Is it safe for catholics to own a quran

Hi,

If I wish to learn about the Quran, is it safe for me to own one? If yes, what are the necessary measures to be taken?

Thanks
basil_88

Why would it be unsafe? It’s just a book you can buy at any bookstore? I don’t follow?

It all depends on how well you know the Catholic Faith first.

For example: When was the last time you read the “Catechism of the Catholic Church, Second Edition” and the “New Testament”?

You can’t do legitimate educational research if you haven’t read the above books recently to insure you know and understand the Doctrine (Dogma) of the Catholic Church.

Do you know your Catholic faith 100% yet? If not, I’d spend my time there first.

Also, if you have young, impressionable people living with you who don’t know their Catholic faith, I wouldn’t bother with that till they became solid in their faith. Otherwise, it could cause trouble.

Roman Catholic Doctrine Vs. The Doctrinal Teaching of the Word of God

Eternal life is a merited reward [1821, 2010]. - Roman Catholicism
Eternal life is the free gift of God (Romans 6:23)

No one can know if he will attain eternal life [1036, 2005] - Roman Catholicism
The believer can know that he has eternal life by the Word of God (1 John 5:13)

The Roman Catholic Church is necessary for salvation [846]. - Roman Catholicism
There is salvation in no one but the Lord Jesus Christ, “for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men, by which we must be saved” (Acts 4:12)

Purgatory is necessary to atone for sin and clean the soul [1030-1031]. - Roman Catholicism
Purgatory does not exist. Jesus made purification for sins on the cross (Hebrews 1:3)

Mary was preserved from all stain of original sin from the first instant of her conception (the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception) [490-492].
Mary, a descendant of Adam, was born in sin (Psalm 51:5; Romans 5:12)

Mary is the Mother of the Church [963, 975]. - Roman Catholicism
Mary was the earthly mother of Jesus ( John 2:1)

The Magisterium is the authoritative teacher of the Church. [85-87]. - Roman Catholicism
The Holy Spirit is the authoritative teacher of the church (John 14:26; John 16:13, I John 2:27)

The pope, as the Bishop of Rome, is the successor of Peter [882, 936] - Roman Catholicism
Peter had no successor, nor was he a pope.

The pope is infallible in his authoritative teaching [891]. - Roman Catholicism
God alone is infallible (Numbers 23:19)

Scripture and Tradition together are the Word of God [81, 85, 97, 182]. - Roman Catholicism
Scripture is the Word of God (John 10:35, 2 Timothy 3:15-17, 2 Peter 1:20-21). Tradition is the words of men (Mark 7:1-13).

The sacrificial work of redemption is continually carried out through the Sacrifice of the Mass. [1364,1405, 1846]. - Roman Catholicism
The sacrificial work of redemption was finished when Christ gave His life for us on the cross (Ephesians 1:7, Hebrews 1:3).

God desires that consecrated bread and wine be worshiped as divine. [1378-1381] - Roman Catholicism
God forbids the worship of any object, even t hose intended to represent Him (Exodus 20:4-5, Isaiah 42:8)

Justification is lost through mortal sin [1033, 1855, 1874] - Roman Catholicism
Justification cannot be lost. Those whom God justifies will be saved from the wrath of God (Romans 5:8-9).

Justification is furthered by sacraments and good works [1212, 1392, 2010] - Roman Catholicism
Justification is the imputation of the perfect righteousness of God (2 Corinthians 5:21). In Christ the believer has been made complete (Colossians 2:10).

Salvation is attained by cooperating with grace through faith, good works, and participation in the sacraments [183, 1129, 1815, 2002]. - Roman Catholicism
Salvation is attained by grace through faith apart from works (Ephesians 2:8-9). Good works are the result, not the cause, of salvation (Ephesians 2:10).

Mary, “the All-Holy,” lived a perfectly sinless life [411, 493]. - Roman Catholicism
Mary was a sinner; God alone is sinless (Luke 18:19, Romans 3:23, Revelation 15:4).

Mary was a virgin before, during, and after the birth of Christ [496-511]. - Roman Catholicism
Mary remained a virgin until after the birth of Jesus (Matthew 1:25). Later she had other children (Matthew 13:55-56, Psalm 69:8).

Each Sacrifice of the Mass appeases God’s wrath against sin [1371, 1414]. - Roman Catholicism
The once-for-all sacrifice of the cross fully appeased God’s wrath against sin. (Hebrews 10:12-18).

The Bishops, with the Pope, as their head, rule the universal church. [883, 894-896]. - Roman Catholicism
Christ, the head of the body is the Head of the Church. (Colossians 1:18).

The faithful receive the benefits of the cross in fullest measure through the Sacrifice of the Mass [1366, 1407]. - Roman Catholicism
Believers receive the benefits of the cross in fullest measure in Christ through faith (Ephesians 1:3-14).

God has exalted Mary in heavenly glory as Queen of Heaven and Earth [966]. She is to be praised with special devotion [971, 2675]. - Roman Catholicism
The name of the Lord is to be praised, for He alone is exalted above heaven and earth (Psalm 148:13). God commands, “You shall have no other gods before Me.” (Exodus 20:3).

Mary is the co-mediator to whom we can entrust all our cares and petitions 9 968-970, 2677] - Roman Catholicism
Christ Jesus is the one mediator to whom we can entrust all our cares and petitions (1 Timothy 2:5, John 14:13-14, 1 Peter 5:7).

Mary is the co-redeemer, for she participate with Christ in the painful act of redemption [618, 964, 968, 970]. - Roman Catholicism
Christ alone is the Redeemer, for He alone suffered and died for sin (1 Peter 1:18-19).

The sacrifice of the cross is perpetuated in the Sacrifice of the Mass [1323, 1382] - Roman Catholicism
The Sacrifice of the cross is finished (John 19:30).

Indulgences dispensed by the Church for acts of piety release sinners from temporal punishment [1471-1473]. - Roman Catholicism
Jesus releases believers from their sins by His blood. (Revelation 1:5).

The Magisterium has the right to define truth found only obscurely or implicitly in revelation. [66, 88, 2035, 2051]. - Roman Catholicism
No one has the right to go beyond what is written in Scripture (1 Corinthians 4:6, Proverbs 30:5-6).

Scripture and Tradition together are the Church’s supreme role of faith [80, 82]. - Roman Catholicism
Scripture is the church’s rule of faith (Mark 7:7-13, 2 Timothy 3:16-17).

You forgot:

Established ~33 A.D. (to account for misdating) - Catholic Church
Established ~1500 A.D. - Protestantism

1 Like

I don’t really see any problem with owing a Quran, there is no innate reason that the book should be feared.

However a point I would bear in mind, is that despite the fact it may contain or reflect some truths, it does not contain the fullness of truth. This fullness of truth, as Catholics know, is only found in Him who is the Way, the Truth and the Life.

God Bless

Why not? But why would you buy one. Get a copy from the library. I tried reading it. Impossible. And consider there is another book that goes with it. How Mohammed interperted it is what is important and he contradicted himself a number of times.

I suggest reading THE POLITICALLY INCORRECT GUIDE TO ISLAM. About 200 pages. It will give you the gist of what this “religion” is all about. You can get it at the library.

I own a Koran, a Book of Mormon, the Bhagavad Gita, Dharmapada, Rig Vedas, Cults of the Roman Empire, books on Buddhism and Hinduism, you name it. I think to be able to refute the claims of another religion or to try to discuss religion with them you have to know about them. Having primary sources is essential. There’s nothing wrong with having a Koran.

Its ok.I;ve read books on all the different religions.It will tell you what muslims believe.

I’ve got an Arabic-only Qur’an and two English translations in my house. They’re critical reading if you want to witness to Muslims.

I don’t see anything wrong with it. I have a couple laying around the house along with the Bhagavad Gita and various Buddhist texts.

I have always find the Quran compelling and strong in words. I presume I should have my Bible and a strong companion by my side should I read the Quran. :slight_smile:

Thanks

Be very careful. Qurans have been known to attack their owners in their beds. Not too long ago, a man purchased a Quran, and five days later the Quran met him at the front door with .44 revolver as the man was coming home from work. That man bought a Quran, and paid with his life. Most often a Quran will try to strangle its owner, but there have been documented cases of Qurans drowning their owners in the bathtub. Obviously, you shouldn’t keep one if you have children around, and many states have passed laws saying that if someone is killed or injured by your Quran you can face both civil and criminal penalties. So be very careful.

Perhaps JackQ if one buys a Koran one should destroy all the paperwork so as not leave a trace back to the owner? :slight_smile:

I have a Koran also but as others have said, i find it a pretty incoherant, repetitive and tiresome book to read. I think though it is very educational to read such a book in order to get a fuller picture of what Islam is.

Perhaps you should blot out allah and add the name Jesus, or God just to on the safe side.
If allah is in fact a false god, is reading the praises Idolatry?
Could you pick up a demonic presents through it?

[quote=basil_88]Is it safe for catholics to own a quran
[/quote]

Yes, but not a harem. :tsktsk:

I see a few people saying that don’t see a problem with it… What about the fact it is a continuous praise of a false “god”? I bought one a while back and I am wondering if there is any chance it attributes in any way.

“Prudent” might be a more apt word than “safe”

Then it would depend on WHY [your motive] for doing so.

PRAY about tit

GBY

It’s a book. It contains false ideas about God and might be “dangerous” in that sense to a Catholic reader not grounded in their faith, but reading a thing does not mean willing or doing that thing. Non-Christians who study the Bible aren’t inherently praising Jesus just by reading about Him, and it’s the same the other way around.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.