Is it righteous for to show my real colors?

Because my atheist friends has been calling me an hypocrite
Hypocrite means pretender,
But according to my book of life. After God touched my heart and showed me the true way of life.
Going to mass everyday and praying the rosary everyday.
I see no evidence that I’m pretending to be a Catholic.
I’m still a learning catholic for now on.
I posted a post on facebook about me having enough on people calling me a hypocrite.
And those post are like announcing those people who is calling me one, but I did not mentioned their name.
I’m a former atheist. Now a loving Catholic, asking you a question if its righteous for me to post that.

If I were you I would ask that friend why is he or she calling me a hypocrite and offer proofs of it. Then you will see what they mean to say and respond to these accusations or… that person will most likely fend it off and thus prove they had no basis for their allegation.
It is far more satisfactory to prove the abusive atheists wrong rather than enter an endless trail of name-calling and give them satisfaction by being defensive. :laughing:
If you post that you are tired of it, many may interpret it that you are lamenting because the accuser “had a point”.

Blockquote f I were you I would ask that friend why is he or she calling me a hypocrite and offer proofs of it. Then you will see what they mean to say and respond to these accusations or… that person will most likely fend it off and thus prove they had no basis for their allegation.
It is far more satisfactory to prove the abusive atheists wrong rather than enter an endless trail of name-calling and give them satisfaction by being defensive. :laughing:
If you post that you are tired of it, many may interpret it that you are lamenting because the accuser “had a point”.

Well I didnt mean that they call me a hypocrite for a reason. But what if they call me a hypocrite and abused that word? They think Im still into games and Im still mean and all, Im now a nice guy I attend everyday mass pray the rosary and stuff like that. Its just so annoying that it gets in my nerves like it needs to stop by telling them that its getting out of hand.

God knows and it’s what He thinks of you that matters.

Oh if it stresses you so much tell them alright. It’s no good being eaten up inside by their lack of sense just because they are disapproving of your decision. I don’t consider it a sign of lack of righteousness to call a falsehood for what it is. You know you are not a hypocrite and they are just a bunch of illogical name-calling gang. What about a freedom? Nobody in the Church calls someone who was born a Catholic but discovers he actually doesn’t believe a hypocrite. Everyone in this case invokes freedom because it is a case of free will and honesty.

You will know who your friends are by the way they treat and speak and of you. perhaps it is time to develop new friends esp. with
in the church.

Part of the name-calling may be motivated by the fact that you have abandoned the ranks. You have rejected their atheism, and perhaps the fact that you are now challenging yourself to live up to a higher standard is in some sense convicting to them.

And then sometimes I realize I am too often a hypocrite. I suppose part of the reason for that, is that I am trying to live up to a standard that is so very very high. I will always fall short, I will always need his forgiveness. Am I a hypocrite when I fail to live up to the standards that I do embrace? Maybe…! This is such a humbling way to live - but so rich and full.

With all due respect, and I very much apologize if what I’m about to say offends you, but attending daily Mass and praying the Rosary does not a non-hypocrite make. We have to practice what we preach outside the church as well as inside it.

I would ask these friends why they think you’re a hypocrite. I’ve noticed that many people - and I include myself in this - often do hypocritical things or fail to live up to our own standards without even realizing it. And growing spiritually is a process that doesn’t happen overnight. It may be that something you say or do isn’t yet as consistent with “I’m a different person now” as you thought it was. Of course, it’s also possible that their accusations are baseless, in which case, again asking them for an explanation would give you that answer.

I apologize again if what I’ve said offended you. But I know I’m not as virtuous as I want to be, and I often mess up in ways I don’t realize until someone else points it out to me. I hope you can find answers and continue to grow into the person you were meant to be, as we all should.

If this were happening to me, I would question myself as to whether they are true friends or not.
It would seem they are not from what you have told us. But please, stop posting on FaceBook. You are not doing anything that will change them or help your situation. If you want to be Catholic, be Catholic. You don’t need to argue about it with people.

People tend to get upset when we find God and become filled with the joy and mission of God.

It’s a typical reaction. Tell them that. :dove::pray:

Not a good idea, their proofs will be intended to attack, belittle and attempt to tear down a new found faith so their friend goes back to his or her old pre Christian ways.

Just be nice and tell them you are praying for them. Don’t fight, debate or dispute.

A priest once said on EWTN that Christians should be wary of saying this to other people or be wary of how we say it. To make sure it does not sound like a threat or a way to annoy the other. He said the important part is the prayer not us announcing it to the person we pray for. Considering the internet is devoid of some of the personal interaction like hearing the voice, seeing the face expression, I think it is most likely to be misunderstood when you say “I will pray for you” to someone who is not Christian or even to a Christian. This phrase does have a hint of “I think you are wrong and I hope God shows it to you”.

My priest, when I was having similar issues Said

Be nice, don’t fight, stick with Catholic teaching in your life, and pray for them and tell them you will.

How that can be seen as a threat escapes me, but I do think that Priest was perhaps not speaking of real prayer, ?

I tell everyone, atheist, agnostic or religious, Christian or not that I will pray for them.

People that are atheist that are angry or living immoral lives will indeed sometimes lash out when told you will pray for them. I just pray for them without saying anything. It serves no purpose to tell them.

I disagree, they are not strangers, they are friends. Let God shine through, even though others reject it initially.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.