Is it possible to be recieved in the Church sooner?

I am in CCD to become into full communion with the Roman Catholic Church. I understand everything they are teaching me in CCD already because I studied the faith for so long, and I am wondering if it is possible to be received into the Church sooner?

[quote="BVMFatima, post:1, topic:314587"]
I am in CCD to become into full communion with the Roman Catholic Church. I understand everything they are teaching me in CCD already because I studied the faith for so long, and I am wondering if it is possible to be received into the Church sooner?

[/quote]

It is theoretically possible, but whether it is practically possible is up to your pastor. I suspect the answer in your case will be no. At any rate, does it really seem to you that, with Lent upon us, this is really the season to give vent to impatience? Perhaps you may accept this experience willingly as a path to greater prayerfulness and self-abnegation.

[/quote]

The faith is something you live and experience as much as studying. Ccd is as much about the living and experiencing as anything else.

Most such programs finish at Easter, which is only a month and a half away now. If yours is not one of these, and you truly feel ready, the. sk your priest if it is possible to fast track the process.

Mine doesn’t end at Easter, but 2 to 3 months from now :frowning:

[/quote]

Can't wait until Easter? I suggest giving up the impatience for Lent. :D

[quote="BVMFatima, post:4, topic:314587"]
Mine doesn't end at Easter, but 2 to 3 months from now :(

[/quote]

I thought you were being received at Easter? No?

[quote="LittleHannah, post:6, topic:314587"]
I thought you were being received at Easter? No?

[/quote]

Maybe Pentecost if he/she does not require baptism?

At any rate, it is hardly a long time to wait.

2014 for me. Maybe....:(

[/quote]

It's only a few months so I would advise you to be patient. You could always ask your pastor but if you're part of a group he will probably not want to receive you separately. By the way, your status is that of 'candidate' not 'catechumen'. Catechumen are preparing for Baptism.

Last year, when I made the decision to enter RCIA, it was a few months before it even started again in the fall. And then when I saw the schedule, it seemed SO FAR AWAY. No really. I'd already been praying about this for 2-3 or more years. Especially praying after I was married. I was READY nearly a year ago.

I've learned a lot in these past few months. Just last week when the RCIA director told me I had to book another appointment with our pastor "before Lent" and I realized just how fast Lent was upon us. Which means it isn't that far until Easter. Not far at all. I come from a liturgical church and when I was asked last week if I had a desire for the sacraments, I know I LONG for them. I had no idea just how much I longed for the Eucharist until I have had to forego for all these months unless I'm with my Mom's church. Even that though, doesn't feel right to me anymore, even though I would never not receive communion at my mother's church. Only 46 more days unles I receive His body and blood in my new home. 46 days is a blink of an eye. God has done so much in my life since I started on this journey and I can't believe it's nearly done.

I can sympathise. I'd been studying the faith for nigh on fifteen years and - when well enough - had been attending Mass for many of those too by the time I managed to get to the catechism classes last year.

Admittedly, there's not much I've learned about doctrine and practice from the RCIA sessions, but what I *have *been privileged to see in these classes is understanding blossoming, faith being shared, burdens being shouldered together, firm friendships forged, and the Holy Spirit working in people's hearts. It's been so gratifying to see these things that I may well return to these classes in a few years time... as the catechist!

So, although I can understand your desperation to be fully embraced by the Church and to receive the sacraments, there are blessings in waiting.

[quote="Phemie, post:9, topic:314587"]
It's only a few months so I would advise you to be patient. You could always ask your pastor but if you're part of a group he will probably not want to receive you separately. By the way, your status is that of 'candidate' not 'catechumen'. Catechumen are preparing for Baptism.

[/quote]

I was baptized in a Non Denominational Church in the trinitarian formula, but my CCD instructor said since its not on the list of denominations with valid baptisms, I may need to be rebaptized :shrug:

[quote="BVMFatima, post:12, topic:314587"]
I was baptized in a Non Denominational Church in the trinitarian formula, but my CCD instructor said since its not on the list of denominations with valid baptisms, I may need to be rebaptized :shrug:

[/quote]

There is a list of denominations with valid baptisms? And thus another with invalid baptisms?
Is this accessible information.?
:confused:

[quote="cheezey, post:13, topic:314587"]
There is a list of denominations with valid baptisms? And thus another with invalid baptisms?
Is this accessible information.?
:confused:

[/quote]

Yes so for example if you were Baptized a Mormon or Jehovah Witness, you would need a re-baptism.

and how would I find out about others??

[quote="cheezey, post:15, topic:314587"]
and how would I find out about others??

[/quote]

Mind elaborating please? :)

[quote="BVMFatima, post:12, topic:314587"]
I was baptized in a Non Denominational Church in the trinitarian formula, but my CCD instructor said since its not on *the list of denominations with valid baptisms, I may need to be rebaptized *:shrug:

[/quote]

The deacon asked if I was baptized. There was no mention of possibly needing to be rebaptized for this or any other reason.
JWs and Mormons I understand somehow, but what other Christian denominations would this include as a reason? Thanks

[quote="cheezey, post:17, topic:314587"]
The deacon asked if I was baptized. There was no mention of possibly needing to be rebaptized for this or any other reason.
JWs and Mormons I understand somehow, but what other Christian denominations would this include as a reason? Thanks

[/quote]

If you were baptized in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit you are validly baptized. If one was baptized in the name of Jesus or something like that, they would not be validly baptized.

God Bless,
BVMFatima

thanks

[quote="BVMFatima, post:18, topic:314587"]
If you were baptized in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit you are validly baptized. If one was baptized in the name of Jesus or something like that, they would not be validly baptized.

God Bless,
BVMFatima

[/quote]

That's really where the problem with non denominational churches. Its not that they don't have valid baptisms, but rather there is no guarantee since the theology and form is more fluid for lack of a better term. For established/mainline protestant denominations it is fairly well established how they baptize and what they intend.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.