Is it okay to receive communion without going to confession first?

Is it a sin to receive communion without confessing one’s sins to a priest first?(even if one asked God’s forgiveness and really repented for the sins he/she has made?)

If confession is really necessary before receiving communion, how far back should my last confession be before I receive communion?

How often should we confess our sins?

If one was not able to confess his/her sins before he/she died but she was able to ask God’s forgiveness and really felt sorry and ashamed of what he/she did, will he/she not be forgiven by God?

Sorry if I have too many questions. I’m so confused. Thank you.

Hi,

One must go to Confession before receiving Holy Communion only if one has a mortal sin on his or her soul. It is a good practice to go to Confession at least one a month even if the only sins one has committed are merely venial. One must never receive Holy Communion in the state of mortal sin. To do so is itself another mortal sin.

Should one be in danger of death, one may make a perfect act of contrition. Such an act must be the result of one’s sorrow for having offended God rather than simply the desire to avoid the punishments of hell.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.