Is it okay to watch stuff with inaccurate portrayals of clergy people?

Religion is sometimes portrayed with inaccuracy,ignorance and even insult in media such as movies and clergy people are no exception to this.I've always had a bit of a problem seeing clergy people fighting,being portrayed as antagonists and occasionely killed even if this portrayal is in something like having a poke-battle with a monk in a certain temple in Pokemon Silver (which I played when I was little).Examples that I can think of that have clergy people being portrayed in ways that might be argueable is (with Catholics) Van Helsing,Priest,Dogma and the* Trinity blood* anime and (with Buddhists) tons of movies having to do something with Shaolin monks.Yes I know they can fight I just really doubt that they would be pushed to do stuff like in those movies.In the case of Catholics I'm thinking particulary about movies that take place** after** the middle ages when the Church had real political power and I guess that might have been the main reason for anti-clericism not like today when you cant really use that as a reason.Thank you very much so for your time

I think movies and TV inaccurately portray a lot of things. How many people think that librarians all have white hair tied up in buns and go around shushing people? :P Actually, I'm a brunette (and technically not a full-fledged librarian yet, but the comparison still stands).

You know what? If it makes you uncomfortable, you don't have to watch it, nobody should be made to feel uncomfortable by something they see on TV, read in a book, or play in a game. :)

I think it's worth mentioning, as a Pokemon fan (since Pokemon Blue) that battling is considered an acceptable way of resolving conflict, and, technically, the trainers aren't battling, the Pokemon are! :) Apparently the Pokemon don't mind so much...

I kinda hate the fact that the simpsons portray in an inappropriate way God, Mary, and Catholics. It was such an enjoyable program before...
I know they do it with everyone but still...

A 2010 Australian movie called Bran Nue Dae got very good reviews and audiences, and I would have gone to see it, but didn't, because of a pejorative caricature of clergy in the trailer...

Bran Nue Day movie - racist priest scene

(The priest says, with a viscous snarl: "I should have known one of your aborigine kind would be worth nothing")

This is a typical caricature of priests, and I refused to attend a movie which used it.

[quote="Lokabrenna, post:2, topic:252082"]
I think movies and TV inaccurately portray a lot of things. How many people think that librarians all have white hair tied up in buns and go around shushing people?

[/quote]

Of course they do! :)

And

[LIST]
*]People who visit libraries are totally unathletic and wear glasses
*]Vets (vet surgeons, that is) are gentle, slightly unkempt, almost sinless beings;
*]West Indians are cool, cool, cool...
*]Hairdressers gossip
*]Mortuary workers have a morbid sense of humour
*]Cops live to catch bad guys
[/LIST]
:D

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.