Is it possible to go to confession too often?/

Hi,
I just talked with a priest who said that going to confession everyday is not beneficial. He advised me max once a week. Two other priests from this new church I started going to have advised me to go on a monthly basis or more. I’ve grown up thinking that reconcilliation is an oppertunity for grace and more and that we should take advantage of it when possible. I always figured that I sin, often mortally (Jesus said that even if a man even looks at another woman lustfully, he has commited adultery–same concept can be applied to all sins), and that I should go. Even if no mortal sins, it is good to go. What do you think?

How do you apply this to other sins? I personally go once a week, I too think that this is a wonderful way to receive grace and love this Sacrament.

There is a too often. That happens when you become scrupulous and/or when you spend more time trying to listen to your priest than making a personal effort in growing in spirituality through other means. Having stated my opinion I think that a weekly confession is fine even if there aren’t any mortal sins to account for. I would think that daily Mass and adoration would be more helpful than daily confession.

Every day does seem a bit excessive unless you sin mortally on a daily basis. Once a week, which is what I try to do, is good especially for those sins of the flesh that you mentioned. We must know the mercy of God and allow ourselves time to “just be” in the forgiveness of our Lord. If you should have an habitual sin which occurs daily then your culpability may be reduced on account of the addictive nature of the sin.

Yes graces are received through all of the sacraments, but daily Eucharist provides us with all of the graces necessary to become a saint. So, IMHO, I would recommend weekly confession and daily Communion. Now, you should really get your advice from your confessor who really knows you spiritually AND follow his advice…God Bless…teachccd :slight_smile:

Yes, the sacrament of confession is always beneficial, if one has sins to confess. If you have no sins to confess (who doesn’t sin everyday?) or you are going to confession with things that aren’t sins, your priest is indeed correct.

He advised me max once a week. Two other priests from this new church I started going to have advised me to go on a monthly basis or more.

Keep in mind, though that if in mortal sin, was is obliged to go as soon as possible.

I’ve grown up thinking that reconcilliation is an oppertunity for grace and more and that we should take advantage of it when possible.

Indeed all sacraments are opportunity for grace, and the moral they are received, the more grace. Like all sacraments, unless out of necessity of mortal sin though, one would also be obliged out of obedience to ones confesser if he were to limit. Just as Priests have limited Saint Teresa for a while on how much she could visit the Blessed Sacrament for adoration.

I always figured that I sin, often mortally (Jesus said that even if a man even looks at another woman lustfully, he has commited adultery–same concept can be applied to all sins), and that I should go. Even if no mortal sins, it is good to go. What do you think?

Yes, it is good to go, and good to have the desire to be as perfect and clean as possible.

Your priest would tell you if you are being scrupulous by confessing things which are not sins. Confession is not valid with sins to confess. Otherwise, unless directed otherwise, there is absolutely no reason other than practicality not to confess daily.

It’s not a matter of “too much,” but rather, are you using it to increase in holiness, or in the place of growing in holiness?

If you are using it to increase in holiness, then that’s great! (And you will run out of things to confess, if so - sooner, rather than later.)

But if you are going to Confession in the place of using your self-control, and saying, “Well, I don’t need to develop my self-control because any time I sin I can just go to Confession,” then this is an abuse of the Sacrament of Reconciliation, and it would be one possible reason why a priest might forbid someone from coming to Confession for a specified period of time - so that the person would be forced to develop self-control in order to avoid committing sins, instead of just going ahead and sinning, and then going to Confession.

Personally, without mortal sin, I go once every two week. If I go in a very short time, I tend to forget what I have done wrong and do not allow me to think about it. In the amount of two weeks, it allows me to think more deeply about the consequences of the sins and the spiritual growth of not committing that sin. It also avoids being scrupulous.

If I wait for more than a month, then I basically forget all about it which is bad. :slight_smile:

When I was going through RCIA and we had our “first confession,” I told another of the people (I can’t remember who) that I was planning on going every week. The priest overheard and said that once a month is enough.

In other threads like this, it was mentioned that some go to confession every 2 or 3 days (I think John Paul the Great did). My great-grandmother used to go everyday until the priest told her not to (she had 4 kids, so I guess she had a lot to confess - especially trying to raise my grandfather!). Our priests usually go to confession once every 3 weeks, and I’ve seen a lot of people who will go to confession once a month during First Fridays. I like going once a week since then I can remember any sins (even if they’re venial) to confess.

i think it depends… If you are committing more or less serious sin on a regular basis, you should go as often as you feel it is necessary. I really don’t see why a priest would discourage such a thing unless he just doens’t want to hear confessions that often… which could be the case. I’ve known a lot of priests who only seem to do waht is absolutely necessary… & make excuses about doing anything “extra”… True, i don’t know what all they have to do during the day… but still, how long does a confession take??

Anyway… i believe John Paul II went to confession almost every day…

If i could go every day, i would… but no one in my parish goes to confession… (maybe it’s because the priest isn’t too into… well, that kind of thng… (long story)…

i think that was wrong of the priest… he didn’t even bother to find out the circumstances of … why you planned to go that often…

To make such a blanket statement without knowing details is not right, in my opinion…

as stated in another post… i think a lot of priests just don’t like doing anything more than they have to… I can understand that to a point but confession should be given priority… and doesn’t take taht long… (usually)

yes it is possible, and if one priest so advises it is quite likely, and if more than one priest gives the same advice, it is almost a certainty

I’m still getting mortal and venial through my head and knowing which is what for sure. It wasn’t so long ago I tore down everything I could Catholic because I was mad at it. In reality I was mad at my misconceptions. I tend to think most everything I do is a sin somewhere… trying to get the understanding in my head on that too. I know I’m stressed these days and need to not be, just trust in God.

I go to confession once a month at the recommendation of my now associate pastor

Even if I think something in my head, it is still breaking the commandment. i.e. someone thinks “I hope you die” or “I hope you suffer.” Here you would be breaking the Thou shalt not murder command. I can follow the law, but my heart can be corrupt. This is what was being addressed by Jesus; people who follow the law but in their hearts still wish evil.

That makes perfect sense to me. Seems I’m always in need of going myself and praying to not feel so out of place soon!!! I think it’s just too much on the plate but I know I won’t be jobless forever and I know I can work. Just keep bringing this all to God, cast my cares upon the Lord!

I went through a phase like that before… Someone had to remind me that God is love…
Everyone will always have sins, but I think what we do in confession is give these sins to Jesus on the cross and by that justification, we are able to be united with God again. Remember God loves you!

Why i go to confession is because it just feels so nice to be right with God and I feel my clean slate makes me closer to Him.

I used to go once in a few months, but recently as I have been striving very hard to change my life and become a holier person, I have been going on a weekly basis(but I dont count the days, I go when I feel sinful and my church has mass only twice a week so I go before mass) . Usually by 7 days I feel that I have really wronged God, even though not all the time the sins i commit are mortal.

Recently a priest told me that once a month confessions are enough. And it bugged me alot. I was pretty devastated actually. But reading how alot of these people here go so regularly, it kinda made me realize that this is between me and God.

I love Jesus and feel joy after I give him my weaknesses. I think I will continue my weekly confessions

closed #19

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.