Is it possible that the majority of souls could destined for Hell?

As Catholics, we believe in God and the Devil, Heaven and Hell.

When I look around at our this secular world of ours in a Catholic context, and think about who really cares about God and his Commandments, it strikes me that if our catechism is to be believed to the letter, most people would probably be destined for hell!

(Please tell me I’m wrong here)

…and if that is the case the Devil has captured more souls than God.

As my Father-in-law once told me, he doesn’t think God would allow this to happen, because this basically means that the Devil would have won the battle between Good and Evil.

Is it possible that the majority of souls could destined for Hell?

I pray that ALL souls may be redeemed through Jesus Christ our Lord!

The Church teaches that hell is a real possibility. How many, if any, human souls are in hell is a matter of conjecture. It is possible that the majority of human souls end up in hell, it is also possible that a majority of human souls end up in heaven. Its possible that very few souls are in heaven, its possible that there are no souls in hell.

No matter what the "final number’ is, God grants us the grace to make a free choice. His mercy is greater than any of our sins but its up to us to repent and accept His mercy.

Catechism of the Catholic Church:

1056 Following the example of Christ, the Church warns the faithful of the “sad and lamentable reality of eternal death” (GCD 69), also called “hell.”

1057 Hell’s principal punishment consists of eternal separation from God in whom alone man can have the life and happiness for which he was created and for which he longs.

1058 The Church prays that no one should be lost: “Lord, let me never be parted from you.” If it is true that no one can save himself, it is also true that God “desires all men to be saved” (1 Tim 2:4), and that for him “all things are possible” (Mt 19:26).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.