Is it okay to paint a room on Sunday?

My family is painting my sister’s room right now and it is Sunday. I would enjoy helping but I don’t know if it would go against Sunday rest. I don’t think that it is too strenuous or that it would take away from glory to God. Please help me because there are other occasions similar to this where I would like to help out as well.

In my opinion, you should do it. It’s ok to do things which are typically considered “manual labor” if you find them relaxing or enjoyable - for example, jogging on Sunday is wrong for somebody who sees it only only as a chore, while it is encouraged for something who enjoys a long relaxing jog in the fresh air. You say you would enjoy it, which makes me think it falls into that category.

Not only that, but spending time with family is part of what we are supposed to do on Sunday. This is a family activity and in my opinion, that makes it not only ok, but good to do.

There will be varying opinions given here, and at the end of the day this is a decision that you’re going to have to make for yourself. But that’s what I personally think.

It is a charitable thing for your family to do for your sister, not servile labor. I think that it is okay to do on Sunday.

Sundays are for family and God. This seems like a family event, so go for it.

I don’t think “no work” means just sitting on the couch all day. I made dinner for my family, which is work, but I’m not sure there’s anyway around that.

The only way this could be wrong is if you were doing this for a wage or if you were doing this instead of going to Mass.

CCC 2185, Family needs or important social service (Like nursing, police, fire service etc.) can legitimately excuse one from the obligation of Sunday rest.

I just painted our nursery room for baby number 5 on Sunday. And you even have your honoring of your parents to consider.

Do you think I am unworthy of the Eucharist or deserving of hell?

Nowadays I just wonder what Christians don’t do on Sundays!

have you any restrictions on your behaviour because its the Lord’s Day?

A Titanic Survivor

The sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath.

Mark 2:27

That is an unfortunate view you have of your fellow man.

But I submit my families resume for your approval.

On Sundays we indeed get up early. (it is the only day we get up early) To go to Mass as a family. My daughters are in the Choir. Then afterward, we have a family breakfast sometimes with other members of the parish. Then we go home and the rest of the day is devoted to family time and prayer time. But wait, there’s more! At 7 PM every Sunday we pile back up in the van and go back to the parish for Benediction and adoration. We wake Jesus up and put Him to bed.

But wait there’s more.

As Catholics we are not just called to make some one day of the week the only day we observe God. On Fridays we are meatless as well, and I take all 4 of my kids to daily Mass at noon.

On Monday’s we have our own adoration hour late. Because we are a late type family. So there we are, all 6 of us and a pregnant wife at 11PM adoring for an hour.
Wednesdays lately have been Devoted to a book and Bible Study at the parish.

Now, what we do on Sunday’s or the rest of the week is not extraordinary for the families in our parish. But what bothers me is the seeming attitude of some (and I read this into your post) that mowing the lawn or anything else that I do on a Sunday is somehow dishonoring God.

I am quite confident that my resume meets God’s standards and approval. Yours however might be a little to hard for me to achieve.

We had this discussion at a prayer group recently. Someone posed the question of what to do when Saturday is a work day, just like Monday through Friday. If Sunday is the only day free, can a person, after mass, work on household chores? Like mowing the grass and laundry?

The group was divided on this issue.

I forgot to add that the deacon there said that life has changed since the commandments were written, it is permissible in circumstances such as these.

Regina7, at your next prayer group just mention to them that,
Life may have changed but the Commandments have remained unchanged.
CCC
2172 God’s action is the model for human action. If God “rested and was refreshed” on the seventh day, man too ought to “rest” and should let others, especially the poor, "be refreshed."96 The Sabbath brings everyday work to a halt and provides a respite. It is a day of protest against the servitude of work and the worship of money.97

CCC
2185, Family needs or important social service (Like nursing, police, fire service etc.) can legitimately excuse one from the obligation of Sunday rest.

Family needs include attending to household chores, family gatherings etc. A picnic or BBQ with friends etc., you are not doing these things for money, and you are not made to do these things against your will or by another person, e.g. an employer. You are not under threat of loosing your position if you do not do these things on that day, your soul is at rest and at peace whilst doing such things with family or friends or even if you are just relaxing with a good book.

If you are made to work on a Sunday and you can’t afford to lose your job, then this is not of your doing but of your employers doing and your employer is the one who is breaking this commandment. (If possible you still need to attend Mass) but for some it is impossible to do both on the Sunday.

Yes times have changed but the law hasn’t,
it’s just that many today don’t know or understand it as well as they did in times past.
and sadly, there are some who even choose to ignore it.

I always work around the house on weekends, Saturday and Sunday both.

I enjoy it. It’s not servile labor to paint a room, or do some woodworking, or cut the grass if a person enjoys it. My dad used to work outside in the garden every time he had a free moment. His philosophy was that God wanted us to enjoy Creation, be outside, and get our hands down into the dirt.

My grandfather, on the other hand, worked all week, and on Sundays he would say, “No work on Sunday!” and watch TV all day. Of course, my grandmother was cooking, serving supper, and cleaning it up afterward. :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.