Is it proper to walk around a college campus praying the Rosary?

As part of the Catholic Newman center on my campus some students thought during lent it would be a good evangelization tool as well as a great way to pray as a group to walk around campus praying the Rosary aloud each night.

While I think this is a great idea I'm wondering if this is an appropriate way to pray...

Matthew 6:5-6
“When you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners [a]so that they may be seen by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. 6 But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you"

Is praying the Rosary outside in direct opposition to this passage?

Your answer/clarification would be greatly appreciated
God Bless

Hi,

I know of a group that meets at a certain location on campus where they pray the Rosary on a regular basis. It’s a good witness without being showy. Walking around while praying the Rosary can be distracting for those who are praying and can appear to others as a desire for attention. I wouldn’t advise it.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.