Is It Possible To Praise God In Hell?

I don’t know if I heard this or just said it myself but I would like to say

“God I would even Praise Your Name from the depth of Hell.”

However, where there is no Grace I don’t believe it is possile to praise God. I fear I would most likely curse Him in Hell.

St. Micheal the Arch Angel defend us in battle be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the Devil. May God rebuke him we humbly pray and do thou oh prince of the Heavenly Host by the power God cast into Hell Saten and all the evil spirits who prowel about the world seeking the ruin of souls.

As we often read in Scripture, it would be a place where the wicked will gnash their teeth and curse, so I do not think there will be any praise of God in hell.

According to the Catholic Encyclopedia, every inhabitant of Hell has abandoned all goodness of their own choice. To praise God requires some goodness, so no, the damned can’t praise God.

I think that what you mean to pray is, “I would even praise you if I was being tortured.” Which is certainly possible for a person to do, though possibly very difficulty for many. A lot of martyrs have done this.

The thing is, Hell is the state of complete separation from God. Why would anyone who has completely separated himself from God want to praise him?

I really think what you’re after is “even if I was tortured, I would praise God.”

While it’s a beautiful sentiment, none of us really knows for absolute certain that this is true until put to the test.

I agree with this. I don’t see how it is possible to praise God in Hell.

That said, if I was ever being tortured, I would hope that I would be able to praise God even while being tortured. I want to be able to praise God every moment of my life. :slight_smile:

Me too :).

This is an oxymoron since someone in Hell is there willfully and hardenly of their own choice to positively and permanently reject God or give Him praise.

Here is an apparent contradiction and where the literalist fundamentalists get in trouble:

Phillipians 2:8-11
Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. 9 For this reason also, God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, 10 so that at the name of Jesus EVERY KNEE WILL BOW, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Recognition and respect for divine authority are not the same thing as praise and worship. There is no praise that can be given to God of free without His grace. Those in hell have no grace except for divine permission to continue to exist immortally as a created object of perpetual shame and sorrow. Therefor lacking any merit to give legitimate praise, even a cohearsed and false sort of praise intended to mock God uttered by any tortured soul and compelled by the demons therein would by definition not be sincere praise but rather blasphemy. Neither can the soul in hell do nothing of itself as an expressive act of freewill. Ergo its impossible for a damned soul in hell to praise God. All such a soul can do is submit to its fate and God’s supreme authority and its eternal suffering - even if that punishment is to bow or knell in humility and recognition of the fact that they are damned by their own choice every time a person on heaven or earth speaks the name “Jesus Christ”.

Moral of the story - we all should often make short aloud prayers like: “Praise be to Jesus Christ”. That should keep the damned devils occupied getting up and down genuflecting in perpetual acts of admission and submission to God’s supremacy. And, ironically it might be the damned soul’s only temporary relief from their hellish tormentors as they are momentarily permitted to kneel then go back to being tormented. How’s that for pulling the devil’s chain? :thumbsup:

James

That is the most odd, unusual, and interesting way of putting it I’ve heard. Love it! :smiley:

But who are the hellish tormentors? Aren’t they being punished also?

Of course I can’t really speculate that the inanimate supernatural fire needs to bow but I’d imagine that every damned creature down there ( including the demonic tormentors) hates themselves as much as the next devil. A moment of distraction from self loathing to get down on bended knee might afford a moment of relief from self torment. No? :wink:

James

I never thought about it that way, I’ll have to give it some thought.

The demons and Satan are being tormented in Hell just as the damned are. In fact, their torment is worse.

Absolutely agree. Just as there are higher rewards in heaven there are more severe punishments reserved for the worse impenitent sinners - the fallen angels perhaps forced to suffer the most severe. A person who murders innocent children through abortion and does not atone is going to receive an unimaginably harsh punishment compared to the person who entertained an illicit thought or slandered somone. But any degree of hell is permanent separation from God and more intense than anything we could ever suffer on earth by any disease, violent act or human inflicted pain. :eek:

James

It’s also a place where most Christians end up, according to Scripture. So do they just give up and become atheists upon arrival in hell?

But the Church tells us that most people trying to get into heaven won’t make it. So your statement that people go to hell willfully simply is not true for everyone.

I’m having some problems with some of the judgement theories/beliefs that I’ve been reading lately. It’s probably my understanding or lack thereof.

I’ve seen a lot of people say that we choose Heaven or Hell when we die. I don’t know if I can square that with Catholic Theology - Christ judges us, we don’t judge ourselves. If we did, we would all be in Heaven, and that would nullify Mathew Chapter 7:

21 Not every one that saith to me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven: but he that doth the will of my Father who is in heaven, he shall enter into the kingdom of heaven. 22 Many will say to me in that day: Lord, Lord, have not we prophesied in thy name, and cast out devils in thy name, and done many miracles in thy name? 23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, you that work iniquity.

This section of Mathew has always bothered me, especially verse 23. It sounds in 22 that people were doing the right thing, but in 23 they weren’t?

Without discussing the first point, I don’t think anyone in Hell is an atheist…no, they’ve made a conscious decision to reject God with the full knowledge of His existence. This would be especially true of the fallen angels.

Sorry, but the Church does not proclaim anyone to be in Hell, so I don’t see how you could arrive at this first point. Are there any CCC references you could share with us to back up that notion? Also, it is only a mortal sin, which must be *freely *committed, that sends someone to Hell. If a person has freely committed a mortal sin and were to die right after (without Sacramental Absolution or perfect contrition) then they’ve made their decision.

This is a revelation to me. There are no atheists in hell? You mean that if I just don’t believe all this stuff I’ve been taught at church and private schools since the age of 2, then I’m not going to hell??

I did not say that the church proclaims any specific person to be in hell, although I was of the assumption that quite a few priests teach that most Christians won’t make it to heaven. There are some pretty clear biblical references that support this. Am I just all wrong about that?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.