Is it possible to rely too much on God?

In the bible, the second temtation Satan places before Jesus is to take him to the top of the Temple and dare him to jump off so that angels would prevent him from falling to his death. Jesus replies “You shall not put the Lord, your God, to the test.”

I know we are supposed to rely on God to some extent, but my question is: at what point does relying on the Lord become testing him?

I think when relying on God becomes an excuse to ignore our obligations, then perhaps we would be testing Him. For example, paragraph 2288 in the CCC says: “Life and physical health are precious gifts entrusted to us by God. We must take reasonable care of them, taking into account the needs of others and the common good.” This, of course, flows from the 5th commandment. Thus, if you were seriously sick, for example, and you refused all medical aid simply because you wanted to rely on God to save you, than you would be testing/temping Him.

Yes. Another poster here thinks that God is going to bail him/her out of debt/financial woes and not be accountable. While it may happen and God does intervene, personal input-action is needed besides prayers. We need to be as dedicated to our own health and welfare as possible. There are situations where we must be totally dependent on God due to circumstances that we have no control over, but we need to work with God as well as pray to and depend on God. Peace.

So true. I’ve been doing the Mary, Undoer of Knots Novena and through it some issue have been brought to the surface in my life . Almost as if God is saying to me “you need to handle this”. I am asking Him for his help in handling them, but I can’t just expect them to go away on their own. God will show me the way, but I have to take the action and follow it.

That reminds me a a familiar prayer when I was in school - I wouldn’t study, but the day of the test I would pray that I would pass it. I think that’s pretty common - dumb, but common! :wink:

Well, God did tell us he would provide for all our needs, bible also tell us God will not give us more than we can bear.

While I do not believe in the ‘prosperity gospel’ as many others do, but I have personally seen a few people receive money in very strange ways and at a time when it is most needed. One good friend of mine, about 20 yrs ago, right after he was saved and became a Pentecostal, received a sudden $50,000. Someone had left him this money in their will from his childhood, strangely it came at a time when his family were having financial problems, he ended up giving half of it to his new church.

Somehow, I think if God created the entire universe and all that is in it, he would have no problems making money suddenly ‘appear’ in certain peoples lives.

I’m reminded of a story;

With a major hurricane, a person decides not to evacuate because God will protect him. The storm comes and water starts rising. The person is forced unto his roof to survive. A boat comes and the people beckon him to come on. He says, “No, God will protect me.”. The boat leaves. Later, as the water is rising and the man is forced to sit on his chimney, a helicopter comes and tries to save him. “No, God will protect me” he replies again. The helicopter leaves. The water continues to rise and the man drowns. In Heaven, he asks God “Why didn’t you save me?”. God answered, “I sent a warning of the storm, I sent a boat, I sent a helicopter. What more did you want?”

We should trust on God, but we have to work too.

I understand your point, but really, what would the problem be for God to somehow miraculously make the waters stop or part, so a man could walk right out?

Plus, an event such as this would prove to so many people there is something more controlling this world…there could be no other explanation than divine intervention. He parted the Red sea for all those people to cross in a supernatural manner, when he could have accomplished the same thing by some other natural means, but point is, he chose to show his power then, something like this would be a great thing for the modern world to see imo.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.