Is it okay to pray for revenge?

Since vengeance is of the Lord? Doesn’t it?

Jesus taught forgiveness instead.

It would be better to pray that God give the perpetrator the grace of repentance.

The best way to destroy an enemy is to turn them into a friend.

You can’t love the Lord and not Love your neighbor. In effect you would be praying to the Lord with ill thoughts about His creation of which we are all in this together. I can’t see that being productive. Take another good look as your neighbor may be there for your understanding of this.

If I know god he will use that prayer to heal your hurt and anger.

It is natural to be angry when hurt or afraid. God understands this.

But the whole point of your life is to learn to love yourself, others, and God.

That said the problem of evil has been solved for is by the cross of Jesus.

Ultimately those people who reject mercy do not receive it. However those who hold anger or un forgiveness cannot enter the kingdom. That is why it is important to cling to jesus and not material things or even people.

Your challenge is to turn you desire for vengeance to a desire for justice. What is the most just outcome for the community and the church. Vengeance however belongs to God because he is the first depositer of life. We are all just secondary co owners.

I have learned that often god brings difficult people into my life so I can pray for them.

However, when someone does something evil to you such as steal from you, kill a family member of yours, steal your wife etc you are often tempted to do the same things or get down to their level. In effect return evil for evil.

If jesus is your main focus you will seek no other justification then to be in his presence and the vanity of life will have less of a hold over you.

“. . .as we forgive those. . .”

I got this recently in a newsletter. Perhaps it will be of interest.

Have you ever imagined praying somewhat in the following manner? “Come, O Lord, do not delay/ Kill my enemies, do it today.” Most of us would say, more or less sincerely, God preserve me from ever thinking that way! But Augustine (a bit playfully) says, go right ahead, pray for the death of your enemies. But in this sense: desiring that the world be set right with God, pray that your enemies will be reclaimed for Him. For then, more truly than any other way, your enemies will be dead, for they will no longer be your enemies. And praying that God will touch your enemies might indeed be just what you need to open your heart to God’s healing touch.

I would say no.

Christ taught forgiveness and to pray for those who persecute us.

No, Jesus taught to pray and love your enemies.

No, don’t pray for revenge on your enemies. Pray that they will become devout Roman Catholics faithful to the magisterium, knowledgeable in apologetics, and devoted to spreading the faith. That’ll teach them to mess with you!

No. Pray for their conversion instead.

Pray for God’s Will to be done and for the grace for you to accept His Will.

No.

Anyone who has read what Jesus taught knows the answer is no.

The Lord’s prayer.
Sermon on the Mount.
Etc etc

As you’re an atheist I am surprised you’re even asking this question.
Who is ‘Lord’ you mention?
You sound as though you may be open to accepting the existence of a higher authority.
I will keep you in my prayers in the hope that you continue to pursue the idea of accepting Jesus Christ

I’m just referring to the verse:

Roman 12:19
Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,” says the Lord.

I thought that Christians shouldn’t have revenge by themselves but could pray to God for revenge. Not sure so I’m asking here.

Yes. Prophet Moses [peace be upon him] prayed for Pharoah’s destruction.

Moses prayed: ‘Our Lord! Thou hast indeed bestowed on Pharaoh and his chiefs splendour and wealth in the life of the present, and so, Our Lord, they mislead (men) from Thy Path. Deface, our Lord, the features of their wealth, and send hardness to their hearts, so they will not believe until they see the grievous penalty’. Allah said: ‘Accepted is your prayer (O Moses and Aaron)! So stand ye straight, and follow not the path of those who know not’” (Qur’an 10:88-89)

Allah azza wa jal went on to destroy Pharoah and his men; He saved the jews (who were under heavy persecution at the time). Prophet Noah [peace be upon him] asked Allah to destroy the unbelievers of his day:

And Noah, said: ‘O my Lord! leave not of the Unbelievers, a single one on earth! For, if Thou dost leave (any of) them, they will but mislead Thy devotees, and they will breed none but wicked ungrateful ones. O my Lord! forgive me, my parents, all who enter my house in faith, and (all) believing men and believing women: and to the wrong-doers grant Thou no increase but in perdition’” (Qur’an 71:26-28)

I’m fairly sure that you can pray that your enemies stop persecuting you. Have you ever read and prayed the psalms? I did when I was being attacked by a very mean person in my office who was spreading lies about me and was trying to ruin my reputation. Psalm 3 is one of my favorites because it expresses exactly how hopeless and helpless I felt:

O Lord, how many are my foes;
Many are rising against me;
many are saying to me,
“There is no help for you in God.”

Rise up, O Lord!
For you strike all my enemies on the cheek;
you break the teeth of the wicked.

Psalm 5

Give ear to my words, O Lord:
give heed to my sighing;
Listen to the sound of my cry;
my King and my God,
for to you I pray.

For you are not a God who delights in wickedness;
You destroy those who speak lies;
the Lord abhors the bloodthirsty and deceitful.

God punishes for every sin. God’s justice is perfect so only he can determine certain punishments.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.