you and your family to determine how you will observe Advent and prepare for Christmas in your own home. Perhaps a compromise could be to decorate the tree and house over the course of the weeks of Advent. That way the home is still festive yet the piece by piece process of decorating builds the anticipation for Christmas.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.