Is it possible for a Catholic Priest to celebrate a Catholic Mass at the National Cathedral?

The priest where I attended Mass last Sunday announced he was going to accompany the 7th and 8th graders to Washington DC this spring and was going to have Mass at the National Cathedral.

The National Cathedral is an Episcopal church and I have concerns how that would work with a Catholic priest and the Holy Eucharist.

I researched the National Cathedral and noticed that they have women priests and I also read somewhere that same sex marriages would be officiated there in the future.

How is it that a Catholic priest can preside over a Mass at an Episcopal church, and who would give him the permission to do that?

Perhaps I am mistaken, but was the priest correct in announcing his intent to the congregation? If yes, please explain. If not, then my concern is that he has stated something that is confusing to the parishoners and being that it was a special school mass there were many families and children from the school who may now have misinformation.

Truthfully I was hoping his announcement would be that he would be taking the students in front of the Capital to pray for the conversion of our country!

Searching for the truth, and thank you in advance for your response.

Dear friend,

If the priest meant that he is taking the students to Mass at the National Cathedral, then the parents of the students should be alerted. Canon law prohibits Catholic priests from actively participating in Protestant services.

However, it is possible that he meant to say, the National Shrine (of the Immaculate Conception). In this case, there is no problem. I suggest that you ask him for clarification.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.