Is it required to see a priest for confession?

I'm a catholic girl and I was just wonder if you have sinned (any type of sin nothing specific), is it required that you have to see a priest for forgiveness/penance? Does just saying it personally to God through a prayer work just as well, or do you have to confess it to a priest? At my church they don't often have sessions where there is priest available and I rely on my parents to take me to church, which they're busy pretty often. Plus, I've only gone through the sacrament of reconciliation once two years ago, and it just honestly made me a little uncomfortable telling them everything wrong I've done and I sometimes feel embarassed even though they are sworn to secrecy and they do not judge you.

These links should give you the answers that you need. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by this, please contact Catholic Answers directly.
Recommended Reading:

[LIST]
*] Confession
*]The Forgiveness of Sins
*]Can Catholics confess through private prayer?
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.