Is it okay to wear a hat while praying?

Maybe a stupid question, but I would really like to know. Is it acceptable to wear a hat (for warmth and comfort) when praying in private devotion? I have always assumed it disrespectful, but maybe I’m wrong (happens a lot!) :slight_smile:

I have no idea why no one has answered this yet, so you’re stuck with me. :slight_smile: There is no Catholic rule forbidding you to pray at home or in the car with a hat on your head for warmth. If you are male, do not wear a hat at mass. If you are female, you may wear a hat at mass, and in some circumstances, I’d advise you wear the hat at mass.

Bishops (and popes and cardinals) have special rules they observe for when they have their mitre on and when they don’t. (a mitre is that special bishop hat)

Thanks, Pug. I appreciate you taking the time.

God bless.

No, the hat stops the prayers from getting through, or may distort the message or request … aluminum foil or metal helmets however amplify the message as well as incoming responses… form to the shape of a dunce cap to optimize the effects… :smiley: sorry I couldn’t resist

I pray with my hunting or fishing hat on all the time!

In the Winter, if it is cold I may wear a hat while I’m driving to work. And I pray the Rosary. I never gave it much thought.

There are many Jewish men who wear a hat while praying and would consider it inappropriate not to wear a hat.

Frankly, I think that Mary and Jesus are most interested in our attitudes when we pray. I think one of Mary’s biggest questions is how much resolve is there to amend one’s life? What is in the head is more important than what is on it.

Why not? I do even worse. I pray in bed, clad only in underwear. And I sleep with three cats…and the cats are NUDE! That’s right, no cats’ pajamas. If it is a private devotion, I doubt if Mother Mary or anyone else will be put off by what you are or are not wearing. Just my opinion. of course.

:warning: Too Much Information :warning: Too Much Information :warning:

In summer when it’s extremely warm I’ve been known to go to bed wearing ‘only Chanel No. 5’ as Marilyn Monroe put it (though with my bathrobe close to hand in case of sudden need to exit for any reason).

Not a stitch on. If I feel moved to prayer whilst in that state, I pray.

Plenty of people will pray in the shower first thing in the mornings.

St Teresa of Avila used to pray on the toilet.

God sees us in all states of dress and undress (scary, huh) and I’m sure is fine with whatever we wear or not whilst praying.

Yes, pray always.

NUDE Cats !!! :rotfl: what’s the world coming to ???

Saint Paul may beg to differ:

Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ.

I praise you because you remember me in everything and hold fast to the traditions, just as I handed them on to you.

But I want you to know that Christ is the head of every man, and a husband the head of his wife, and God the head of Christ.

Any man who prays or prophesies with his head covered brings shame upon his head.

But any woman who prays or prophesies with her head unveiled brings shame upon her head, for it is one and the same thing as if she had had her head shaved.

For if a woman does not have her head veiled, she may as well have her hair cut off.

But if it is shameful for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should wear a veil.

A man, on the other hand, should not cover his head, because he is the image and glory of God, but woman is the glory of man.

• 1 Corinthians 11:1-7

Then again, I’m a guy with hair halfway down his back, so make of that what you will.

I don’t think it matters. I’d say it’s up to you wether you think it’s disrespectful or not.

Let me put it this way:

Is it okay to pray while wearing a hat?

There’s an old joke:

Two Jesuit novices both wanted a cigarette while they prayed. They decided to ask their superior for permission. The first asked but was told no. A little while later he spotted his friend smoking and praying. “Why did the superior allow you to smoke and not me?” he asked. His friend replied, “Because you asked if you could smoke while you prayed, and I asked if I could pray while I smoked!”

I wouldn’t
but I remember going into the church building and having gumboots on and overalls but I saw people were receiving the host and I went in to receive mine and I received a larger portian. Does that give you an answer as to weither God minds the hat or if we are goiing to pray to Him.

God bless
littleone

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.