Is it selfish to personalize a collective prayer?

The usual Catholic missal says: “Lamb of God, you take away the sins of the world. Have mercy on us. Lamb of God, you take away the sins of the world. Have mercy on us. Lamb of God, you take away the sins of the world. Grant us peace.”

Is it selfish to personalize it like so?

“Lamb of God, you take away my sins. Have mercy on me. Lamb of God, you take away my sins. Have mercy on me. Lamb of God, you take away my sins. Grant me peace.”

As a private prayer I see nothing wrong with it. If it at Mass or in the liturgy you should stick with what is proper. Peace.

Since it’s part of the liturgy, I would say leave it alone. You are included in the prayer already…the Lamb was sacrificed for all. there is no need to personalize it. That sacrifice happened for you…and everyone in the world.

As far as I am aware being selfish is one of the ‘passions’ - not one of the vices.
paduard

Well, since the OP is quoting the missal, I’m thinking he might be referring to the context of the Mass. So, along those lines, if a priest cannot change the words of the liturgy in any way, certainly we cannot either.
Remember, Mass is not a private prayer.

I occ. use the invocation of the “lamb” as a personal prayer, just not in the Mass or in the liturgy. I am assuming that is what the poster was wondering about. Peace.

Maybe the OP could clarify?

I was thinking the same thing. My daily prayers don’t include any prayers from the Mass, I guess because all the prayers we say at Mass are for those present and participating in the Mass.

Do your daily prayers never include the Our Father?

I guess I’m coming at this from a different perspective. In Eastern Christianity, everything flows forth from the liturgy and liturgical prayers are frequently used in personal prayers, so the concept of using the “Lamb of God” prayer in personal prayer isn’t strange to me.

As far as what the OP describes, if used in personal prayer, I just see it as a variant of the Jesus Prayer. I personally wouldn’t change the words of the prayers, but that’s just me. I don’t think it is wrong. It would be kind of like changing “Our Father” to “My Father”.

Some prayers are prescribed.
They are written to be prayed “as is”. I mean, the Our Father is in the Bible.
We pray it as it was taught to us.
Certainly one can always form their own personal original prayers based on a theme…but I don’t think it’s wise to just alter with the prescribed and rote prayers of the Church…

“My Father” does indeed, feel and sound very selfish…if prayer can be called selfish in the first place…we teach children to not only pray for the sick in their families, but to add “and for all the sick”.
For the hungry in our city, and for all who hunger throughout the world.
Most prayer intentions are written this way as an example.
Spontaneous prayer is encouraged, but we need not re=invent the wheel so to speak.
And again, in the context of Mass, we can’t change the prayers.

No info as to what context the OP meant yet.
Peace.

Oops, I was wrong. Yes, my daily prayers absolutely include the Our Father but I think that is the only prayer from the Mass that I pray. Thank you for bringing that to my attention. :slight_smile:

The Lord’s Prayer (Our Father) is part of the Rosary and included in the 15 prayers of St. Bridget that I pray every day.

I also pray the Divine Mercy Chaplet every day at 3:00PM or very close to that time.

I’ve just never included the Lamb of God prayer in my daily prayers.

God Bless You

Oh, how we legitimize everything. A personal prayer outside of Mass or in the LOTH is just that; a personal prayer. The Our Father? perfect as it is. Praying for all those who pray the best they know how. Peace.

The more I think about it I agree with you, Mary Estelle. :thumbsup: (I’m sorry I did not quote you Mary Estelle). I feel that the prayers we each say in our private prayer life is just that, private. The Most Holy Trinity hears every prayer that is prayed and God answers all prayers according to His will.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.