Is it okay to wear a mantilla while going through RCIA?

I am so sorry you are having this battle within yourself. When you go to Mass try to focus only on the alter, don’t look around, don’t try to figure out what other people’s motivations are, just be there for our Lord.

I dislike all the funky hand gestures of the parishioners during Mass. I also recognize this is MY issue and not theirs. I am training myself to let go of it while I place my focus on the most important thing at Mass, the Eucharist.

yes you can.

As FYI - Protestant women used to wear head coverings to Church too. Though, they often used hats or bonnets.

There are no rules against wearing one. Do your “thing”

(On this website, there are people who seem to be struck with fear that there are rules about everything. I feel bad that so many people think that way. There are more rules in baseball and golf than in the church about this. Only the priest has rules for what to wear. If there were such rules, there would be a big book of rules at the front door of the church. I have heard that there are some sort of rules at the Vatican regarding visitors. From time to time I will hear priests complain about men wearing shorts or dressed for golf or for the beach. In my town, one parish has a Sunday Mass in the beer tent set up for the parish festival. There are big signs for different brands of beer. i think only the state law itself prohibits drinking beer before noon. If people aren’t drinking beer before Mass in the tent, it still smells like beer…and worse. )

I read your post and understood that this was your feeling, not the feeling of all. That is why I asked about those wearing crucifixes, etc. I guess it just doesn’t occur to me to question why someone is wearing a veil at Mass when this is an accepted and quite common practice. This is something done within the confines of a church building, not out in public in a restaurant. I only wondered where you drew the line.

I love that this was your reaction. I worked in a school and a Muslim substitute teacher asked if there was some place he could pray. I found him a private location, unlocked the room for him, etc. Later that day, I told him how much I admired his dedication to prayer. It was a hardship for him to find a place to pray - yet he did that every day. We have access to God no matter where we are, but how often do we take advantage of that?

That’s your problem, not the OP’s.

Some parishes prefer to do the reception into full communion at a time other than the Easter Vigil.

Excuse me? Crossing yourself before eating should only be done in public at a church event?!?! Are you embarrassed to be Catholic? I’m not and I’ll cross myself before eating no matter where I am.

Our priests have permission to Confirm only at the Easter Vigil. So the catechumens and candidates are usually Confirmed then. The cathedral has two big Confirmations during the year. Candidates who were not Confirmed at the Vigil go to one of those along with kids from any parish who would like them Confirmed then.

It is a personal thing between you and God. You are doing it for Him and no one else not even yourself. If it feels right in your heart do it. He will know and He will understand your reasons.

So they can’t be received into full communion when they are ready? I’ll admit that we haven’t had many received into full communion but it was always done whenever Fr. felt they were ready. They were not made to wait until the Vigil. In fact, we’ve never had anyone received at the Vigil in my 21 years in this parish.

It depends. Most choose to go to RCIA and be received into the Church at the vigil. Some choose to go to the Cathedral. Some who have a good grasp of what the church teaches may just meet with the pastor a few times. But for each Confirmation outside of the vigil the priest needs special permission from the Bishop. There is no blanket permission here.

I wish we did ours that way! (In the US)

[quote=“Mi_Rose, post:30, topic:539997, full:true”]
Our priests have permission to Confirm only at the Easter Vigil. [/quote]

Can. 883 The following possess the faculty of administering confirmation by the law itself:

1/ within the boundaries of their jurisdiction, those who are equivalent in law to a diocesan bishop;

2/ as regards the person in question, the presbyter who by virtue of office or mandate of the diocesan bishop baptizes one who is no longer an infant or admits one already baptized into the full communion of the Catholic Church;

In our diocese they all have to have a mandate from the Bishop.

I’ll say Grace wherever and whenever I want. I don’t care what anyone else thinks about it.

LM[quote=“Cruciferi, post:37, topic:539997, full:true”]

I’ll say Grace wherever and whenever I want. I don’t care what anyone else thinks about it.
[/quote]

Agreed, but sadly, as we see, even some Catholics have bought into the secular mindset that no tangible sign of one’s faith should be visible in public, because it might be misinterpreted by others. Even a simple little gesture such as making the sign of the cross at grace is perceived as something that could be considered ostentatious, and should be avoided for fear of offending others. Logically, what follows next—don’t wear the cross, because it might traumatize someone? When I think of the martyrs of Church history, I wonder what they would have been encouraged not to do or say.

That’s reassuring to know. I had sometimes wondered whether I had missed out in some way. I was received by the university chaplain, and I think receptions must have been fairly thin on the ground, as he certainly didn’t mention anybody else being prepared for reception at the same time. There was a bit of a question about whether he should receive me or whether I should wait and get it done at my parish back home. He came down on the side of doing it himself and said that if I waited to get it done at my home parish they’d probably want me “to do a course”, which he said as if it would be a bad thing. But it does mean that I get a bit confused when people talk about things like the Rite of Election, because my experience was very much less complicated than that.

By way of contrast, I had previously been confirmed in the Church of England, and that was a fairly unsatisfactory experience. All the boys wishing to be confirmed had to attend a course with a priest once per week. The priest had been a schoolmaster before he was ordained, which showed in the way he ran the classes. The main problem was that he had to pitch his course at a level that would be accessible to a group that had a range of ages, intellectual ability, prior knowledge, and genuine interest in the subject. For example, the priest mentioned in one class that he personally held very strongly republican views. I wondered whether he could explain how he had been able to take the Oath of Allegiance while holding these views. I didn’t think that this was any trivial matter, a priest swearing an oath by Almighty God that he would be faithful and bear true allegiance to the Queen while holding beliefs that were completely contradictory. Surely this raises important questions about one’s conscience (how can somebody who is a Christian swear an oath by Almighty God promising to do something that he has no intention of doing and is, indeed, opposed to as a matter of principle?) Of course, this wasn’t on the syllabus, and there was neither time nor inclination to explore a topic that could in fact have been much more important than the topics we did cover. One-to-one instruction would have allowed a more freely flowing discussion exploring important topics in the depth desired.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.