Is it possible to moderately drink without getting drunk?

Hi, I suppose even 1/8 of a bottle of vodka gives you a feeling of drunkenness… What is moderate drinking? Is it allowed at all?

Quote Gal 5:16-25
I say then, walk in the spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lusts of the flesh. [17] For the flesh lusteth against the spirit: and the spirit against the flesh; for these are contrary one to another: so that you do not the things that you would. [18] But if you are led by the spirit, you are not under the law. [19] Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are fornication, uncleanness, immodesty, luxury, [20] Idolatry, witchcrafts, enmities, contentions, emulations, wraths, quarrels, dissensions, sects,

[21] Envies, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like. Of the which I foretell you, as I have foretold to you, that they who do such things shall not obtain the kingdom of God. [22] But the fruit of the Spirit is, charity, joy, peace, patience, benignity, goodness, longanimity, [23] Mildness, faith, modesty, continency, chastity. Against such there is no law. [24] And they that are Christ’ s, have crucified their flesh, with the vices and concupiscences. [25] If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

Modern Catholic Dictionary:

DRUNKENNESS. Overindulgence in alcoholic beverages. On Catholic moral principles, the degree of sinfulness in excessive drinking depends on how this excess is known to affect this particular drinker. It is a grave matter if it is foreseen that this drink will cause one to lose the use of one’s senses or will put one in such a state that he or she is no longer able to distinguish right from wrong. It is a venial matter if one has reason for believing that this amount of drinking, though actually excessive, will neither deprive one of the use of one’s senses or of the power to distinguish right from wrong.

In my own family there is one who consumes 2 -12 ounce bottles of beer per week.

Peace

Of course it is. Having a glass or two doesn’t render you unable to function. Don’t fall into the fallacy that any alcohol is sinful. Remember the story of the wedding at Cana, Jesus’ first public miracle in which he turned water into wine. He would not have created a situation where people would fall into sin. This is not to say that a wedding guest couldn’t have gotten drunk if they chose to over-indulge, but simply by drinking the wine they were not sinning. Also, during the feast of Passover, which was what Jesus and his apostles were doing at the last supper, normally 4 glasses of wine are drunk as part of the ritual.

Yes moderate drinking is allowed.

As a general rule, if someone’s drinking is causing problems to those around them, it is time to stop.

Many factors are involved as to how alcohol may affect a person. Your weight, how much you have eaten etc. Moderate drinking is acceptable but the rule of thumb prescribed by physicians is one drink per day for woman and two for men. Drinking can be very easy for some to tolerate but for others a problem. Each person needs to evaluate their own individual response to alcohol and respect what they find out which could be that even one drink affects them inappropriately.

It’s such a fine line. If this event already took place, I would confess it and let the priest decide. Otherwise, I would amend my life now and be sure not to drink in possible excess.

LOVE! :heart:

Overindulgence vs indulgence. :thumbsup:

Of course you can drink alcohol without getting drunk! A glass of wine or a martini before dinner should not affect any normal adult.

When you can’t drive home, the cop will let you know you had too much & it’s time for confession. :rolleyes:

This is a crazy way to put it, but in some ways it’s the only one that makes sense: “My limit is one past my limit.”

In other words, it’s hard to know, with drinking, when enough is enough, because with each additional drink your ability to monitor yourself is reduced. :wink:

Then shouldn’t it be “my limit is one before my limit”? :smiley:

It depends on who you are? First time and young drinker? Yep. That’ll likely work, depending on the size of the person, the size of the meal, and the size of the bottle.

Two posts after you one noted someone drinking 2 beers, once per week. Three more below that we have a medical rule of thumb of 2 beers, once per day for men, half that for women.

It depends on you and with experience you’ll have no problem finding indulgence without overindulgence. :slight_smile: Edit: But above, some folks note difficulty in finding “that spot.” Which is fair.

I’ve been having two doses of alcohol a day for 30 years or more, have been drunk once in that time when someone else made a mixed drink for me.

One-eighth of a bottle of vodka is quite a bit of alcohol, more than two shots. So it would depend, as previously stated, the size of the person drinking, the period of time over which the liquor was consumed, whether it was taken with other food or drink.

Two vodka and tonics over the course of a four-hour party at which food is consumed would probably qualify as moderate. Two shots in a row? Probably not.

To re post an older post of mine:

I will answer in general – not to specifics (numbers of drinks etc)

When it is excessive there is sin. When drinking is contrary to temperance or health etc.

Examples of when drinking is grave sin (mortal sin) would be - getting “drunk” -that is -total loss of ones reason, drinking leading to other mortal sins, drunk driving etc.

Going beyond temperance can be venial sin (I set aside any question of driving…that brings other aspects into things).

(And of course a person with a history of overdoing it -ought to take great care - and if any have say alcoholism - that is a “never drink” situation)

And one ought to look a new research as well in terms of health.

Catechism:

1809 Temperance is the moral virtue that moderates the attraction of pleasures and provides balance in the use of created goods. It ensures the will’s mastery over instincts and keeps desires within the limits of what is honorable. The temperate person directs the sensitive appetites toward what is good and maintains a healthy discretion: "Do not follow your inclination and strength, walking according to the desires of your heart."72 Temperance is often praised in the Old Testament: "Do not follow your base desires, but restrain your appetites."73 In the New Testament it is called “moderation” or “sobriety.” We ought "to live sober, upright, and godly lives in this world."74

To live well is nothing other than to love God with all one's heart, with all one's soul and with all one's efforts; from this it comes about that love is kept whole and uncorrupted (through temperance). No misfortune can disturb it (and this is fortitude). It obeys only [God] (and this is justice), and is careful in discerning things, so as not to be surprised by deceit or trickery (and this is prudence).75 

scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s1c1a7.htm#I

An 1/8th a bottle of Vodka is your lower limit as s minimum to drink!!! If so then the answer is no!

But the reality is someone can drink several beers or several glasses of wine or a mixed drink and not become drunk.

You drink wine at mass, are you drunk after?

Getting buzzed or tipsy is not sinful. On weekends, I usually have 2 beers and one glass of wine each night (Fri, Sat, Sun). But I’m also a big guy in good physical condition, and I have high tolerance.

It is possible to drink in moderation, but what that means in practice depends upon what you are drinking, your bodybuild and body mass, fatigue state and yes, your genes.

So know your limits and always have a plan B for not driving should you take your body past those limits.

ICXC NIKA

It was asked, at Cana, why the best wine brought out last (what Jesus made) instand of first (as was the generel rule:best first, then the less then the good stuff)! :slight_smile:

Keeping in mind, if I am not mistaken, that the alcohol content of wine in Biblical times was not as high as it is today.

Even four glasses today is not too much for some; definitely is for others.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.