Is it possible that Jesus could have used magic and misdirection during the crucifixion?

This has probably been asked before but I was just wondering that tonight. Because you'll see magicians like Copperfield, Blaine, Angel doing tricks like being put in boxes and then disappearing from them...similar to being put in a tomb and disappearing.

Is there anyway Jesus could have done a trick like that or used a "stunt double" during his crucifixion and walk to Calgary Hill?

Is there any way he would have gotten away with something like that?

[quote="Ben_Sinner, post:1, topic:330062"]
This has probably been asked before but I was just wondering that tonight. Because you'll see magicians like Copperfield, Blaine, Angel doing tricks like being put in boxes and then disappearing from them...similar to being put in a tomb and disappearing.

Is there anyway Jesus could have done a trick like that or used a "stunt double" during his crucifixion and walk to Calgary Hill?

[/quote]

I didn't know Jesus was crucified in Canada! :D

Let me get this straight. You're asking whether the docetic idea that someone else was crucified instead of Jesus. My answer for now: I don't think so. The soldiers aren't stupid. Barring a miracle I don't think the soldiers picked off the wrong guy while Jesus ran away.

There were too many witnesses for something like that to have happened.

I don’t think so. Based on the biblical account, I feel confident that Jesus of Nazareth was actually dead. If you can get a hold of Lee Strobel’s Case for Christ (many libraries carry it), look to Chapter 12: The Medical Evidence: Was Jesus’ death a sham and his resurrection a hoax with Dr. Alexander Metherell.

As to the second theory of finding a lookalike, and convincing that person to agree to be tortured and put to an excruciating death in his place, once again I’d say unlikely.

You can also take into account the fact that the apostles were so convinced the Christ died and rose from the dead that they risked their lives in order to spread the message, most of them becoming martyrs. Furthermore, his mother was present at his crucifixion. A mother would know an imposter when she saw one.

No. It is not possible.

The events being narrated in the Gospels about the Passion, Death, and Resurrection of Our Lord Jesus Christ are very clear on how those days unfolded. Unlike Copperfield and friends, Jesus was not in a prepared stage, but on a *real * cross.

If you look for Chris Angel in Youtube, you will find out many videos proving that many of his illusions are constrained by camera angles, fake crowd and so on...
That crowd witnessing Jesus death was not made of actors. In addition to disciples there were there among the crowd reputable Jews (chief priests with the scribes and elders) and the soldiers. And we can say that the crowd was not so small.

We could assume that the first people legitimate to doubt those events would be the Jews. Yet, they never had doubt about Jesus death. Everyone was sure Jesus was dead. And just remember that even the disciples had doubts at first about Jesus resurrection. As for the Jews, they fabricated that his body was stolen by Jesus' disciples, as despite all maximum security in the tomb, in the third day, he was no longer there (and I guess not in Calgary Hill either :D).

[BIBLEDRB]Matthew 27:31-37[/BIBLEDRB]

[BIBLEDRB]Matthew 27:42-43[/BIBLEDRB]

[BIBLEDRB]Matthew 27:63-66[/BIBLEDRB]

[BIBLEDRB]Matthew 28:11-15 [/BIBLEDRB]

Where is your faith?

I think the answer is much simpler.

1. He could have.
  2. But it would be illogical, since he wanted to redeem humanity.
  3. If Jesus used a trick, humanity would not be redeemed.
  4. Therefor Jesus really and truly died on the cross.

[/quote]

ThomasMartin gave an excellent answer. The thought that struck me was if Jesus got another man to take on the pain and suffering that he himself was trying to avoid, then Jesus was a charlatan and not someone worthy of my love and devotion.

I can not imagine the apostles following Him for 3 years and then they would be willing to go to the ends of the earth preaching and teaching a lie and also die in His name by horible deaths, all over a magic trick. That takes more faith to believe than the true Gospel!

[quote="sweetpetunia, post:4, topic:330062"]
I don't think so. Based on the biblical account, I feel confident that Jesus of Nazareth was actually dead. If you can get a hold of Lee Strobel's Case for Christ (many libraries carry it), look to Chapter 12: The Medical Evidence: Was Jesus' death a sham and his resurrection a hoax with Dr. Alexander Metherell.

As to the second theory of finding a lookalike, and convincing that person to agree to be tortured and put to an excruciating death in his place, once again I'd say unlikely.

[/quote]

As absurd as the idea of Jesus faking His own death is, it has a guaranteed audience in the Islamic world, perhaps as great as the audience for The Protocols of the Elders of Zion.

[quote="COPLAND_3, post:10, topic:330062"]
I can not imagine the apostles following Him for 3 years and then they would be willing to go to the ends of the earth preaching and teaching a lie and also die in His name by horible deaths, all over a magic trick. That takes more faith to believe than the true Gospel!

[/quote]

I think that the answer to do God exsist or not are also answered with that magnificent comment. Thank you and God bless.

[/quote]

The burden of proof would be on the person who made such a claim to prove that is what happened. Not on us to prove that it isn't possible. It would have to be a good enough explanation to show why that the apostles and other witnesses sincerely believed that Jesus was crucified, died, and was buried, rose from the dead on the 3rd day, ascended into heaven, and were willing to die for that belief going around preaching the gospel to potentially hostile people.

There just isn't any evidence for such a conspiracy story. It would make Jesus a liar. But, if you read the gospels one doesn't come away from them thinking Jesus is anything less than a good man.

There would be no good reason for Jesus to fake his own death. Without a motive it seems very unlikely. Occams razor. The simplest explanation is that Jesus really did die and rise from the dead. It best explains all of the data.

Interview with Dr. William Lane Craig on the Resurrection of Jesus
youtube.com/watch?v=EIEwdfGARp8

[/quote]

If this, or anything like it, is what really happened, then the Apostles would not have bothered to die for Him on crosses of their own, and we would not be debating the issue today.

The Apostles believed that Jesus died for our sins at Calvary, and then was raised from the dead on the third day. They were there; they were witnesses, and they had been living with Jesus for three years; they would have noticed a stunt double, and they would have noticed if Jesus had been using make-up to simulate the wounds of the Cross.

[/quote]

He's God silly He doesn't need to use magic (or magick).

He used a green screen. (And only those curious folks in Hollywood think that's really magic).

But returning to reality: No of course not! Like, really?

Not to mention that the explanation of the actual witnesses of these events is that Jesus actually rose from the dead. Who could best ascertain what happened? The eye witnesses from multiple sources who were actually there or people who weren't there conjecturing about it 2000 years later?

And what seals the nail in the coffin is that the earliest skeptics, the Jews, did not claim that Jesus was never crucified or that he wasn't buried or that his tomb was not empty. Instead they claimed that the disciples stole the body. That was their explanation of the empty tomb. But it only confirms that Jesus really was crucified, buried, and that his tomb was empty.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.